Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-22-CMLL] Atlantis & Emilio Charles Jr & Felino vs Black Warrior & Blue Panther & Dr Wagner Jr

Loss

• 2 months later...

I love a good brawl, but I didn’t think the brawling here was structured enough. I didn’t like the lack of rule enforcing where everyone was always in the ring at the same time. Even in wild matches, you should be able to tell who is supposed to be the legal man, whether they are able to keep the match under control or not. It got better in the second fall but this still didn’t grab me for whatever reason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, I'm worlds apart from Loss on this one. I don't know if it's as GOOD as some as a few of the other January matches but this one grabbed me the most out of them all so far. This was AWESOME. A good rudo mugging is one of my favorite things in wrestling and this was a damn good one. Lots of viciousness, Black Warrior and Blue Panther joining together to ram Atlantis into the turnbuckle was awesome, as was Warrior laying waste to Felino with some knee strikes on the apron. Rudos get DQed for beating on Charles who does a great looking early blade job. The technico come back is very climactic and worked well, with Atlantis and Felino really taking it to the other two on the outside while Charles draws blood against Wagner as revenge inside. Then the technicos get DQed for mask ripping. Atlantis is great here, shoving down the ref in response to the DQed and throwing some great looking punches. They bust out the highspots for the third fall but don't lose the hate or energy. Felino's top rope razors edge is a holy shit spot and I loved Atlantis whipping Charles into a big tope. Ending ruled too. Talk about a hidden gem, this totally ruled. I thought the structure was fine and that it was perfectly done for a wild brawl.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda in the middle between Loss and tim but I"m leaning more to Loss's thinking. It was a decent brawl but just was too much of a mess. Good bladejob by Emilio and his brawling with Wagner who I guess he was feuding with was nice. Not sure how the first fall ended but the finish to the second fall should have been the end of the match. Warrior didn't even get to do his patent bullet tope. I'm gonna give this a second viewing later cause I might like it then.

• 4 weeks later...

I still really dig this match on rewatch. It felt a little short this time but packs a lot of punch. I like the unconventional end to the first two falls with the first fall ending on rudo brutality and the second fall having the tecnicos ripping masks. Everyone had highlights here but it was nice to see Atlantis show more fire than he usually does. One of the more entertaining matches of 1999 so far. ***3/4

• 2 years later...

Also in-between here, though in the end I found more to like than to dislike. The first fall and a half really just isn't very interesting--Charles looks scary with the blood on his face, but it's just kind of "there" until the technicos start their big comeback halfway through the second fall. Aimless as the opening was, it certainly did build well to a pretty crazy third fall with big bombs being the order of the day more than crazy dives, the biggest being Felino's crazy crucifix super bomb. Not sure this reaches the heights to be a serious MOTYC but it was a fun trios match with everyone looking good in the end.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-22-CMLL] Atlantis & Emilio Charles Jr & Felino vs Black Warrior & Blue Panther & Dr Wagner Jr
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This was all really entertaining stuff and the matchups they focused on all really worked. Black Warrior was not a factor for me, but he paired well with Emilio for quicker-paced offense, which stood nicely in contrast to the Atlantis/Panther maestro segments and the Felino/Wagner shticky stuff. I don't feel so in the dark on lucha when I watch this match, as it seems to really get to the core of what makes the style fun with the colorful characters and meaningful interactions. Not much more I can say, but one of my favorite trios I have ever seen.

GREAT