Pro Wrestling Only

Global Force Wrestling

Mad Dog

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if you get six months out of Low Ki you're doing good.

I thought he had a good run. LAX with him would have been good.

Good run is an understatement. I think his 2/3 Falls match against Dutt is arguably the best match in TNA history, the Ultimate X match was my favorite of that gimmick, and 3 way opposite Fantasma and Sydal was awesome.

In my opinion, Low Ki is one of those guys that belongs in a very select group - a wrestler who could have actually gone on to have a noteworthy career based on his skill level, were it not for his ability to get in his own way politically.

He's the only guy that justified the WWE's way of bringing guys in, giving them a few wins and then jobbing them for a few months to see how they take it.

He got a big head after that first tour with NOAH. I thought he was really going places when he did those Velocity matches and how good his early TNA/RoH runs were. Then the ego kicked in and his career kind of stalled out.

Really? I had heard his ego was a problem as far back as the very beginning of ROH.

I remember he got the win in the Main Event of their first show, he became the first champion by winning that Fatal Four Way, he had one successful title defense against AJ Styles, but then ended up losing the title unexpectedly to Xavier of all people. I know he had that one singles match against Joe a while later, but that was pretty much it for his first ROH run. It had looked like he was pretty much going to be the #1 guy in the company, and then...we got Xavier. I remember the rumor online at the time being that Low Ki was really difficult to deal with when it came to creative and finishes, so they took the belt off him.

Plus he was is and out of TNA multiple times for the same reason, no? I know he has since claimed that he never wanted to be famous in North America anyhow, he only ever wanted to succeed in Japan. Not sure I buy that.

My favorite Low Ki moment was when he wore the Agent 47 cosplay at the Dome show a few years back without letting New Japan know he was going to do the whole match wearing it. Like why wouldn't your response to having the opportunity to work one of the biggest shows in the world to treat it like you were going to goddamn Comic-Con.

My favorite Low-Ki moment would be one of the 20 years worth of awesome matches he had.

So I guess that proves the bar for "how much unprofessional shit will a company put up with if you're good in the ring" is somewhere between him and HBK.

It weird how so many wrestling fans are management shills. Low-Ki would rather control his own fate then go along with whatever dumb shit his employer wants. He values autonomy more then being a widget in a mostly shitty machine, I think that is admirable. Ki can go back to doing cool shit in AAW and JAPW, and I am sure he is happy doing that.

It's not being a management shill to point out a guy is a malcontent and never last places and probably hurt his career and earning power doing it.

Why do you give a shit about his earning power? Are you his accountant? You really think he is missing out the notoriously huge paychecks in Impact wrestling? Also calling a guy a "malcontent" because he didn't just do what his employer told him is pretty much the definition of a management shill.

He's like the guy that trains you at a company and then a couple of years later you're his supervisor.

He's missing out on working in New Japan, he burned his bridge in WWE. RoH isn't really interested in him. The guy has probably left a lot of money on the table. It's a career. Artistic freedom and all that but if you aren't making bank then why the fuck are you destroying your body?

Really? I had heard his ego was a problem as far back as the very beginning of ROH.

I remember he got the win in the Main Event of their first show, he became the first champion by winning that Fatal Four Way, he had one successful title defense against AJ Styles, but then ended up losing the title unexpectedly to Xavier of all people. I know he had that one singles match against Joe a while later, but that was pretty much it for his first ROH run. It had looked like he was pretty much going to be the #1 guy in the company, and then...we got Xavier. I remember the rumor online at the time being that Low Ki was really difficult to deal with when it came to creative and finishes, so they took the belt off him.

Plus he was is and out of TNA multiple times for the same reason, no? I know he has since claimed that he never wanted to be famous in North America anyhow, he only ever wanted to succeed in Japan. Not sure I buy that.

