• Death & Retirement Just Like Real Life
    • Death On Time - Retirement Can Be Pushed Back
    • Roll a Dice for Death - Retirement on Time
    • Roll a Dice for Death & Retirement

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a question, if rolling a dice killed Hulk Hogan in 1984 would that be an issue in the game? What about Flair or Steamboat or Mike Rotundo?

My idea was basically, that once you get to somebodies RL death date, you start rolling the dice, and go from there. I think it'd be way too much overuse of butterflies when it comes to alternate history to start randomly knocking off guys.

My personal view is that probably, RL deaths or major injuries that were a result of the persons long-term issues (Gino, David Von Erich, etc.) probably need to happen close to on time, but if Adrian Adonis isn't in Canada in '88 or Magnum TA isn't on a North Carolina road in 1986, whose to say they're necessarily in the same position?

The retirement thing is a really key consideration for one particular worker. Seems to me that if he was still working as opposed to being bought out by Vince, he might not have retired. You know who I'm talking about.

I think the impending death thing is morbid whichever way you do it. Grand Wizard died in October 83, so what happens? Someone drafts him and deals with his heart attack? Or he lives beyong it? In either case, I don't think mordibity is something we can be too squeamish about. Especially when like half of the guys are dead anyway.

The retirement thing is a really key consideration for one particular worker. Seems to me that if he was still working as opposed to being bought out by Vince, he might not have retired. You know who I'm talking about.

I think the impending death thing is morbid whichever way you do it. Grand Wizard died in October 83, so what happens? Someone drafts him and deals with his heart attack? Or he lives beyong it? In either case, I don't think mordibity is something we can be too squeamish about. Especially when like half of the guys are dead anyway.

Can Fritz draft the Wizard, please!

Why bother paying attention to retirements then? Obviously you could just offer someone a bunch of money to not retire. Anyone already retired should be eligible to come back.

We obviously can't have a system where everybody retired can come back, but there needs to be some kind of randomness too.

Is it more or less strange than someone seeing that 2 rookies in their first month of professional wrestling, after maybe 2 or 3 televised appearances are going to be one of the hottest acts of the 80s?

More really because you could argue that, say in the case of the Roadies, their look and so on would mean that a promoter could spot the potential.

Whereas in the cases of the deaths surely no one saw them coming, especially in the cases of David Von Erich and the Grand Wizard who were working literally a week or so before they happened.

No one in July 1983 knew that Grand Wizard would die in a few months.

This not only affects the relative value of certain people, but it also defies any sense of realism we might be going for.

Same thing with Japan tours. Guys went to Japan because they made more money over there, but since there is no realism factor regarding finances, why can't we just say that Dick Murdoch decided not to go to Japan because Bill Watts paid him enough money not to.

All I'm saying is that currently "Death on Time" is winning and a harcoded "David von Erich dies on February 10, 1984" is completely weird to my way of thinking.

Contingency can change a lot of things.

Just think saying "Grand Wizard 100% definitely has a heart attack on THIS day" is bizarre and gives everyone the power of being an oracle.

I'm completely against the idea that someone could draft The Grand Wizard and then plan for his eventual death in October. a) it's not in very good taste and b )they couln't possibly know he was about to die.

Pushes are things bookers have control over. Making someone a star knowing that they are called Bret Hart can be justified by "spotting potential and talent".

Knowing a guy will have a heart attack in three months is in a completely different ball park. It's nonsense.

I'm pretty particular about little things like this, they can make or break things for me. Will wait for final say, but I probably feel strongly enough that I would hand WWF over to someone else if the Death rule stands.

I remember I was a year into a career on Football Manager once and found out that my German players weren't going to internationals properly because I'd forgotten to fix the "fake" German national team thing that is in there for copywright reasons. Couldn't play on because something in the game world was off.

If everyone else feels strongly the other way, it's cool with me. But I don't think I can play in a setting where we already know the death dates of everyone involved. Makes no sense to me as a gamer or as someone who has played RPGs and things like that. Breaks immersion / realism idea and it's enough that I'd leave it.