Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling board games

Anybody play any wrestling board games? This one seems intriguing:

http://plaay.com/facetothemat.html

When I was a kid, I had some type of WWF board game, but I don't remember much about it.

The wife and I have recently gotten into playing Pandemic and Carcassonne. Don't think she'd go for a wrestling game, but the one above seems like it'd be a fun solo game.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of a game I got back in the day where there were player cards for all the wrestlers and various match types and you'd roll die to go move by move. This was pre-cable when all I knew about the NWA was from the Apter mags so being able to run a texas death or bunkhouse stampede with Dusty & Flair was amazing.

I play the Legends of Wrestling and Indy Wrestling card games from Filsinger Games all the time. I know there is at least one other person on this board that does as well (though I won't out him in case he doesn't want that known!)

A bit repetitive, but since I'm too old to live out my booking fantasies with action figures, and I haven't liked a wrestling video game since No Mercy....it does the trick!

I know of at least two others that play the game (Filsinger Games).

I've played Champions since 1989 and Legends since it's inception in the early 2000s. Honestly, the best wrestling "board" game (technically it's not a board game, but a card/dice game) I've ever played...and it's not close.

Blechschmidt, not sure if you are part of my bootleg group. If not, feel free to take a look.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LegendsOfWrestlingBootlegs/files

I've played Filsinger's Champions of the Galaxy since its' inception in 1986. I've been involved with the wrestling stats side of Legends of Wrestling since the first set. I know of one other board member not mentioned so far, but that's for him to share. I haven't actively played in over 10 years, but I enjoy being involved on the creative side.

I think the game Winged Eagle is mentioning is the Superstar Pro Wrestling Game. It came out of New York in the early 80s through 1988, when the NWA edition was the last to be released. They originally did full sheets of paper with wrestlers names on it. As legal issues began, they moved to cardstock half sheets for the wrestler cards. At first, they used goofy names like "Nikita Kooloff" and "Terry the Tailor", then they left the names blank so "you and your friends can become wrestlers". Based on the movesets, it was pretty easy to figure out who was who. Their last set was a NWA set with pictures of Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Dusty Rhodes, etc., so they must have struck up some agreement with JCP. I've never found a big online presence for SPW, aside from a few articles on Board Game Geek and a computer simulation. I played it religiously before the Filsinger products, and I still have all of my sets.

There's a guy named John Harwood on eBay who sells a copy called the "Original" Superstar Pro Wrestling Game, but it's not the same gaming system and I've never checked it out.

I have a friend who plays Face to the Mat. I've never played it myself. He has a hybrid gaming system made up of the Filsinger games, Face to the Mat, and another game whose name escapes me. Kind of gives me a headache. :)

I have the Superstar game that they used to advertise in the mags, the original series. I made a card or two of my own to add to the wrestler list back then. Fun game, but I couldn't find anyone else overly interested in playing with me back in the day.

I know I still have it.

I have the Superstar game that they used to advertise in the mags, the original series. I made a card or two of my own to add to the wrestler list back then. Fun game, but I couldn't find anyone else overly interested in playing with me back in the day.

I know I still have it.

Khawk, did you know there was an AWA set for Superstar Pro? I acquired copies of the cards online. I picked up some old Verne Gagne Pro Wrestling Reports recently and found an ad for it. It appears it was only sold through the AWA because I never saw it in the Apter mags.

I've followed the Filsinger games for a while now, couple times (just wouldn't have the time) I've been real close to ordering all their ROH stuff. Glad to see support here for it also. We may need an ongoing thread to discuss (this one works too!).

The other thing that I've been curious about is the deck games, like Chad mentioned (I'm assuming Nitro is a deck). Those obviously rely on a second person though.

I mostly play the Indy games. I just use them all in a giant Indy promotion instead of just playing RoH or Evolve. ACH and Matt Sydal beat War Machine for the tag titles last night.

I had the WCW and WWF CCGs. They were interesting but it didn't feel like they had long term playability.

I've followed the Filsinger games for a while now, couple times (just wouldn't have the time) I've been real close to ordering all their ROH stuff. Glad to see support here for it also. We may need an ongoing thread to discuss (this one works too!).

The other thing that I've been curious about is the deck games, like Chad mentioned (I'm assuming Nitro is a deck). Those obviously rely on a second person though.

I've had the time issues as well, so you may want to try the online version. It was hard carrying around cards, dice, etc, but with the Filsinger Legends Online, you can just play on your phone, iPad, PC, etc.

When our daughter has some kind of dance practice or acting class, I can just play on the phone or iPad while waiting. It's much more convienient if you're on the go.

You can actually get a free online account with free Jimmy Snuka and Rob van Dam cards. It's worth checking out since it's free. In addition, you can buy create a characters where you can make up your own guys that aren't in the game (said no, under WWE contract), I use a lot of Vikingsfan's brothers guys and my own creations with the Create a Character option

Been playing Filsinger Games COTG since the early 90's and plunged into LOW a couple years back. Awesome games.

If you have a kid who is into wrestling give them a COTG set. Set up a fed and play together. Some of the most fun times my Dad and I ever had was when we were playing that game. Especially when my Interplanetary Champion Pit Viper downed his chosen challenger Ghengis Khan 7 straight times! Yeah baby!