I don't think that's the reality of what happened. Ki was a regular in ROH for the rest of 2002 and most of 2003 after losing the title. He was being booked regularly by Zero1 but when he was not in Japan he was on ROH shows during that time period. I've never seen anything to suggest that that the title was taken off of Ki because he was difficult. Honestly, I don't even remember that being speculated about. Gabe's 2002 through early 2003 booking was all about taking the "wrestling as a sport" premise of the promotion and flipping it on its side to create angles. Xavier's "underserved" title reign was part of that and always seemed like a planned booking decision rather than a reaction to Ki being difficult to work with.

I'm with Phil. Low Ki might be uncompromising, but that's a big part of what makes him such a fantastic wrestler. Is he hard to deal with? Probably. But I'll take a guy whose a legitimately great pro wrestler that refuses to compromise of a mediocre wrestler who goes with the flow to his own detriment. The fact that Ki continues to get work despite being "difficult to work with" is proof of how good of a wrestler he is. If he wasn't worth the headache, he wouldn't get booked anymore.

He's like the guy that trains you at a company and then a couple of years later you're his supervisor.

He's missing out on working in New Japan, he burned his bridge in WWE. RoH isn't really interested in him. The guy has probably left a lot of money on the table. It's a career. Artistic freedom and all that but if you aren't making bank then why the fuck are you destroying your body?

Yeah, all of that...plus he's really, really short. Like, tiny short. Like, he's probably not allowed to go on a lot of the rides at Disney World, short. Like, he can probably still order from the kid's menu, and the waitress doesn't bat an eyelash.

The fact that Ki continues to get work despite being "difficult to work with" is proof of how good of a wrestler he is. If he wasn't worth the headache, he wouldn't get booked anymore.

Sure, if after having a 19 year career getting booked to wrestle in a high school gym in front of 75 people is your definition of "getting work." He's an unparalleled success an artiste, with standards of the highest order that we could only aspire to.

The fact that Ki continues to get work despite being "difficult to work with" is proof of how good of a wrestler he is. If he wasn't worth the headache, he wouldn't get booked anymore.

Sure, if after having a 19 year career getting booked to wrestle in a high school gym in front of 75 people is your definition of "getting work." He's an paralleled success an artiste, with standards of the highest order that we could only aspire to.

You sound like you have a strange personal problem with Low-Ki, while also seeming miffed that he didn't make different career choices. Seems like he makes ends meet just fine, and he's never stopped having awesome matches. I'm not really sure what else I would want out of a pro wrestler.

Yeah, all of that...plus he's really, really short. Like, tiny short. Like, he's probably not allowed to go on a lot of the rides at Disney World, short. Like, he can probably still order from the kid's menu, and the waitress doesn't bat an eyelash.

He is as tall as Bryan Danielson and Eddie Guerrero and taller then El Hijo Del Santo and Rey Mysterio. He is the same height as Floyd Maywether and only an inch shorter then Connor McGregor and they just had a fight that made an estimated $500 million dollars. There haven't been any smart arguments in this thread, but this is an especially dumb one.

He is as tall as Bryan Danielson and Eddie Guerrero and taller then El Hijo Del Santo and Rey Mysterio. He is the same height as Floyd Maywether and only an inch shorter then Connor McGregor and they just had a fight that made an estimated $500 million dollars. There haven't been any smart arguments in this thread, but this is an especially dumb one.

You're right. I was wrong. I see that now. Not only is Low Ki an artiste who never compromised his principles for stupid reasons like wanting to be a success, he's also a giant among men and could well make $500 million dollars before his illustrious career is over.

I think I love him as much as you guys do now. We should all get matching Low Ki tattoos.

Anyhow, as much as I enjoy discussing how misunderstood Big Show Low Ki is, I have a question regarding Global Force.

They have posted this preview for the next episode of Impact:

I don't watch Impact (nor do I intend to) so I'm not sure I understand this. Does Sexy Star even work for GFW? If not, why are they promoting this episode like this? Is Rosemary a big name for GFW?

I hate to be cynical, but to an outsider it almost looks like Global Force is exploiting this situation to try and get attention for themselves. More power to them, I guess. It just seems kind of odd that Global Force is planning on addressing the situation in such a sensational looking way.