Under-the-radar wrestling book recommendations

Cross Face Chicken Wing

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm currently reading Nitro by Guy Evans. So far so good, but I'm still very early into it.

On 12/25/2018 at 10:41 AM, Al said:

Highest recommendation for that book. [The Mildred Burke book]

That's good to know. I'm glad I grabbed it! (Although, to be honest, any wrestling book under $2 is probably an insta-buy for me.)

7 hours ago, JRH said:

Just started re-reading Eddie Guerrero's autobiography. Not really "under-the-radar" but one that doesnt get talked about that much. Some good stuff in that book.

What sticks out in my memory is Kevin Nash being referred to as "evil."

I got Nitro, Death of the Territories, David Schultz, and The Grappler's books for Christmas.

Started with The Grappler. Already half way into it, and enjoying it a lot. It isn't very long, and the way it is written makes it a quick read, but it's had several good laughs, and Denton doesn't take himself too seriously, which is a nice change from most wrestler bio's.

19 hours ago, JRH said:

Just started re-reading Eddie Guerrero's autobiography. Not really "under-the-radar" but one that doesnt get talked about that much. Some good stuff in that book.

It is/was. It was hurt by it coming out rather soon after his DVD, all obituaries & tribute pieces and the bitter taste the Eddieexploitation on TV. As a standalone project, it isn't a cheap or a slapdash book at all. Just most people were all Eddie'd out by the time of its release.

1 hour ago, JRH said:

Has anyone ever read Tito Santana's autobiography Tales from the Ring? The cheapest copy on amazon is 40 bucks, so it must be out of print, but if anyone has read it, is it any good?

It's not bad.  I got it at a used book store about a decade ago.  There's not too much new insight in there besides him talking about how Dusty Rhodes used to just hang out totally naked in the locker room in the late 80s, and that's where we get confirmation that Dick Murdoch was a member of the KKK and was more than happy to show you his membership card.  He doesn't say a bad word about anybody besides Ole Anderson and mentions almost getting into a fight with Shawn Michaels in 1992 but doesn't really go into detail.  That's about it for anything too notable.  If you like Tito it's a breezy, light read but don't go into it looking for anything really new.

• 3 weeks later...

How is the David Shoemaker book The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling?

It's currently on sale for $4.99 on Kindle, which is its lowest price to date, according to ereaderiq.com.

I really liked the author's articles on Deadspin, but is this more of an overview of wrestling history? I'm kind of burned out on those (and I still have The Comic Book History of Professional Wrestling to read anyway).

https://smile.amazon.com/Squared-Circle-Death-Professional-Wrestling-ebook/dp/B008BM4MN0/

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, Migs said:

I was a little disappointed by it.  I thought there would be more substance to the stories, but each one was pretty brief.  It was fine, but I'd probably give it 3 out of 5 if we're using Amazon's rating system.  

On 2/10/2019 at 7:37 PM, Migs said:

I can't remember if I learned anything new from it - I read it a couple of years ago, at least - but it definitely left a positive impression on me.

I really like interview books in general though, which is a rare format for wrestling. 

Here are two more like it on Kindle:

The Power Slam Interviews - Volume 1 and 2

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Slam-Interviews-1-ebook/dp/B01ILZX304/

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Slam-Interviews-2-ebook/dp/B06XQQ8KJW/

I believe most of these are reprints from the magazine though. I've never read a single issue of it,  so it was all new to me. But if you were a diehard Power Slam reader, your mileage may vary.

19 hours ago, BigBadMick said:

The Hansen book is very good. Goes into real detail on his early 70s work, and really good on the jump to AJPW. 

Very cool thanks.  Hansen is one of my favorites and should have a great story to tell but so should have Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race and there books were pretty disappointing.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 9:22 PM, C.S. said:

I finally got around to reading this over the course of a few nights.  Light, breezy read with lots of information you're bound to know already, but still a fun light read.  They know their audience and don't play kayfabe all that much.  They also mention that Gorilla Monsoon was the frontrunner to take over the company from Vince, Sr. before Jr. bought it out, which I somehow had never heard before.  I don't think it's worth the regular price it is now on Amazon but if you can get it on sale and are just looking for something to read before bed, it's worth a look.

• 8 months later...

I guess I was tracking this in ereaderiq.com, because I got a notification today that it's free.

Do Not Try This At Home: A Cautionary Tale About Wrestling  
by Christopher Holley  (Author), Kabita Studios (Illustrator)

It's a children's book about wrestling. Looks like fun! 

You need a tablet to read it though - a regular B&W e-ink Kindle won't work.

Note: Scroll down past the Kindle Unlimited "read for free" button and click on the button under $0.00.

Not sure how long the freebie will last. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KOPXRZK/

• 1 month later...