Pro Wrestling Only

Oliver John and Jeff Cobb

Loss

I am making this post mainly because Dave Meltzer recently raved about them after watching one of their matches and I suspect they'll start getting some buzz as a result. I don't know enough about them as workers to either praise them or write them off, but one thing that was getting a lot of positive play was Jeff Cobb's reverse powerslam, which can be seen in this short video:

http://instagram.com/p/h-JvjRGZZC/

Is something wrong with me because I think this move looks awful?

Anyway, Dylan told me a little about them, but has anyone else watched any of their stuff? What do you think?

How the dude doesn't throw his back out executing that move is amazing.

It might look better if he does it to a smaller guy and could really whip him the other way with more force.

But after watching the above video, I just kept thinking, "Um, a regular powerslam would have accomplished the same thing."

I'd take Ted's powerslam over that any day of the week. The problem for me is that it's designed 100% just to look cool rather than to hurt someone. The moment of transition when the momentum shifts in the opposite direction is not only stupid in trying to defy physics (the powerslam is carried by momentum this is fighting against it), it looks awkward as hell.

It's an impressive feat but as a move it is stupid, makes no sense and looks awkward.

YEAH!

I think Jeff Cobb was part of Guam's olympic wrestling team. Guy has some talent and really beautiful execution on some of his moves and especially really nice suplexes, he had a match vs. Timothy Thatcher that was really good I thought last year. Of course he could also turn into another Kurt Angle - when you mentioned a stupid powerslam move I thought you were talking about that backflip thing I've seen him do in another match. Personally I don't think that sort of move or the one you see in the video is as stupid as, say, most Go 2 Sleep variations or convoluted facebuster moves you see other indy wrestlers do, atleast it's athletically impressive enough.

Oliver John I think is a guy who also had a good match with Timothy Thatcher (hey Meltzer if you are reading this why aren't you raving about that guy cause he really rules). He's been working US "lucha" shows for a while and when he fought Hijo del Santo in TXT he didn't show anything that would make him stand out amongst a million other US workers. In the US I think he works a generic Border Patrol stooging heel. Just a baldheaded wrestler dude.

I liked the Powerslam. It's innovative & fun to me. I mean, in a worked business with Irish Whips, are we really going to talk about a move looking too fake or that it wouldn't hurt enough or whatever? As long as suspension of disbelief doesn't go out the window, I think we're OK. I guess it might for some but I don't think it's any worse than say, Bray Wyatt's Sister Abagail finish.

I am making this post mainly because Dave Meltzer recently raved about them after watching one of their matches and I suspect they'll start getting some buzz as a result. I don't know enough about them as workers to either praise them or write them off, but one thing that was getting a lot of positive play was Jeff Cobb's reverse powerslam, which can be seen in this short video:

http://instagram.com/p/h-JvjRGZZC/

Is something wrong with me because I think this move looks awful?

The word that comes to mind:

Masturbatory

John

Cool, innovative move. Looks impressive as hell, and would take about one or two matches of the announcer putting it over as something more dangerous than a standard bodyslam to get it over as such. No less suspension of disbelief destroying than about 1,000 other moves. Don't get the gripes.

I'm don't really know Cobb. I know Oliver John better and he seems more generic than anything else to me.

Oliver John was in the main event of a lucha show I saw in Passaic, NJ a few years ago. It was Hijo del Santo vs Blue Demon Jr. vs Oliver John. That wasn't the match I would have wanted to see Santito in but it was still incredible to see all of his trademark spots in person. The only thing that John contributed to the show that stuck with me is how when he was cutting his promo on illegal immigrants he chose to single out me, the only white guy in the crowd. It was pretty funny.