Pro Wrestling Only

Ted DiBiase

Grimmas

As an aside, I really have no time for Christgau. Why? This was his review of Liquid Swords

Liquid Swords [Geffen, 1995]

gangsta as mystery, religious and literary ("Shadowboxin'," "Killah Hills 10304") **

Great insight Rob.

If there's any capacity for self-awareness in you at all, you should probably keep this sort of comment in mind before you casually dismiss an entire tradition of wrestling.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is precisely because I am self-aware that I will not be ranking any lucha or shoot guys. I am to them what our friend Christague is to rap, a philistine who will never get it no matter how many albums he listens to.

So, yes, self-awareness.

Christgau has liked plenty of rap albums including the first Wu Tang record. He's made an honest effort to engage with rap for 30-plus years. I often disagree with him and he's curtly dismissed plenty of albums I love, but I wouldn't call the man a philistine.

I hate even saying this here since it has nothing to do with DiBiase, but I'm not sure where else to say it. On the subject of shoot style, I think too much emphasis is placed on it being a "style". Is it really *that* different than something like Antonio Inoki vs Billy Robinson from 1975? I feel like if it wasn't wrestled in rounds and pinfalls were counted, it wouldn't be seen as its own thing so much.

It's considered a style because it was a breakaway movement (although it should be noted that when they first broke away the plan was to be New Japan Mach 2.) You won't find it all that dissimilar to earlier influences like Inoki and Robinson (particularly since Robinson was from the same background as Gotch), but I don't think Billy or Inoki shared the same philosophy or goals as the shoot boys.

Windham has a lot of awesome stuff in the 90s that surely bolsters his case. Who cares if it was on TV? TV was a massive part of WCW's output. And who are all these people bringing their A game on late 80s-early 90s PPVs? That didn't happen. The "Best of Ted Dibiase in Mid South" on the DVDVR sets vs. WCW PPV matches argument is not the level of scrutiny demanded in the Blackwell/Andre threads.

Jimmy, the DiBiase/Magnum matches are cool. I don't think they'll shoot Ted up your list or anything like that, but they're great stuff. I wonder what the musical equivalent of Ted is -- maybe the John Cougar Mellencamp to Terry Funk's Springsteen or something like that.

Polite request to end music discussion at this point.

Jimmy, Ted-Magnum should be online soon.

You are right, but perhaps you should temper the tendency to make analogies that go beyond wrestling. I understand it can be effective in making a point but I think it's easy for everyone to slip out of wrestling talk entirely when that happens. At the very least let's all try to be careful to keep wrestling at the center of our posts and not on the periphery.

I think I also reject the terms of the slightly snooty analogy.

It's less insisting that Mario's down the street has the best pizza in the world, and much more in line with sticking to the idea that the greatest bands are The Bealtes, Led Zeppelin and the Stones as opposed to some post-rock indie metal band no one has ever heard of.

In this analogy, fans of certain niches -- let us say shootstyle -- are much more akin to the fans who swear that, I dunno, Yes's Close to the Edge and Can's Ege Bamyasi are the best albums of 1972 as opposed to Ziggy Stardust or Exile of Main Street which are "overrated".

I say, after considering both, nah, prog sucks, it's still Ziggy, then Exile.

Or maybe there's someone who says it's Miles Davis's On the Corner.

And I say, after struggling for a month to get into discordant trumpets and whatnot, nah, fuck that jazz sucks too. It's still Ziggy.

Much closer to what it is, I think. Call that myopic, but I don't think it's fair to say that the sampling range is narrow.

Ziggy is a no-brainer, it doesn't stop being one just because jazz or prog exist.

I love you Parv, I really do, but I want to fucking burn this post and I'd risk taking down the whole forum with it.

As you were . .