Pro Wrestling Only

Should have stayed in the NWA

vannaboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted that Ronnie Garvin's peak already had happened, but he certainly fell off pretty fast when we he went to the WWF. Jobbed at WM5, became a referee, and then had his biggest moment defeating Valentine at RR90- far cry from being the NWA Champion 3 years earlier.

Windham did make much progress in WWF, but was cut short due to family issues. However, with Quake getting a monster push in 90, Perfect getting a run as IC Champion, Rude being brought to the Title forefront, I wonder what was left for Widowmaker Windham in 1990. Possibly a feud with a mid-carder like Boss Man, Duggan or Von Erich.

Dusty is obvious, but he had no choice since he ran out of luck with NWA/WCW. Even though he didn't win titles, he did have a solid run in 90-early 91 feuding with top heels like Savage and Dibiase.

Granted that Ronnie Garvin's peak already had happened, but he certainly fell off pretty fast when we he went to the WWF. Jobbed at WM5, became a referee, and then had his biggest moment defeating Valentine at RR90- far cry from being the NWA Champion 3 years earlier.

Take a look at this thread to see just how far Garvin fell after this point.

Windham did make much progress in WWF, but was cut short due to family issues. However, with Quake getting a monster push in 90, Perfect getting a run as IC Champion, Rude being brought to the Title forefront, I wonder what was left for Widowmaker Windham in 1990. Possibly a feud with a mid-carder like Boss Man, Duggan or Von Erich.

Dusty is obvious, but he had no choice since he ran out of luck with NWA/WCW. Even though he didn't win titles, he did have a solid run in 90-early 91 feuding with top heels like Savage and Dibiase.

There's an alternate reality where Windham is in the Zeus role in 89.

There's an alternate reality where Windham is in the Zeus role in 89.

They were hinting at Windham challenging Hogan on the syndie shows before his run got cut short.

Dusty didn't strictly go from the NWA to the WWF, and he didn't really have a choice since he got fired from Crockett in '88 then went back to Florida and the AWA before joining the WWF. Plus, he drew some good money on C-show loops against Big Boss Man besides the runs he had with Savage and DiBiase, so he made out pretty good I think. If he'd been sacked as Crockett's booker but retained as a wrestler, it's possible he'd have suffered a fall from grace from whoever took over. It's also possible he'd have kept himself over despite the booking so who knows. At least we got Flair-Steamboat in '89 instead of another round of Flair-Dusty. Maybe Dusty could have just reformed his team with Dick Murdoch or something and feuded with the Varsity Club.

True that he went else where in between, but he wasn't going to make money there.

For Dusty the money mattered and his ego mattered.

He made the money in the WWF, but his ego probably wasn't satisfied headlining C-Shows with Bossman. He was still at least 3rd behind Hogan and UW, not to mention battling for a high spot on the card with Piper, Roberts, Bossman (face version), Duggan, etc.

Steamboat was already pushing near 40 at the time and completely misread what he thought would be cool. Steamboat the ninja karate master was cool. Steamboat as Gene Simmons fire breather is cool. Steamboat as a cartoon character with a bad outfit was not cool.

I thought the Dragon outfit and the fire breathing was a lot cooler than Steamboat the karate kid. That being said, the jump back to WWF in 91 was totally ill-advised.

Powers of Pain. Would never have gotten a world tag title run and would have ended up severely injured in those scaffold matches. Neither had that much success in WWF either but I think they made more money and worked against safer people overall.

Bushwhackers probably had their lives extended by the switch, but not their careers if that makes any sense. They made money in merch as well they never would have seen as the Sheepherders in the NWA.

Rick Rude made a great decision to jump as well as when to jump back.

Agree totally on Bossman.

I would argue Arn made the right call. Had a short title run that would have been longer and showed he could not be treated as an afterthought. Mind you I could see someone arguing he went right back to being that in NWA.

Did anyone actually benefit from jumping to the WWF?

I think Flair added to his legend massively by jumping. Not just what he did during the run, but I don't think we get Starrcade 93 the way it went down if he had never gone away.

Mike Rotunda is another person I think who benefited a good bit. Say what you want about IRS, he got 3 tag title runs, a series of memorable vignettes, an action figure, a co-main event vs. Hogan at Wrestlemania, the last match on a Survivor Series and decentish IC title feud vs. Razor Ramon, and he probably added about 5 years onto his career by being considered a guy with enough name value to bring back to WCW once the run was done.

Steamboat was already pushing near 40 at the time and completely misread what he thought would be cool. Steamboat the ninja karate master was cool. Steamboat as Gene Simmons fire breather is cool. Steamboat as a cartoon character with a bad outfit was not cool.

I thought the Dragon outfit and the fire breathing was a lot cooler than Steamboat the karate kid. That being said, the jump back to WWF in 91 was totally ill-advised.

Depends how old you were when you were watching it and if you watched it when it originally came out or later on tape.