Pro Wrestling Only

Worst news in the WON

Loss

I think people were upset with Todd Grisham for some mistakes made on the Chris Benoit DVD in 2004. He was calling the Benoit vs Sasuke match from the Super J Cup. I don't remember exactly what he said, but that might have contributed to him winning the worst announcer category.

IIRC that was Cole andTazz calling that match on the DVD.

I think there were multiple commentary tracks. For at least one of the matches, Grisham was on commentary along with Benoit or Dean Malenko , or possibly both.

I'm not really surprised by this. Renee sticks out like a sore thumb on wrestling because she's so much better at her job than everyone else seems to be. She's really professional & never comes off, to me, as a really bad actor trying to remember lines/questions or express emotion.

What may keep her around is that ESPN is notorious for paying their female talent the bare minimum. I'd have to imagine she probably makes as much under her contract WWE contract as she would an entry ESPN contract. Add in Renee loving wrestling, dating Ambrose, and the rep of ESPN for allowing their female employees to be sexually harassed and assaulted and that may be a recipe for her staying with WWE.

WWE needs to throw a load of money at Renee Young to make her stay. It is so rare they have a non-wrestling personality who is both likable and good at their job.

Agreed, it would be a big loss. She's great and has been such a positive addition to their product with her backstage interviews and "hosting". Best backstage personality they've had in forever. Plus, she loves wrestling! She's a legitimate student and fan of the sport. I imagine this is a dream job for her, so I hope the lure of ESPN and greater exposure doesn't tempt her. WWE can certainly match ESPN salary wise.

ESPN had a long rep of both being low paying and underpaying. On the other hand...

Harold Reynolds signed a six year deal back in 2006 that paid him:

* an escalating $750K / $775K / $800K / $825K / $850K / $875K per year base
* the base covered:
- - 85 Studio Days
- - 15 "Games" other than LL World Series
- - MLB Post Season Coverage
- - the entire LL World Series
* an escalating $6.8K-$7.9K per day if he worked above those 100 Days/Games
* plane + ground trans + hotel expenses
* per diem on travel days
* negotiated fee for any additional Event (say ESPN got the MLB Draft like the NFL)

Harold was pretty high on the ESPN Food Chain for Ex Jock Talking Head Analysts. He'd been around for a long time at that point, and was something of the "lead" analyst... but Kruky had just come over from Fox and was king of the hot thing. But of course there were a lot of other talking heads who had been around even longer than Harold on things long the NFL, NBA, etc.

There are plenty of guys who are underpaid for that they do.

Dan Patrick was wildly underpaid for the SportsCenter + Radio Show + Other Hosting duties that he had. But he also wasn't being paid only $100K for that... he was getting pretty damn good money. It's just that when he decided to look around, the offer to do radio elsewhere was so much that he was rather surprised by just how underpaid he was at ESPN.

Anyway... Coach and Grish likely started out low, and they had to make their bones at ESPN News where it's pretty much sink or swim to determine who might have potential to move up to better slots. If you suck there, you're gone. If you're solid, you stick around. If you're good, you got a shot to move up. It's likely that Coach is now with the radio show making more than he did with the WWE, since the WWE isn't a "pay them what they're worth" employer anyway. Grish... hard to tell. But he's doing pretty well there, so he's likely getting paid decent enough.

Long term... they have opportunities to move up and earn more, or listen to offers from places like NBC & NBCSN, CBS, Fox & FSN, Big 10 Network, Pac 10 Network, NFL Network, NBA TV, MLB TV and on and on. Someone like Rich Eisen was "underpaid" at ESPN, though likely made a pretty good living once he and Stuart got over. But look what he did: cashed it in to be the Face of the NFL Network. He's making bank now.

Blondes are usually a dime a dozen to me but I do adore Renee. Such a wonderful on screen personality and attractive to boot. Always enjoy when she pops in for commentary on NXT. She plays off so well with whoever is on commentary. Just a natural. Renee seems to be way underutilized on TV.

What may keep her around is that ESPN is notorious for paying their female talent the bare minimum. I'd have to imagine she probably makes as much under her contract WWE contract as she would an entry ESPN contract. Add in Renee loving wrestling, dating Ambrose, and the rep of ESPN for allowing their female employees to be sexually harassed and assaulted and that may be a recipe for her staying with WWE.

Terrifying that "corporate reputation towards female employees" would be an argument in favor of WWE. Not wrong, just frightening.

Blondes are usually a dime a dozen to me but I do adore Renee. Such a wonderful on screen personality and attractive to boot. Always enjoy when she pops in for commentary on NXT. She plays off so well with whoever is on commentary. Just a natural. Renee seems to be way underutilized on TV.

Absolutely. I'm more of a redhead guy but you hit it all. She's great.

Todd Grisham ... Apparently, he mentioned on ESPN that he got voted worst pro wrestling announcer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Was that a fair assessment, in everyone's opinion? I don't remember him being anything special. But the "worst"? I don't know about that. ESPN wouldn't hire crap, would they? Considering how bad WWE announcing is, I wonder if Grisham was held back by the "talk about everything except the match" style, being yelled at from the headset, etc.

It's...it's Christian.

I remember after Total Divas Aftershow #1 how the report was that WWE thought she did an amazing job. Steph also just talked her up in one of those ways that is remarkably easy to read into on the most recent JBL/Cole show (Granted, she also talked up Clem Layfield, but it just felt like one of those red flag moments).

I could see them try to keep her.