Pro Wrestling Only

Super Astro

Grimmas

My favorite flier ever. You can go on youtube and watch indie chumps doing dives a million times more complicated than Astro ever did, but to me they don't compare in beauty Astro simply backflipping off the top rope or hitting his somersault reverse headbutt. It's all about charisma and execution. Often the highlight of the matches he's in and he can go on the mat just fine. Was a major highlight of the 80s lucha set. He'll be on my ballot, not too high, but he'll be on.

• 6 months later...

An easy lock, and I couldn't imagine a list like this without him. One of the most consistently entertaining wrestlers I've ever seen no matter what year the match I'm watching was taped in. He has strong showings in a few of my favorite trios matches from the 80s lucha set (2/26/84 & 8/18/89 specifically).

• 1 month later...

Does he not have the singles matches to go with all his awesome trio work? He doesn't get pimped as a top tier guy but he stands out in every match I have seen him in. Not even Satanico has that good of a trio track record at least from my limited viewing.

The only singles match he had on the lucha set was with Satanico and it finished in my top 10.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Super Astro is definitely a guy I'm looking at. Just such a pretty high flier. Unbelievably graceful dives. Someone above said it, that his relatively simple dives look so much better than anything more complicated that has been invented since. I'm in love with his reverse diving headbutt.

I like that Blue Panther singles match, and he's been great in every trios I've seen him in so far.

• 7 years later...

Wrestling comfort food. I don't know if I've seen a Super Astro match that wasn't better for having him in it. The Super Astro backflip/dance combo never got old, even in the late '90s when it could easily have seemed out of place. Sometimes he'd cap it off by backhanding some poor rudo, and he was so short and so GOOD that he never looked like a prick doing it. Once you've seen his borderline suicidal tope atomico you'll never forget it. He bumped big, especially on backdrops, and was a very good technical worker too. Managed to feel like a big deal despite not getting many centerpiece programs on TV. This was a uniformly positive thread that didn't really translate into votes for Super Astro. He finished 283rd.

SA, Atlantis and Faraon vs Fuerza Guerrera, Emilio Charles Jr. and Blue Panther
SA, Atlantis and Mascara Sagrada vs Los Bucaneros
SA, Octagon and Volador vs Fuerza Guerrera, Hijo del Gladiador and Ponzoña
SA, Angel Azteca and Solar vs Rambo, Blue Panther and La Parka (my favorite Super Astro performance, for whatever that's worth)
SA, Volador and Transformer vs Blue Panther, Jerry Estrada and Fuerza Guerrera
SA, Mascara Magica and Olimpico vs Mogur, Arkangel and Scorpio Jr.
SA, Mr. Niebla and Solar vs Felino, Arkangel and Guerrero de la Muerte