Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-10-ECW-House Party] Justin Credible vs Great Sasuke

Loss

• 1 month later...

Credible comes out with Jason and Nicole Bass and of course she gets an interesting reaction from the ECW faithful. Jason grabs the mic and announces Nicole as the sexiest woman on earth as they parade down a "you suck dick" chant. Bass and Jason make out to Joey's disdain.

Sasuke completely dominates the first 70% of the match. He hits a nice flying tope to the outside but even Sasuke can't escape the trope of taking the grand tour of the ECW arena. Sasuke drags the match down a level back inside the ring with submissions. We then get a little flurry by Credible that Sasuke counteracts with a Space Flying Tiger Drop to the outisde. Jason trips up Sasuke and he wipes out on a dive to the outside. Credible goes after the leg with some good intensity. He does the ring post figure four and hits the knee with a chair. Justin Asshole chant breaks out. Credible wraps the chair over Sasuke's leg and hits it with another chair. Sasuke makes a little comeback but goes up top and misses again. Credible hits the That's Incredible to win the match clean as a sheet in impressive fashion.

After the match, Jason and Credible continue to attack and unmask Sasuke until Hamada makes the save. Credible gives him a Thats Incredible for his trouble. They really play up that he has now laid out the two top stars in M-Pro.

I understand the desire for Sasuke to show off his stuff but his portion on top of this match was too long and prevented the match as a whole to reach the next level, still Justin was very focused on the leg and was given a big push coming out of this. (***)

Nicole Bass gets the Andre, Undertaker, Big Show treatment from Joey Styles on how you have to buy a ticket to see them in person. Jason and Nicole share a big kiss. She seemed to like doing that. Sasuke gets his big dives in early with him having to sell the leg later on. Credible does the right thing by working the leg and keep Sasuke grounded for much of the rest of match. Sasuke still tries for aerial moves but damage has done. Credible wins clean but little reaction from crowd when match was over. ECW is determined to push Credible.

Styles does a good job summing up the story between Sasuke and Credible leading into the match ,

Credible is accompanied by Bass and Jason , Styles "I don't think they have women that big in Japan , i don't think they have men as big as Nicole"

I enjoyed the burly man in the crowd standing up to take photos of Nicole striking poses , styles disgust when Jason and Nicole kiss is fantastic.

Rapid start by sasuke , starts the match on fire with a dropkick followed by an over the top rope somersault that really pops the crowd , the brawling continues outside the ring , sasuke is dragging credible “Around the ECW Arena” . Some awkward looking back stomps by sasuke as credible is now being led back to the ring . sasuke moves an arm bar into a seated position when credible rolls over , I liked how this looked .

Sasuke continues to work on top here moving into several submission holds before a second scoop slam of the match. Sasuke returns to the arm bar sasuke releases the arm bar and moves into an abdominal stretch – sasuke again releases it and goes into a side headlock which credible reverses and runs the ropes ending in a spinning heel kick by sasuke. Knocking credible outside again.

sasuke backs up to hit the ropes , Jason botches an interference spot , so sasuke backs up and hits the rope again – this looked bad , sasuke then hits a fantastically acrobatic looking manoeuvre to the outside on credible anyway . sasuke recovers and rolls into the ring sasuke again goes to hit the ropes to attack credible on the outside and again is tripped by Jason – this time missing the subsequent attempt on attacking credible . At this point sasuke knee is injured and credible attacks it for the rest of the match , including a figure four on the post , chair shots and a Boston crab

Sasuke recovers slightly and begins to make a comeback but goes up for a moonsault and misses . after the missed moonsault - credible delievers a brutal looking spinning tombstone to end the match .

Jason and Credible beat down sasuke after the match , Hamada runs in for the save and gets a spinning tombstone for his efforts . Hamada laying forearms into Jason’s face was highly fulfilling to me . Crowd doesn’t seem to care .

Overall i enjoyed the opening sequence by Sasuke and the mat work that takes place in the first half of the match - the botched interference spot really killed this for me. Credibles focus on the legs after allowing sasuke to show-off is commendable as is sasukes selling of the knee (***) stars from me also , without the interference spot and slightly more credible offense in the beginning i think it could have been up around the 3 1/2 star mark

Here I was prepared to write this off and it's actually a pretty good match. The result (Credible winning) was what it was, which is more what people remember, but I loved Sasuke's selling. A nice, basic layout and some good Sasuke offense creates a solid match. Body part focus is like face in peril - it will almost always produce something worth watching.

• 1 year later...

I was sort of dreading this when I realized it wasn't one of them "finish only" bouts, and the pre-match is pretty whatever. All of Credible's heat comes from Jason and Nicole Bass making out with each other--and people accuse Raven of leeching off other people?? But as it turns out, the match isn't bad--in fact it's damn good. Credible takes some great bumps before going to work on Sasuke's bad knee, and Sasuke sells like a champ and gets in a few near-miracle comeback attempts before missing a Stardust Press and getting dropped with That's Incredible for his second defeat. Credible and Jason go after the knee further and then go after Sasuke's match. Gran Hamada saves the mask but eats a That's Incredible of his own.

You can't fault Heyman for giving it the old college try with Credible, who's a talented worker but has maybe the least amount of star power of any pushed wrestler in a major company in history. He tries, but basically every single thing he does is done by somebody else better. His and Jason's working of the crowd brings to mind DX and the stuff with the chair and the leg is just too reminiscent of Austin, intentional or not. And the ring attire and overall look is just bush-league. He looks like a backyard wrestler even if he has infinitely more talent, not a future company champion.

• 1 month later...

Before the knee work I wasn't into this at all. Jason grabs Sasuke's foot too early, but he still gets in the Space Flying Tiger Drop. The finishing stretch was entertaining and it got me to thinking, was Great Sasuke even nominated in GWE? Looking he came in at #116, but I remember none of that. Anyway, the match turned out decent, but probably nothing I'd need to revisit for any reason.

RATING: Justin Incredibly mediocre wrestling.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey look, it's an ECW match which uses some psychology. Right away Sasuke is blasting Credible with dives. Later Sasuke is working an armbar and immediately „Boring“ chants are breaking out. Sasuke goes for the dives again but Jason trips him and he ends up missing a plancha to the floor, bumping his knee in absolutely horrific fashion. Credible proceeds to beat the fuck out of his knee with chairs and splashing the leg. They even work a classic Figure 4 tease. Sasuke gets a brief, awesome one legged comeback before missing a huge Phoenix Splash and eating Credibles brutal looking finisher (better than Okada). Sasuke looked great and Credible (aside from not knowing how to defend against an armbar) didn't look half bad either.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-01-10-ECW-House Party] Justin Credible vs Great Sasuke