Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #60 - Clash 14: Dixie Dynamite

soup23

Chad and Parv are back to review Clash of the Champions 14: Dixie Dynamite

- [00:04:18] Wrestling Observer roundup: Dusty’s back as a booker; The Juicer is gone; Joe Pedicino is making power moves; thoughts on Sting’s reign; and the strange and memorable February 4th 1991 newsletter.

- [00:49:53] Clash of the Champions 14 review: Michael Wallstreet out, Terry Taylor in; the return of Ranger Ross!; The Renegade Warriors; Arn Anderson’s face; Ric Flair’s hair; gender politics with Paul E. Dangerously and Missy Hyatt; and question for the listeners: favourite or underrated during-the-match heel or face turns. -

- [02:09:16] End of show awards

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-60-dixie-dynamite/

Chad and Parv are back to review Clash of the Champions 14: Dixie Dynamite

- [00:04:18] Wrestling Observer roundup: Dusty’s back as a booker; The Juicer is gone; Joe Pedicino is making power moves; thoughts on Sting’s reign; and the strange and memorable February 4th 1991 newsletter.

- [00:49:53] Clash of the Champions 14 review: Michael Wallstreet out, Terry Taylor in; the return of Ranger Ross!; The Renegade Warriors; Arn Anderson’s face; Ric Flair’s hair; gender politics with Paul E. Dangerously and Missy Hyatt; and question for the listeners: favourite or underrated during-the-match heel or face turns. -

- [02:09:16] End of show awards

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-60-dixie-dynamite/

welcome back fellas. I missed this podcast

As to Chad's comment about something not coming together, that would be Ric Flair. I can't think of a worse example of Flair trying to make an opponent look bad and make a match suffer for the purpose of burying an up and comer. Flair does everything in his power to limit Scott's offense and make certain he does none of the things that make him Scott Steiner. Steiner's hatred of Flair is pretty well deserved given what Flair did to him here.

Best heel turn in match is probably Barry Windham at Clash 1 or Bret at Mania 13.

I don't think Flair was intentionally out to bury Steiner. That's not really his style. I think he was just in another world and that ended up being the end result. We know about a lot of the issues he was going through during this time and he clearly was having a terrible night.

I think he was. Can you think of another Flair match where he hogs all the offense and retreats to the floor every time his opponent is about to get something going? Or doesn't take so many of his opponent's signature offense? Honestly I can't. Including matches from this time period where he was going through this stuff (including dealing with Jim Herd, whose side I tend to agree with somewhat actually)

Firstly, I have been missing the show ... glad to see you guys back up and running!

Second, you're getting ever closer to when I became a fan. My first Clash was bits and pieces of Knocksville, USA with the Flair/Eaton main event. The first one I watched in full was the Fall Brawl, so I cannot wait to hear what you guys think of those two. And, Clash 17 (the one with Steamboat's return and Sting/Rude) is my all-time favorite CotC, so that'll be a blast!

Third, to answer the question re: heel/face in-match turns, Nothing tops Austin/Hart from Mania 13, but I really liked how the Windham heel turn in late 92 came about.

Everything from the tag title win over Williams/Gordy when during the post-match interview, Windham is holding all four belts. He says "I knew if I could hit the superplex...blah, blah" even though Rhodes' bulldog actually put Gordy down for the count, to the simmering build-up to Windham just DESTROYING Dustin after Rhodes refusing to pin an injured Steamboat, is just golden. I loved how it tied nicely into Steamboat and Rhodes being champs a year prior due to Windham's wrist injury. And the debut of the Impant DDT for Windham was a nice touch, as it gave him a more violent, heel-style finish for this run.

Lastly, I have to say that Pillman would've been a fine choice, but you're right, he was always booked as a small guy. His look and moveset did not help. Nor did the nickname of "Flyin' Brian" nor Jim Ross' constant yammering on about Pillman's courage award for the Bengals and his "smallest dog/biggest heart" nonsense. It just made Pillman seem even smaller in stature than he really was, which in turn, made him that much smaller in fans' eyes too. No way you can take a guy like that a make him a credible title holder.

I've just listened to the 1st part. I really enjoyed the Pillman talk. If he would have debuted nationally in say 92 or 93 he might have gotten a stronger push. Plus seeing his later years we know he could work heel too.

Guys if you look at the Mid-South you see a lot of Ronnie West.

Also the booking choices was interesting. Another thing about Paul E. In 1988 he was Gilbert's assistant booker in Continental. Still not enough experience to give the reigns of WCW to creatively.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were hopeful for a show this weekend but the logistics of mine/Parv's situation is awful as I am traveling for work Monday-Friday and trying to record a show using hotel wifi is dicey at best. Throw in the usual restrictions we have of recording on the weekend and the time difference and you get our current situation.