Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 7/13 - 7/19

goodhelmet

It's just amazing how Cena, arguably the most Company Man person in the history of wrestling, turns completely emotionless when sitting at the commentary table. It's happened several times now, he's like a real life Michigan J. Frog.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the weirdest part of the whole thing. There was this awesome match, guys killing themselves, crowd going nuts, announcers getting excited...and there's Cena with his monotone robot voice.

I think he was going for super serious athlete studying the match, but he came off as half asleep and unengaged.

Someone said last week that not being emotionally invested in WWE makes watching the shows easier, because you can walk in, enjoy the good matches and walk out.

That's where I am now. I couldn't give a shit if Steph wants to take all the credit and take all the agency from the girls, I don't care if it all goes to shit when Vince is next distracted, don't care if they don't book it right. I just had a whole bunch of awesome girls brawling around and forearming each other in a cool segment that got awesome chants. That's good enough for me.

The triple threat was amazing, I actually enjoyed it more than any single other match this year, except maybe Sasha-Becky. Fucking awesome all the way through. I kept biting on everything, I would think they had done everything and then they'd pull out something else. Plus so much cool shit every single second. Wowzers. I think my favourite moment out of a million favourite moments was when Cesaro nailed the Tornillo dive and almost fell over himself in celebration.

The Cena aspect was fascinating, and another cool checkpoint in the John Cena Midlife Crisis. He couldn't even pretend to feel bad about beating the shit out of a defenseless dude who's just been through hell. He was just relieved to have an easy night in the ring for once, without having to renege on the Open Challenge. And then he STILL almost lost (the man can't win when he works heel). I love everything.

I really wish people were so forgiving when WCW was around. Man, WWE gets a free pass so much of the time.

Cena doesn't strike me as a character who could give a shit about other people's wrestling. He has a passion for wrestling but part of the whole deal with him being a guy who deals with internal struggles is that he is an internal guy. He worries about himself only really. This is why the angles where he comes out to save "buddies" looks so fake or forced like Hulk Hogan used to. He is just a guy who is really better off left alone in his own planet as a character in a way. So him being uninterested in the match beyond "who wins to face me?" makes sense to me.

Someone said last week that not being emotionally invested in WWE makes watching the shows easier, because you can walk in, enjoy the good matches and walk out.

That's where I am now. I couldn't give a shit if Steph wants to take all the credit and take all the agency from the girls, I don't care if it all goes to shit when Vince is next distracted, don't care if they don't book it right. I just had a whole bunch of awesome girls brawling around and forearming each other in a cool segment that got awesome chants. That's good enough for me.

The triple threat was amazing, I actually enjoyed it more than any single other match this year, except maybe Sasha-Becky. Fucking awesome all the way through. I kept biting on everything, I would think they had done everything and then they'd pull out something else. Plus so much cool shit every single second. Wowzers. I think my favourite moment out of a million favourite moments was when Cesaro nailed the Tornillo dive and almost fell over himself in celebration.

The Cena aspect was fascinating, and another cool checkpoint in the John Cena Midlife Crisis. He couldn't even pretend to feel bad about beating the shit out of a defenseless dude who's just been through hell. He was just relieved to have an easy night in the ring for once, without having to renege on the Open Challenge. And then he STILL almost lost (the man can't win when he works heel). I love everything.

I really wish people were so forgiving when WCW was around. Man, WWE gets a free pass so much of the time.

They've definitely earned more leeway though. Even when slogging through months of never-ending TV, you eventually get rewarded whether its the Rumble/Mania main events this year, Mania or Summerslam last year, Rock's return, Bryan at Summerslam in '13, etc. The hits may be fewer and further between but after let's say the build to Starrcade '97 and Goldberg at the Dome, how many big, satisfying moments did WCW provide?

It feels to me like for every payoff, there are 10 things set up that aren't paid off. I don't think current WWE is quite as bad as death knell WCW, but they have made many of the same mistakes and more people are willing to look the other way then they were for the other guys. I guess that's a good thing, or WWE would have been up a creek many years ago.

I hear you. I guess the key words for me are "for every payoff" because there are enough of them to maintain optimism about the product week in and week out. Plus quality matches even if often numb to them because of presentation. Bottom line, there's enough that isn't pure trash and and its worst its usually just poor wrestling on TV, whereas during its death spiral WCW was simply unwatchable TV.

Years and years (decades) at this point of goodwill goes a long way. Plus they obviously do something right to find a few new fans, whether it be lucking into a Cena type, putting out great merchandise that's accessible for kids or countless other little things.

They're pretty good about maintaining a floor and should be able to do so as long as USA is on board.

I agree with you Loss but it seems that since the Bryan fiasco in the beginning of 2014 people have been more critical of WWE booking. That was so blatant that those that didn't complain before started to voice their criticisms

To an extent, but people eventually let up on the Daniel Bryan-type pressure being put on WWE. There was no huge protest after Fastlane, just acceptance.

This isn't that, but I've often pictured WCW in the DVD market. They'd announce a series that got people excited because it would be some great concept. Then, they'd needlessly clip all the matches to get it under one hour, and even though it's promoted as Volume 1, there would never be a Volume 2.

I am thinking of a modern day scenario that we criticize WWE for and how WCW would have actually booked it. WWE has the habit of taking a good thing and making you not care. WCW had the habit of taking a POTENTIALLY good thing and making you hate it. I'll think of an example.

WCW would've done the exact same nonsense before Mania last year and paid it off with Bryan losing on the undercard. They'd literally rub it in your face.

I think WCW would be more likely to keep Bryan in the cruiserweight division unless they wanted to do a bully angle to get over Kevin Nash. They might do a daring experiment where he gets a DQ win over Scott Hall on a Thunder or something. I actually just started a thread about the different ways all the wrestling companies are bad when they are bad, and maybe we can talk about it more there.

Not exactly this week's TV but what the hell.

I'm watching Summerslam 2005 on the Network and right before the main event they cut to the announcers and it looks like seated just behind them and to their right is the fan with the famous shocked face when Taker lost at Mania last year. Pretty cool.

"Disconnected" is a Scientology term for a scientologist breaking away from a family member who criticizes the church. Looks like she has a relative that has abandoned the Perry family. Or she's a Scientologist. That's all

I wonder if that's really her father or just some nut, sadly you can never tell when it comes to women (celebrities or otherwise) on the Twitters.