Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1961-04-14-NWA Chicago] Buddy Rogers vs Haystacks Calhoun

We watched this for a Titans podcast and it was interesting . Calhoun threw some very bad punches. Though he made up for it at the finish. We were deadlocked at 2-2 if that was the planned finish or not. Some fun moments like Rogers trying to escape a Calhoun headlock. Ultimately though it's fun to see Rogers work with a unique opponent.

The match was a little slow at the beginning, but it picked up when Calhoun started sitting and stomping on Rogers. Rogers looked good when selling, with his begging off and messed up hair. The broken rope was a cool way to finish it.

The announcement of the hockey score in the middle of the match was funny.

I can't believe I've never seen that finish before. Someone needs to steal it.

Calhoun threw some awful punches but I enjoyed everything else. I always like when a guy goes to the ropes to break a headlock only for the guy applying it to hold on as they run the ropes. This was a fun iteration of that with Rogers going extra limp as Calhoun ran with the headlock.

Calhoun threw some awful punches but I enjoyed everything else. I always like when a guy goes to the ropes to break a headlock only for the guy applying it to hold on as they run the ropes. This was a fun iteration of that with Rogers going extra limp as Calhoun ran with the headlock.

I agree: that headlock attempted escape, which Rogers tried a couple of times, really helped to make something of that very slow opening. Calhoun is surprisingly mobile for a guy his size. I'm in the middle of losing a lot of weight, but my largest size of 464 pounds made me virtually immobile.I doubt Calhoun was actually 600 pounds, or I would think he couldn't walk. So it's impressive that he moves as well as he does.

Which doesn't mean he's any good. Rogers works really hard to make something of this match. And because of it, we get something entertaining.

I agree with everyone about the rope break ending being pretty awesome. That was a wicked bump Calhoun took to the floor.

This was lots of fun. I'm surprised Flair hasn't taken more lumps as a Rogers rip-off, the way Hogan has as a Graham rip-off. Watching Rogers overdone selling and reactions, especially when he'd go airborne with the headlock, made this look like a template for Flair's famous days as touring NWA Champion. Rogers is saddled with a pretty useless opponent, but finds ways to keep things entertaining throughout.

I'm going to say that was the planned finish, and what a finish it was! Buddy really made the headlock portion a breeze to watch for me, with his limp body getting dragged.