Pro Wrestling Only

Crowd sourcing: Dusty Rhodes interview

evilclown

So, it looks like I'll be interviewing Dusty Rhodes.

You guys are probably as good as it gets when it comes to hardcore fans. Any ideas for moments and stories I should ask him about?

Also, what questions do you have about his career that he might be able/willing to answer? Things that have been bugging you?

I will have to mix these in with stuff about his current storyline, but I'd love to try to make some of this for "us" too.

Help appreciated.

I'm always wary of contributing to threads like this because I don't know what is to inside baseball and/or what would be fair game, but I would be interested in hearing Dusty talk about the differences in feel and significance between working in places like Toronto, the Kiel and MSG. I'd also like to hear whether or not he preferred working solo as a heel or teaming with Murdoch.

Yeah it's hard interviewing wrestlers because you don't know if they are going to have as good of a memory as the interviewer then you bring up something that doesn't mean anything to them and it sours the interview a little bit.

If Dusty plays ball, I would be interested in the creative process behind the Kevin Sullivan turn into the Prince of Darkness because no one had ever done anything like that in wrestling really before they did that.

Plus I'm interested in the Eddie Graham/Vincent J. McMahon relationship where Dusty would go in and out of Florida and WWF at times.

I would ask Dusty why did the promotion under his watch (JCP) give the fans so many false finishes? What was the long term booking rationale behind that?

Why did Lex Luger never get a run with the gold?

Estimating about 90% of the people involved in the company blame him for the downfall of JCP what is his honest assessment of that? Are there contributing factors we don't know?

Why did Dusty stay face in the late 80's? Did he not hear the boos? Why not join The Horsemen??

I would ask Dusty why did the promotion under his watch (JCP) give the fans so many false finishes? What was the long term booking rationale behind that?

Estimating about 90% of the people involved in the company blame him for the downfall of JCP what is his honest assessment of that? Are there contributing factors we don't know?

Why did Dusty stay face in the late 80's? Did he not hear the boos? Why not join The Horsemen??

1. That's not what a false finish is. A false finish is a near fall.

2. So you want Snowden to alienate Dusty and WWE?

These can be re-worded to have more appealing language but are still valid questions. Not every interview has to be a list of reasons why the subject is awesome. Snowden knows that as well as anyone.

These can be re-worded to have more appealing language but are still valid questions. Not every interview has to be a list of reasons why the subject is awesome. Snowden knows that as well as anyone.

I don't mean the negativity. I mean that there's a delicate line of what is and isn't too "inside" for a WWE PR interview.

I don't mean the negativity. I mean that there's a delicate line of what is and isn't too "inside" for a WWE PR interview.

Not only that, but these questions are "Southern rasslin' shit" that in their world is pretty much irrelevant.

Wrestlers are rarely asked tough questions in interviews, which is why most wrestling interviews suck. All wrestling interviews are PR interviews in some form or another.

Recently, I was prepping someone for red carpet interviews. Most performers don't want to be interviewed let alone asked tough questions, which is why most interviews in general are PR exercises where the interviewer tries to not upset the interviewee. The interviews that most of us would like to read are dream interviews for the most part.

I actually really enjoyed it, especially Dusty's subtle kayfabe turn at the end and you working with him a bit so he could make the pitch for the ppv.

Thanks for asking some stuff about Murdoch.

Still the most insane revelation to come out of this is that you are from South Carolina too and we possibly went to a bunch of the same shows at the Township