Pro Wrestling Only

WWE vs Lana

sek69

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this climate, would it be better or worse if Ric had put her in the figure four or gave her a low blow?

Well, because of PG restrictions, Flair obviously couldn't do that, but, if you ask for my personal opinion, I would argue that a heel sneakily physically attacking a face is less offensive than what happened. My reasoning for that is because sexual assault is a different nature of crime; one in which, as Sek said, women are treated as nothing more than objects for sexual gratification, and are essentialised and reduced from being human beings to pleasure-giving robots. On the other hand, Flair low-blowing Becky would have meant that he recognised that Lynch was not only a person, but a dangerous competitor who needed to be weakened if his daughter had any hopes of winning. So, yeah. Just my two cents

The portrayal of sexual assault then. Christ.

Isn't much of wrestling the portrayal of attempted murder?

Technically, in sanctioned matches at least, the participants accept that they might die. That is why unsanctioned matches are considered such a big deal, and all participants participate in them knowing fully well they might die. Although I am not going to even try to defend Hogan's vehicular assault on Rock before WM 18. I just think this one is worse because it was basically played for laughs.

On an unrelated note, WWE's standard contracts after Owen died make for quite interesting reading.

In this climate, would it be better or worse if Ric had put her in the figure four or gave her a low blow?

Well, because of PG restrictions, Flair obviously couldn't do that, but, if you ask for my personal opinion, I would argue that a heel sneakily physically attacking a face is less offensive than what happened. My reasoning for that is because sexual assault is a different nature of crime; one in which, as Sek said, women are treated as nothing more than objects for sexual gratification, and are essentialised and reduced from being human beings to pleasure-giving robots. On the other hand, Flair low-blowing Becky would have meant that he recognised that Lynch was not only a person, but a dangerous competitor who needed to be weakened if his daughter had any hopes of winning. So, yeah. Just my two cents

I hope this actually happens and after Michael Cole demands he goes to jail that JBL says, "at least he didn't objectify her."

I'm just curious: Would people have been more okay with the kiss if she punched him and floored him instead of slapping him?

It would have been more okay if commentators and the presentation in general had emphasised that it was pretty disgusting, the way JR used to be outraged when Shawn Michaels used to be [a word I cannot remember] of his dignity".

Would Flair have done that if he was managing a guy in a men's match? Of course not. He does it here because in his mind (and probably in real life) no woman can resist the power of Space Mountain so it would clearly leave Becky too distracted to fight on. The fact that Flair is pushing 70 and has had so much plastic surgery done his face looks like a bad halloween mask of Ric Flair, and is still pushed as a ladies man makes it even more creepy. It's like how Hugh Hefner went from being every man's dream of living in a mansion of hot babes to being the creepy old man who'd get the cops called on him if he wasn't rich.

I'm just curious: Would people have been more okay with the kiss if she punched him and floored him instead of slapping him?

It would have been more okay if commentators and the presentation in general had emphasised that it was pretty disgusting, the way JR used to be outraged when Shawn Michaels used to be [a word I cannot remember] of his dignity".

They actually used the words: low, desperate, disgusting.

They actually used the words: low, desperate, disgusting.

Yeah, but I felt that the presentation of it was still that of a comedy spot. and Michael Cole being a shitty commentator doesn't help. I could be wrong, of course.

Would Flair have done that if he was managing a guy in a men's match? Of course not. He does it here because in his mind (and probably in real life) no woman can resist the power of Space Mountain so it would clearly leave Becky too distracted to fight on.

Like Sherri? https://youtu.be/pIR4y3DnE2Y?t=5m9s

Yeah, I guess that would be a vintage Flair promo he could cut about how he "dazzled" her. Edit: or something that just happens on a random flight. But it mostly came across in my house as a way to distract Becky for a few seconds while Charlotte was down without getting disqualified.

It's a problem with WWE presentation across the board that so many points that they should be getting across to viewers are distorted, muted or lost because of the terrible commentary and their inability to paint a proper picture.

The faces come off as robotic and soulless, and JBL usually wins any arguments they have because he's just better at arguing than they are, and thus the moral of whatever the story is is often lost. The faces say the right things but don't sound like they mean them, and the heel says moronic things, but at least he says them emphatically.

Back to Lana and the OP...Was the company actually trying to break them up IRL at first or only after their was heat on Lana? If so, for what reason? What plans do you think they could have had for her? Just like to fuck with people? Vince having an "If I can't have her" obsession or what?

Has there ever been a case of the company trying to break up a real-life couple? I recall they were not too happy with John Morrison and Melina, but I don't think they tried to break them up.

Well they didn't really have to do much on that because Batista was more than willing to try.

I thought they didn't break up after that? I seem to recall reading that it was why Morrison's push was aborted; Vince lost respect for him because he thought a "real man" would have fought Batista for that instead of just forgiving his girlfriend.

I was thinking how odd Lana's reaction to what Rock was saying to was when I saw the promo. She just seemed so out of character.

Would of been a bit better, yeah.

Sexual assault being used in a wrestling show is tacky and I generally don't want to see that sort of thing used to pop reactions out of people. I scratch my head thinking of a time when it was used tastefully.

I was at an indy show the night before the Rumble, where Tatanka forcefully kissed a heel valet who kept interfering whilst the crowd CHEERED. I'm not sure if I was more offended at that or that I was seeing a 15+ minute Tatanka singles match in 2016. But yeah, the Flair/Lynch incident pales in comparison to that.

When it comes to merging Steph's weird moneyed, TEDTalks concept of feminism with a PG version of the Attitude Era, it is not just a company trying to have their cake and eat it too. It's a company that is strategically placing cakes around the office wherever its top executives go, should the mood strike for cake at any moment, or the opportunity to smear cake onto a disobedient Diva's face present itself.

Also Chris Candido and Sunny. That was more the Kliq than Vince himself. I don't know if Sunny suddenly becoming just a celebrity in November of 96 and ceasing to have any functional role in the WWF for 18 months was a result of her drug problems becoming more known or relationship politics but it was one of those things.

This sort of thing seems to happen more often than you'd think in WWE. In Vince's world the biggest most muscular jock should always have the hottest girl. Nikki Bella is exactly how he perceives women to be.