Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 7/6 - 7/12

...TG

WWE fired Lisa Fox Lee today who had been with the company since 1995. She was the executive vice president of content and helped oversee the creative team. I remember that name from Kevin Nash shoot interviews. He absolutely hated her and tried to get her fired. She was previously a high ranking official in the NFL PR department before going to wwe. Maybe more changes coming?

edit: eh, looks like I have the wrong person. The time frames match up but Fox was straight out of college when she joined WWE in March 95. The NFL exec that Nash mentioned had a similar sounding name I believe. And he DID get her fired on second thought

With the exception of The Rock, who almost doesn't count, Cena may have the highest net worth of any wrestler alive, so he could probably stop whenever he wanted. The only other one close is Austin, who had a much bigger money run but a much shorter one as well. Then again, I'm not sure how much Cena's divorce a few years ago set him back.

I really do not think Cena is wrestling for himself or his bank account at this point. He just happens to be probably the most loyal WWE employee after Vince McMahon & the immediate family. He knows that if he just left right now the company would be hurting and I think his only goal is to try and build up some guys to his level so he DOESN'T have to keep being the top dog.

There is some truth to that but I can't imagine Cena ever really having a retirement either. I don't know what he has done to set himself up post-wrestling. I know he is probably wired to keep his ambassador duties going with charities and he will probably stay involved with the WWE in a capacity a bit more than just a retired guy popping in for a few dates a year.

Cena won't retire retire unless he is physically forced to. I think as he does get older and this run catches up on his body for good, he'll eventually transition into an Undertaker/Shawn-style "couple months a year" veteran schedule, and maybe in the end a late Undertaker-style "big Mania match every year" schedule, BUT with a whole lot of TV appearances and General Manager stints and other tricks to keep him on TV. He'll basically be as visible as possible while limiting his actual matches, if it comes to that. But in any case, he's not going anywhere for a long, long time.

He can want to build up guys as much as he wants, but the WWE has to book them right after Cena is done with them for it to mean something. Anyone else see that not happening the way I do?

Bray Wyatt is a limited shelf life gimmick anyway so I don't hold that one against anybody.

I think I'm probably the most positive person in the world about Rusev's booking post Cena-feud. He's been putting in great performances and outshining everyone else in the angle with him and in the long run I think he's a better heel without Lana. He is better promo than she is and will get more heat without the We Want Lana chants & fake Russian stuff. I wouldn't even argue that he should have gone over just that he looked like a monster before that feud and came out looking weak. Cena made guys like Khali & Umaga look better in defeat than he did Rusev.

As for what they do with Kevin Owens after the Cena feud, that will be the real test. I haven't been as high on the matches as everyone else, I kind of outright disliked the one from MITB, but I do think they've done a great job making Owens feel like a big deal right from the start.

As an aside, I think I get a lot more enjoyment out of watching WWE currently than most because I never fantasy book WWE in my head or even try and think about what they are going to do next outside of the truly obvious stuff like "no way Brock doesn't destroy that car" They haven't interested me enough in years to make me push my TEW game, or now the 1983 project, out of my head.

Cena's current run reminds me of Austin in 01. Austin was having all these outstanding matches with the talented newcomers, and then the next year he just didn't have it. Cena is the same age Austin was in 01 he may not have anything as bad as Austin's neck injury, but the wear and tear has to be piling up. I think I'd back him off the gas pedal, and let the younger guys work 20 minute tv matches every week.

I can watch current WWE for the wrestling matches, but it has a limited shelf life for me. The announcing makes me want to kill my own eardrums. But as long as I keep it to a match or two I'm usually not ready to hunt down and kill JBL. It's more than I can say for NJPW, which drives me really nuts every time it's not Minoru Suzuki or somebody outside of the modern puro bubble who will make their matches a little less uninteresting.

You're thinking Austin from '02. Austin in '01 was delivering on the weekly shows, sometimes on Raw and SmackDown in the same week.

?

What did Austin expect from his position in 2002? He turned down the Hogan match and the title match was always going to be Triple H's. What else was there for him given these facts?

Wasn't agreeing or disagreeing. Just stating that Austin had other factors for a sub-par in-ring year besides his neck. They probably could have done more than have him feud with a depressed Ric Flair though.

He feuded the NWO for the first half of the year and was gone for the second half. Not much to work with there. Austin also was quite candid in how frustrated he was with his position.

Wasn't he kind of hitting rock bottom in his personal life around that time as well?