Pro Wrestling Only

[1961-04-14-NWA Chicago] Buddy Rogers vs Haystacks Calhoun

Loss

We watched this for a Titans podcast and it was interesting . Calhoun threw some very bad punches. Though he made up for it at the finish. We were deadlocked at 2-2 if that was the planned finish or not. Some fun moments like Rogers trying to escape a Calhoun headlock. Ultimately though it's fun to see Rogers work with a unique opponent.

• 4 weeks later...

Calhoun threw some awful punches but I enjoyed everything else. I always like when a guy goes to the ropes to break a headlock only for the guy applying it to hold on as they run the ropes. This was a fun iteration of that with Rogers going extra limp as Calhoun ran with the headlock.

I agree: that headlock attempted escape, which Rogers tried a couple of times, really helped to make something of that very slow opening. Calhoun is surprisingly mobile for a guy his size. I'm in the middle of losing a lot of weight, but my largest size of 464 pounds made me virtually immobile.I doubt Calhoun was actually 600 pounds, or I would think he couldn't walk. So it's impressive that he moves as well as he does.

Which doesn't mean he's any good. Rogers works really hard to make something of this match. And because of it, we get something entertaining.

I agree with everyone about the rope break ending being pretty awesome. That was a wicked bump Calhoun took to the floor.

• 1 month later...

This was lots of fun. I'm surprised Flair hasn't taken more lumps as a Rogers rip-off, the way Hogan has as a Graham rip-off. Watching Rogers overdone selling and reactions, especially when he'd go airborne with the headlock, made this look like a template for Flair's famous days as touring NWA Champion. Rogers is saddled with a pretty useless opponent, but finds ways to keep things entertaining throughout.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1961-04-14-NWA Chicago] Buddy Rogers vs Haystacks Calhoun
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Buddy Rogers vs Haystack Calhoun - Chicago 4/14/61

There are certain wrestlers my Dad & my uncles always bring up and Haystack Calhoun is one of them, so I have always wanted to see one of his matches. I do enjoy me some Buddy Rogers.

I gotta agree with another reviewer when they say the Nature Boy looked a lot like the Nature Boy. :) This definitely felt like as close as we would get to Flair vs Haystacks. Calhound wrestles in overalls and barefeet and as horseshoe good luck charm. Was Haystacks the first wrestler not to wear traditional trunks to wrestle? Rogers makes a great go at this and Haystacks is quite mobile. He is no Jerry Blackwell, but his sit down splash and big splash towards the end are massive highspots. The early portion of the match puts over Haystacks size and that there is not much Roger can do against him. Great headlock work and Rogers cant even really choke him because his neck is too big. Rogers kicks at the leg and pulls the hair. They announce the Blackhawks are up 4-3 over the Red Wings to a big pop and then it is 5-3, which is funny to know. Haystacks bodyslams Roger and then hits his big aforementioned highspots. Rogers out of desperation starts to dropkick Haystacks with the second one sending him tumbling out of the ring, breaking the middle rope in the process! Terrific finish that a Big Show or Mark Henry should have cribbed. Clever way for Rogers to win and for Haystacks to be protected. Call me crazy but this was a lot of fun. ***1/2 

• 2 months later...