Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Cornette Experience

After Cornette signed up for the WWE Network. Brian Last posted a poll on Twitter, giving fans a choice of what content they wanted Cornette to review first. There were some decent choices in the poll, but Legend's House actually won the poll.  I was actually really surprised at first but I guess this just proves something I have suspected for a while now.  Cornette is playing to his Twitter fans more and more now. Cornette's newer fans don't want to hear about classic Pro Wrestling history at all, or hear his match reviews and constructive insight on how the modern product could be improved using lessons from the territory days.  These newer fans just want to hear yet another version of the "Dairy Queen video." We all know how Cornette will react to this stuff, there's no surprise there. 

Cornette finally gets the Network and they have all these amazing hidden gems and documentaries they can go through and the four best choices they can come up with is a gawdy reality tv show, one of the most revisionist documentaries the WWE has ever produced, a horrible 80s wrestling spin-off and since Cornette didn't make himself clear the first dozen or so times another NXT review.

Ruthless Aggression actually won the poll, but it was such a close call that Cornette decided to go with Legends House first and would review the Ruthless Aggression documentary at a later show. Surprisingly Cornette actually enjoyed the pilot episode of Legends House if only because he got to watch his contemporaries once again and if you give them a chance they'll make good television.

I voted for the RA doco with the hope that he'll expand on this period from an OVW perspective. I thought his recent review of the FCW documentary was even better than the documentary itself and painted a better picture of what was going on.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious to hear what Cornette has to say about the Boneyard Match. I imagine he is probably going to hate it, but I am curious if he has anything positive to say about it. Actually, with the way things have been going lately, I can imagine him starting watching it and then turning it off once he realizes its not a normal match.

• 2 months later...

I know it's harsh, and I don't expect the thin-skinned social justice soyboys to respond glowingly to it - but Jim's line about Dana Brooke's face looking like it was remodeled from scratch after somebody set fire to it and tried to put it out with an axe was both accurate and laugh-out-loud hilarious.

On a more serious note, the last couple of Experience episodes have been pretty solid. I normally only listen to the Drive Thru, but I really dug his reviews of the first Clash and the NXT Bash/Fyter Fest shows.

Corny saying Aubrey Edwards is the best female performer on the AEW roster doesn't even sound like a stretch to me. Part of that may be the awful, mismanaged booking. But yeah. Their women's division feels DOA.

Most of all, I loved Jim's fantasy booking for a Big Bubba babyface turn we never got. He rattled off a series of matches, a tag team pairing with Dusty involving a run against the Midnights, and the whole nine yards. It's proof that - regardless of how out of touch people claim he is - Jim can still book basic, sensible, logical pro wrestling when he's engaged and a fan of the product or performers involved.

Furthermore, I think he makes an excellent point about modern wrestling always attempting to reap rewards and returns off characters and angles without ever putting in adequate equity first. I realize that's hardly an original thought or opinion, but it's so true and such a pitfall with almost everything about modern pro wrestling.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

So I guess comprehending blatantly obvious sarcasm is not your thing, then?

Picked it up just fine there, guy.

It's just that it was a poor attempt that smacked of drawing a false equivalency between terms.

They're not the same. At all.

On top of that, soyboy implies that not eating meat and calling someone out for being an asshole doesn't measure up to some warped definition of masculinity. It's total alt-right horseshit and I'm gonna call it for what it is every time I see it.

Kinda funny he posted that in a thread that hadn't been posted in in three months, as opposed to the Cancellation thread.

17 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Picked it up just fine there, guy.

It's just that it was a poor attempt that smacked of drawing a false equivalency between terms.

They're not the same. At all.

On top of that, soyboy implies that not eating meat and calling someone out for being an asshole doesn't measure up to some warped definition of masculinity. It's total alt-right horseshit and I'm gonna call it for what it is every time I see it.

Kinda funny he posted that in a thread that hadn't been posted in in three months, as opposed to the Cancellation thread.

Because "he" was discussing the podcast. Hence the post in a thread about said podcast, ya simple fuck.

You somehow strike me as the last person on God's green earth qualified to discuss the definition of masculinity - warped or otherwise. Please refrain from doing it again. You're only embarrassing yourself.

Feel free to find your way back to the Cancellation thread now, little bird.

That "he" was in reference to you, O.G. Readmore.

Funny that there's a discussion live and kickin'  in the Cancellation thread, usually referencing Cornette shooting off at the mouth, and yet you post that comment here, where there's next to no traffic. Why don't YOU find your way back there, seeing as how you post in there far more than I do?

You can take whatever definition of masculinity you have in your head and stick it up your ass.

Judging by the rest of your original post, we actually probably have a lot that we can agree on when it comes to wrestling. Hell, so do Cornette and I. But where I draw the line is any kind of Proud Boy, Gavin McInnes shit. It's insecure, ignorant as fuck and the only thing embarrassing going on in this thread.

Later.

10 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

Because "he" was discussing the podcast. Hence the post in a thread about said podcast, ya simple fuck.

You somehow strike me as the last person on God's green earth qualified to discuss the definition of masculinity - warped or otherwise. Please refrain from doing it again. You're only embarrassing yourself.

Feel free to find your way back to the Cancellation thread now, little bird.

In which the person gatekeeping masculinity thinks quoting George RR Martin makes him sound bad ass.

This went south pretty quick.

And yeah, whatever one thinks about Corny's opinion about someone's look (which is quite ironic in itself and I won't go any further), shit like "thin-skinned social justice soyboys" has no place here. Really, why would you even say something like this here ?

2 hours ago, El-P said:

This went south pretty quick.

And yeah, whatever one thinks about Corny's opinion about someone's look (which is quite ironic in itself and I won't go any further), shit like "thin-skinned social justice soyboys" has no place here. Really, why would you even say something like this here ?

Unfortunately no surprise from someone proactively looking to defend Cornette, above and beyond all others, against any recent accusations.  Spare no expense, but leave the memories alone!

21 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

And exactly why the fuck do you have a problem with that? 

I don’t. I’m in awe of how badass you are. You’re like a one man army, crusading for justice. You SHOULD be in charge here. It would just like that movie Walking Tall. (The Joe Don Baker version, not the one with The Rock.) Nobody would mess with you, and everybody would know how tough you are because you keep saying “Fuck.”

Yeah, okay. You don't have a problem with it. 

For what it's worth, I kept my language in check until I got a called a simple fuck and little bird. 

It isn't about being a tough guy. Truth be told, I'm not. I'm almost 40, wildly out of shape, 6 feet tall and about a buck fifty. Haven't been in a fight since I was a teenager. 

I come here to read and discuss wrestling. I don't wanna see any kind of alt-right crap. I don't wanna see it anywhere. I don't think it belongs anywhere. So, yes, I'm gonna call it out when I see it. 

So, since you clearly don't have a problem with that, why are you in here caping for that guy?