Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-10-WCW-Nitro] DDP, Sting and Randy Savage

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

It's really cool to see DDP emerging as a star in these segments. He's getting a "DDP" chant by this time. This time around, he's in street clothes and throws a chair in the ring to sit down and talk. He points out that it's obvious he has a big bullseye on his forehead, and while he may regret this, he's tired of running. If something is going to happen, let it happen right now.

Sting and Randy Savage immediately come through the crowd. They do their normal intimidation routine with the baseball bat. DDP somehow gets over by not leaving the ring or running away during all of this, which is way, way cool. The crowd is AWESOME for this, as I'm not sure fans today would understand the story.

Another great DDP segment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DDP with the Jim Duggan of putting a chair in the ring and sitting down. Both Sting and Savage arrive through the crowd and actually get in the ring with DDP. Talk about rub. Sting ends up handing the bat off to DDP. Sting felt right in this angle but not so much Savage. He's just too uncontrollable.

It's really cool to see DDP emerging as a star in these segments. He's getting a "DDP" chant by this time.

I hadn't realized how quickly DDP got over. DDP was a heel at Starrcade feuding with Eddie (although I think DDP was getting quite a few cheers already by then) and now a month and a half later he looks like the next big thing in the promotion. WCW deserves some credit for it because it was booking him as one of the only guys to stand up to the NWO that got him over. He seemed like an odd choice at the time to give that push to but I'd say that it worked out pretty over the long haul.

• 5 months later...

Ah, my first Monday night show. I was so excited (no competing Raw to miss!) even though I could touch the ceiling. Worst seats I ever had despite buying them the day they went on sale. <_ i taped this and probably watched it about a hundred times over the years.>

Jacksonville is always hype for WCW and this was no exception. This just felt so cool at the time, and it does hold up even after all these years.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Good segment that builds on the segment the previous week. Sting and Savage put DDP through the same test that Sting put Savage through some weeks earlier--antagonizing him with a bat, then giving it to him and daring him to hit them from behind. DDP won't follow through, but he didn't back down from either man. He's getting more over by the week.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-02-10-WCW-Nitro] DDP, Sting and Randy Savage
  • 4 months later...

They really have done wonders with this Page push over the last three months or so. This was another one of those segments that could've come off as some hokey edgelord bulljive but wound up being great. Page standing up for himself even if he ends up getting stomped only endeared himself more to the fans and pretty much anything involving Sting at this point will be red hot.