Pro Wrestling Only

Best Workers Who Weren't Main Eventers

Dylan Waco

I was thinking about this earlier as a common criticism you see of certain guys is that their matches lacked a "big match feel" or something akin to that. That doesn't make or break a match to me, but I understand it to a degree. Still when I think of who would rate highly on a depth chart for me, virtually every one I can think of in the top couple of levels is a guy who was a consistent top of the card level guy, if not out right ace/night in and out main eventer in a major promotion. So in this thread I was interested to see who would be the top guys we could think of who wouldn't fit in that category necessarily. Keep in mind that main eventing here or there does not disqualify someone for this, the point is where did they spend the bulk of their careers, particularly their peaks as in ring talents. I"ll toss out some names here, hopefully with some thoughts later.

Fit Finlay

William Regal

2 Cold Scorpio

Tracy Smothers

Arn Anderson

Ricky Morton

Bobby Eaton

Brian Pillman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anderson & Morton are the two standouts on that list for me. A couple interesting names for consideration -- Liger and Eddy Guerrero. Liger was unquestionably the ace of his division and headlined some shows, but was never the focal point of the promotion. Guerrero obviously had his run on top, but there was a ton of greatness that preceded it and followed it where he wasn't on top of the card.

I would be interested to see you run down your list. For example, why doesn't Smothers or Morton get credit for being on top of Smoky Mountain or Morton being in the top program in 1986 NWA? The others I agree with wholeheartedly except Finlay who was in the main event for a long time in Europe.

My plan was to add detail when some other names were thrown into the hat.

I specifically noted major promotion which is why I included Smothers, but could see the argument either way.

Finlay's peak as a wrestler (in my view) is post Europe which is why I included him.

Morton is tricky because he was an attraction and star of note, but I'm not sure you could really call him a main eventer in the sense that we normally use that term

What's the criteria for not being a main eventer? Santana-Valentine main evented quite a few WWF cards in 84-85 and Valentine main evented off and on in MACW for years. Someone like Ray Rougeau even, wasn't he a main eventer in tags in Montreal before coming to the WWF? And Ricky Morton had matches with Flair and I was under the impression the Express main evented a lot of B shows in JCP 96 as well as tons of Smoky Mountain Wrestling.

Regal, Finlay and Smothers are great picks. I would say Arn is the best of the bunch, he main evented a bunch of War Games I guess, but if you count those you're only a few steps away from counting Battle Royals and the like and that pretty much eliminates just about everyone.

I'm not saying he should be on the list but what about Jake Roberts? Other than the Andre feud and the brief Sting feud where was he the main event in his career? Against Ron Garvin in GA?

Going to throw out some more names for consideration. Mostly just interested to know in what sort of esteem people here hold them:

Buzz Sawyer

Raymond Rougeau

Buddy Landell

Mr. Saito

Dan Kroffat / Phil Lafon

Doug Furnas

Haku

Not sure about Saito. I love him, think he's great, but I could be convinced either way on him being a "main event" type guy. Kroffat and Furnas are great picks.

I will say this for Ray Rougeau - if we had more Montreal I think he would be considered one of the forgotten great faces of the 80s

Buzz Sawyer I thought main evented a bunch against Tommy Rich and others in GA.

Haku never main evented anywhere except a few random matches against Hogan but putting him on the same list as Ricky Morton and Arn Anderson? I don't know, the guy had many highlights but also a lot of boring Prime Time matches filled with nerve holds.

What's the criteria for not being a main eventer?

This is part of what makes this thread interesting I think.

I posted a few names and immediately someone who's opinion I respect responded saying he wasn't sure if a few of them really qualified.

To me a main eventer is a guy who was on top or the near the top of a major promotion for a reasonably lengthy amount of time. I"d say at least a few years minimum. But then you have someone like a Greg Valentine who is a sort of middle ground player or a Ricky Morton who headlined in SMW and on the B circuit for Crockett...it's tough

Tito Santana of course.

My instant thought was Greg Valentine but I don't know his card placement for the bulk of his Mid Atlantic career.

I'd actually argue Valentine is far more of a main eventer (at least in my mind) than Finlay or Morton

Well, what is his Mid Atlantic run as a main eventer? I don't know.

Just looking at Greensboro, Greg main evented often between 1976 and 1981, first in tags with Flair, then against Wahoo, more tags with Flair, then against Flair. By late-82 he was second from the top more often than not, so still pushed hard. He main evented early-84 against Dick Slater, although I believe that was a bit of a down period for the territory.

I'm a little confused by the topic description. There are a lot of guys who've been mentioned before who weren't main eventers but had a big match feel to their matches. Liger and Fujiwara for example. Finlay in title matches in Europe (I'm not really sure that he was a main eventer in Europe, btw.) Are you looking for the best guys who were non-main eventers or the best workers who didn't have such a big match feel to their work but were great workers anyway?