Pro Wrestling Only

TLC and Stairs 2014 Reaction Show with Will, Kris, Dylan, Pete and Johnny

Will is joined by Kris Zellner, Dylan Hales (Wrestling Culture), Pete and Johnny (Titans of Wrestling) to talk TLC and S 2014. Plenty of opinions to go around as we discuss the best matches on the show, Roman Reigns' return, the future of the company, comparisons to the NXT Special and a preview of the Royal Rumble. All this and more!!​

http://placetobenation.com/tlc-and-stairs-2014-reaction-show/

I've got to watch this Super Porky match from 2010 first, but after that it's on track for a listen and I'll let you know.

EDIT: It's already going rough since we had to get the Gazoo impression from Kris instead of Johnny.

Ladder match discussion was really good though. I'm probably in the middle of both camps. I did think that Harper brought a ton of little touches that made everything feel organic and that yeah, it's the sort of match made for Ziggler. Match of the night but it would have worked so much better on a Wrestlemania or Summerslam or somewhere that it could feel important and stand out.

Mizdow argument was pretty good too. I do sort of agree that it could end like Riley, or maybe a better example is Virgil, where it builds to one big match. I have a decent amount of sentimentality from Sandow from watching him come up years and years ago. He was a babyface for a while in that indy but he was sort of like babyface Edge from a character POV there. Maybe a little more towards Stevie Richards. When he went face, it went mostly straight.

This will come up later with the last match I think, but one thing about this show that came through with the Rowan talk is the idea of finishes. Rowan looked good in losing. Dylan and Johnny felt that way. I did as well. And I wonder if I'm just so desensitized to WWE booking that it's something that we cling to or if it's actually true?

My biggest takeaway from listening to you guys talk about the first half of the podcast is that WWE put on a show where they really accomplished a lot of what they were trying to do(ok, not the Reigns promo and the Kane/Ryback match), far more so than usual. Whether what they wanted to do was the right thing or not is a different question. Also they managed to make things seem different match-to-match in this setting. Which by the end I was a little hossed out, but is still impressive.

Pete was spot on. Ambrose/Wyatt needed 300% more Memphis. I'll second the Rowan moment as the best in recap show.

I'm with everyone that they need to retire the show.

If they went and built the match around the eye injury the finish might not have comes across so hokey. The audience might have bought into the finish like the camera and Jake Roberts and DWB in SMW. The audience cares about both of these guys enough that they didn't have to do the stunt show to follow a show full of stunts. They could have seperated themselves from the rest of the card by telling a story the audience could sink their teeth into. It didn't happen, maybe we'll get it at the Rumble.