Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler World Champ in 1983

Flyin' Brian

I didn't want to derail the 1983 project thread for determining a world champion, but I felt this was worth discussing.

JVK said:

I can't see any circumstance that Jerry Lawler becomes world champion in 1983.

With the buzz from appearing on Late Night with David Letterman a year prior with Andy Kaufman I think this is possible. Getting my thoughts together now on how to make it happen.

I would love to see you make the case. One thing people forget about Lawler is that he wrestled to his circumstances. World champions had.no problem coming in and wrestling Lawler for years. When Lawler was working week to week, the quality of his opponents want always up to snuff. He found a way through brawling, shenanigans and theatre to keep people coming back week after week when the primary heel for years was a 130 lb manager. However, he worked NWA style main events in the 70s. He had one of Dory Jr's Best Singles matches in the 1980s. He had a feud of the decade contender with Bockwinkel. Went toe to toe with Flair in the studio. Had great matches carrying Kerry and Henning feuding over the AWA belt. In Japan, he had a great match with Fujinami. The crowd was dead but he wasn't established in Japan either. Every gaigin who has wrestled in Japan has wrestled in front of a quiet crowd including Brisco, both Funks, Bock, Race and Flair. Sometimes against big guns like Baba or Jumbo so I hope the quiet crowd isn't used to discount the Fujinami match. SeriouslY, Lawler was versatile enough that he looked credible against monsters and could make smaller guys have a credible chance against him.

Tennessee wrestling was Tennessee wrestling. That's true.

I think where I fall on this was that he certainly wouldn't have a long run as champion. For starters, I'm not sure he'd be up to it. He was very comfortable in Memphis, with his TV show, with the loop, with everything else. It was one thing to go to Hawaii for a while. It'd be another to travel that heavy schedule. I think he'd probably make more money. Flair talks about how he made less than when he was just in Crockett, but considering he'd still bring in some from Memphis just from having a stake, the payoffs he'd get as champion around the country would probably be better.

I don't even know if he'd get a small run though. I don't get the sense that Jerry Jarrett was particularly loved. Memphis couldn't bring the sort of pressure that Georgia or JCP or WCCW could to the table.

Could he fulfill the role of champion? Sure. I don't doubt that. I just think that it's the least important issue on the table. I think if he did become champion it'd almost be more as a political move meant to spite someone than anything else. Ironically, if he became champion here, it'd almost be for the same reason, it feels.

Tennessee wrestling was Tennessee wrestling. That's true.

I think where I fall on this was that he certainly wouldn't have a long run as champion. For starters, I'm not sure he'd be up to it. He was very comfortable in Memphis, with his TV show, with the loop, with everything else. It was one thing to go to Hawaii for a while. It'd be another to travel that heavy schedule. I think he'd probably make more money. Flair talks about how he made less than when he was just in Crockett, but considering he'd still bring in some from Memphis just from having a stake, the payoffs he'd get as champion around the country would probably be better.

I think this actually the best case against Lawler as World Champion. I don't think he would have really wanted the NWA World Champion touring schedule.

You do realize you are relying on a LOT of outside talent coming in with your threat to cancel all Andre dates right? I'm not even in the NWA. I wish you would not push this to such brinksmanship.

I will now spend my morning furiously arguing with Mr. Joe Blanchard that Southwest should not leave the AWA to join the NWA simply so it can vote Jerry Lawler as World Champion.

I guess my biggest question would be in regards to Lawler and his partnership with Memphis. He was the main draw there and now, looking at the Memphis roster, is it reasonable to think that Memphis would survive without Lawler? I know Idol and Landell are good and the RnR are close to great. I know that when Lawler WOULD come back as the champ it would be huge business, but could a company sustain without its biggest star week in and week out?

I stand by what I said, if Lawler becomes champion WWF will leave NWA and cancel all Andre dates. Do what you want, but that's my pledge.

Ron Fuller won't be held to ransom over his vote. Therefore if WWF is serious, then Bobby Eaton will be withdrawn from his development plan and cut all ties with WWF going forward. Fuller understands the knock on effect of not booking Andre, but that's something he'll live with.

I guess my biggest question would be in regards to Lawler and his partnership with Memphis. He was the main draw there and now, looking at the Memphis roster, is it reasonable to think that Memphis would survive without Lawler? I know Idol and Landell are good and the RnR are close to great. I know that when Lawler WOULD come back as the champ it would be huge business, but could a company sustain without its biggest star week in and week out?

That's up to the Memphis promoter. He can deny Lawler as champion if he wants.

You know what? I think Ultimately Lawler would do it. I think it did matter to him, and I think that was very clear in his career and decisions he made later. He'd have a run the length of Flair's early run and be very happy with that. It'd check off a box, would be something he'd have forever, would make him money in the short term, and he'd claim it, very, very happily, for the rest of his career.

He'd paint the NWA title on the batmobile he bought when he was 60-something.

Yeah, Lawler would do it.

I stand by what I said, if Lawler becomes champion WWF will leave NWA and cancel all Andre dates. Do what you want, but that's my pledge.

Ron Fuller won't be held to ransom over his vote. Therefore if WWF is serious, then Bobby Eaton will be withdrawn from his development plan and cut all ties with WWF going forward. Fuller understands the knock on effect of not booking Andre, but that's something he'll live with.

Okay fine, the WWF is happy with whoever the NWA picks as champion. If you pick Lawler so be it.

Vince Sr is abstaining on the vote and neutral on who is champion.

This message has been brought to you by Phil Zacko.

Vince Sr would also like it to be known that that "although he is neutral", if Lawler is booked as champion he will have a grand total of zero dates in New York, LA, Philly, Pittsburgh, or any of his other markets. The WWF will also not be open to potentially lucrative champion vs. champion deals such as Race vs. Superstar Graham from 1978 or Bob Backlund vs. Harley Race on numerous occasions. The WWF expects the NWA champion to be credible.

HOUSTON : May 20

Nick Bockwinkel and Bob Backlund appeared on the same card with Nick pinning Dusty Rhodes due to the interference of Ted Dibiase and Backlund pinning Afa the Wild Samoan. Backlund wouldn't appear unless he could bring in a slow enough wrestler for him to "work" (I hesitate to call Backlund's matches work) with.

-Dave Meltzer from the 1983 Yearbook issue of the WON