Pro Wrestling Only

Fred Phelps

I thought this deserved a topic. Say what you want about the guy, but he knew how to get over. Talk about nuclear heel heat. He even managed to turn the Klan babyface:

Dennis LaBonte, who told CNN he was a military veteran and the “imperial wizard” of a KKK chapter, said the approximately 10 members of the group came in “support of the troops.” LaBonte, who said he’s not a “hate-monger,” said he “thinks that it’s an absolute shame that [the WBC] show up and disrupt people’s funerals.”

Unfortunately, he won't be having a funeral of his own for people to picket. Pretty unprofessional of him to refuse to do the job on the way out.

If the media hadn't been such marks, Phelps would've stayed a curtain-jerker in the Kansas territory.

Yup. That was the problem. We all claimed not to like his gimmick. But we the people kept buying tickets (in the form of tv ads). Who's to blame for his popularity, such as it was?

I was stunned to learn Phelps actually fought for african american rights in the 1960s.

My political science professor told us the most effective way to get attention to your cause was to blow up a building. Phelps found a method that didn't involve murder. So kudos for that.

What was great about Fred heeling it up until the end was that the Babyfaces got one last chance to prove the they really were the faces in the feud all along:

article-2587471-1C84F11A00000578-270_634

Sometimes you just need a Super Heel like Fred to help people get who the Faces are.

John