Pro Wrestling Only

R.I.P Mabel/Viscera/Big Daddy V

rvd356

Poor Nelson Frazier passed away from an apparent heart attack.

Seriously I actually loved this guy. Not so much jobber Viscera BUT I loved '93-'95 babyface rapper Mabel. He was a lot of fun anD damn if his spinkick wasn't great. "King Mabel" well he was just miscast in that role.

Fast forward 10 years to his repackaging as "Big Daddy V" and damn that was an awesome character. With the black tights/suspenders,crazy scary upper body and the full blacked out sleeve tattoos...I mean THAT was a unique wrestling character. I noticed watching the Rumble 2014 match that there isn't much variety in looks.

His best run of his career was definitely his WWECW monster heel run. I loved the hardcore matches with Tommy Dreamer and Colin Delaney where he just smashed through them. Also I believe him & Punk had a fun match on ECW and Taker/V had a good bout on Smackdown. Also going way back I liked the Taker/V casket match from In Your House 5 in 1995 and kinda liked the V/Taker feud compared to the abortion that was the Diesel feud. Also like Men on a Mission vs. The Quebecers from Wrestlemania X a lot. Oh and vs Jeff Jarrett @ Summerslam '94.

RIP Big Vis

Heart attack… not exactly a shocker. Sad to hear. I enjoyed Mabel a lot too back in the M.O.M. days. Just ridiculous highspots for such a big guy, and the colorful outfit was cool in an über90's way. If I had followed WWE at the time, I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed his Big Daddy V. stint quite a bit since I'm a sucker for big fat wrestlers that can go. Certainly a character from my teenage years that'll always remember.

It never dawned on me how young he was during his first WWF run.

Agreed... I had never really thought about it either until maybe 3 or 4 months ago... I was doing some research for something and came across some Observer comments Dave made about his age when Men on a Mission were first coming in. Crazy to think how young he was in that gimmick, for example, he was only 3 years older than Christian at his passing.

Do you think he'll get a graphic at the intro of Raw? I'd say the odds are good, unless they don't want a "downer" moment with the Network launch that day.

I think he will. The death (probably) wasn't drug related so I don't see why they would shy away from it. Dude was on the roster almost fifteen years with a few gaps here and there.

Guest The Jiz

Do you think he'll get a graphic at the intro of Raw? I'd say the odds are good, unless they don't want a "downer" moment with the Network launch that day.

Not only not drugs, but if you look at the guy, who would make bets that he'd live past 45? He was a walking heart attack. Humans aren't meant to carry that much weight. I read on the sleaze thread that the guy could snort a mean line of coke, which is cool.

I noticed Meltzer didn't give any info on his Wednesday update... I'd hate to accuse him - and I'll pay attention tomorrow - but something tells me a Davey Richards mark like him has a sense of relief deep down.

Viscera was a cool heel. Just some massive fat bastard but kind of an infinite loser, who got you encouraged just by his sheer size. Just a freak show for a character, which is what makes wrestling cool.

Not only not drugs, but if you look at the guy, who would make bets that he'd live past 45? He was a walking heart attack. Humans aren't meant to carry that much weight. I read on the sleaze thread that the guy could snort a mean line of coke, which is cool.

I noticed Meltzer didn't give any info on his Wednesday update... I'd hate to accuse him - and I'll pay attention tomorrow - but something tells me a Davey Richards mark like him has a sense of relief deep down.

What on earth are you talking about.

Guest The Jiz

What on earth are you talking about.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/118-daily-updates/35512-wed-update-extreme-rules-ticket-info-usa-today-on-bryan-tribute-show-saturday-ufc-in-cincy-gsp-talks-drug-testing-ross-podcast-does-huge-debut-nxt-arrival-notes-ufc-a-wwe-network-notes-world-title-vs-world-title-9-years-ago-today-wwe-new-evp

No mention. I might be reading too much into this (and partly joking), but Dave tends to talk about wrestlers passing away for several days after the initial announcement, e.g. comments, news press, funeral arrangements, etc. Viscera gets no love.

I've actually always been a big Viscera mark and in a non-ironic way. Always floated around my all-time top ten favorites. One of my favorite goofy memories I'll retain is actually an out of the ring one. During the late-Attitude era there was some sort of parking lot match on PPV between I believe possibly Steve Blackman and somebody. There were a bunch of other misc. wrestlers standing around them in a circle and Viscera kept reaching into this open car window and hitting this car horn that was the most ungodly, ear-piercingly loud horn I'd ever heard. And he just kept.. on.. hitting it. It got to be such a distraction that my friends and I who were watching live couldn't even pay attention to the match we were laughing so hard. The rest of the night (and on occasion even months and years after) I'd mimic him drilling that car horn randomly. I digress. RIP.

I've actually always been a big Viscera mark and in a non-ironic way. Always floated around my all-time top ten favorites. One of my favorite goofy memories I'll retain is actually an out of the ring one. During the late-Attitude era there was some sort of parking lot match on PPV between I believe possibly Steve Blackman and somebody. There were a bunch of other misc. wrestlers standing around them in a circle and Viscera kept reaching into this open car window and hitting this car horn that was the most ungodly, ear-piercingly loud horn I'd ever heard. And he just kept.. on.. hitting it. It got to be such a distraction that my friends and I who were watching live couldn't even pay attention to the match we were laughing so hard. The rest of the night (and on occasion even months and years after) I'd mimic him drilling that car horn randomly. I digress. RIP.

I believe the match you are referring to is the Ken Shamrock/Steve Blackman match from Fully Loaded '99.

How do you maintain that kind of weight in a physical profession like professional wrestling? The guy must have been eating 24/7!

It is a shame, but I can't say I was surprised when I read about it. RIP Vis.

well, there's the riding in cars, riding on planes, walking through airports.. i'd guess travelling while sitting on your behind isn't exactly going to burn pounds. Also, the food is free backstage and the eating schedule can be a bit unconventional. Probably quite a few avenues to being a pro wrestler and being overweight

Mabel was fucking horrible, and managed to be a low point even on those atrocious WWF PPVs in 1995. Viscera I always loved though, he seemed to have an aura and as a kid in 1999/2000 I thought he was cool as fuck, especially as part of The Ministry. Didn't see much of his ECW run but the bits I saw were very fun as well, real shame.

His black leather jacket was fantastic as well.