Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-01-21-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXIV] Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Last few minutes. Luger is working really hard in this match. He's not the smoothest wrestler, but he's trying. Scott Hall loved to feed Luger way too many atomic drops in a row. Kevin Nash and Syxx interfere when Luger goes for the rack and Luger keeps him both down. They are teasing the DQ finish forever before they finally deliver it. Great stuff. I actually want to see this whole match now, which surprises me. The NWO starts beating on Luger, but it doesn't last, as The Steiners make the save and we have a big brawl. I'm surprised at how good everyone involved in this looks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty good action here, with Luger stepping up his game and busting out some new things. Luger holds off Nash and Syxx for awhile before Syxx connects with a leg drop off the turnbuckle to confirm the inevitable DQ. Luger is swarmed but WCW finally makes a save, as the Steiners run out to even things up. The nitpicker in me wishes Eddie Guerrero were out there because of his issue with Syxx, as that would have done a lot for him, but this is a solid enough ending to a Clash concept that was sort of past its sell-by date.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-01-21-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXIV] Lex Luger vs Scott Hall
  • 6 months later...

Fairly heated last few minutes before the inevitable Nash/Syxx interference. Luger actually holds them off for quite a while and does an admirable job of it. He's been booked fairly well as one of WCW's top babyface defenders against the Outsiders and Hogan. He picked up the first real victory for them at Starrcade and here he successfully went one on three against the three biggest nWo members outside of Hogan (well, Syxx is probably arguable). Steiners come out to even the odds and we get a decent brawl to close the show. Scott Steiner looked rough here, btw. That mullet had seen better days and he looks bloated to heck. Never really thought about Eddie, but yeah, he probably could've done with the exposure there.