Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-03-06-ECW-Waltham, MA] Tracy Smothers & Little Guido vs Chris Candido & Lance Storm

Loss

• 1 month later...

Candido and Storm are playing up their differences. Candido comes back and does a separate entrance to Back in Black. I have heard Dylan talk up the FBI run in ECW and the snippets I have seen were fun. This match was fabulous however and especially Smothers gave a great performance and utilizing his schtick to make the match memorable. Storm is a guy I don't exactly like but he hit everything cleanly here and played his role well. Candido and Storm essentially play the arguing partners that tolerate each other for the betterment of the tag titles. This was an all action match for 14 minutes and one of the better traditional tags I can remember happening in ECW. (****)

• 3 weeks later...

The FBI were just awesome in this. Even Tommy Rich at ringside only had one spot to pull off, but he did it well. Smothers was in for most of this match and was the guy that held this together. He brought the schtick but also brought the action. They went for the traditional tag formula at times but that really wasn't where this match shined, mainly because Candido and Smothers were doing the dissension gimmick and were hardly strong babyfaces anyway. Really good and I'm glad I saw this.

I enjoyed this way more than anything I've seen from ECW's actual broadcasts in '98. This really did feel more like a heel vs. heel match than a standard Southern tag, though they did some excellent Southern tag spots. Smothers was on fire. I loved his little chop exchange with Candido where we got to see a bit of kung-fu Tracy. So little wasted space in this compared to most of ECW, which I usually find bloated, even when the underlying idea was good.

• 1 year later...

There were other FBI matches in '97 that I liked better than this, but this was a lot of fun. Candido and Storm had a fun shtick that was actually fresh at the time, and they don't overdo it. They confine most of the petty bickering to before the match and a few key spots during, but still gel as a team. Dissension is teased afterward between Smothers and Rich.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

ECW World Tag Champs Chris Candido & Lance Storm - ECW Waltham, MA 3/6/98

For those keeping track at home Candido & Storm hate each other but are tag champs. Storm was turfed from Triple Threat in favor of Bam Bam (upgrade to me). If they purposefully lose the tag titles they are both fired. FBI are already awesome.

Even though Candido is technically a heel his chemistry with Smothers it never drags the match down. I like the fake into a heat segment ok Storm with a blind knee and jumping karate kick by Smothers. The real one is Rich pulling down top rope and critching Storm on railing. Heat segment is too short. Candido house a fire ending with a Powerbomb and Lance Storm leap was great. Finish was a little long in tooth but got the we hate each other but protect each other damnit over. SUPERKICK into a German was a good finish. Take most of the end and stick on heat and this is a great match. FBI are such great heat-seeking heels. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1998-03-06-ECW-Waltham, MA] Tracy Smothers & Little Guido vs Chris Candido & Lance Storm