Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers who defined their roles

dawho5

I was thinking about how the New Japan announcers during Flair's run during the '95 G1 called him "Mr. America" a lot, and how promotions would try and put those kinds of labels on people, either directly or through booking (the blowjob wrestler thread contributed a little to this also). That got me to thinking about who really deserved those kinds of labels in the eyes of the fans.

For instance, if I look at American wrestling, Rey Mysterio is THE cruiserweight of the '90s and 2000s. No other small wrestler has had the longevity or success Rey has. And he's a pretty damn amazing worker, even if a lot of his talent goes unused in his American matches.

Also, I have to think Stan Hansen, Vader and Terry Funk would be your iconic gaijin. Dr. Death may make his way onto that list for me as I progress through my AJPW. Gordy and (please don't kill me) Bruiser Brody were two guys who may have gotten that status if they hadn't run into the troubles they did.

Ric Flair is pretty obvious as the touring NWA champ.

There are a few more that stand out to me, but I'm curious as to what wrestlers other people who have watched far more wrestling than I have would list for something like this.

Immediately I thought of WWE's incessant labelling of Shawn Michaels as "Mr Wrestlemania". Surely, the only contender viable for this title is The Undertaker?

Well, I would say Bret was in the best two matches in WrestleMania history. Also, Savage has had some great matches at Mania. Them, The Undertaker and Hogan are probably the top contenders.

Immediately I thought of WWE's incessant labelling of Shawn Michaels as "Mr Wrestlemania". Surely, the only contender viable for this title is The Undertaker?

Pre WM 25, was Taker in any matches on Mania that could be called classics? Oh, maybe the Batista match (23?), but I haven't seen it in awhile.

Pre WM 25, was Taker in any matches on Mania that could be called classics? Oh, maybe the Batista match (23?), but I haven't seen it in awhile.

What's amazing is that Taker stepped up his game in these physical matches at this later stage of his career, when before he was never really part of anything that underlined his athletic ability. Hell, if you think about it the only legendary match he was part of at all in the 90's was the one where Mick flew off the cage.