Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

Scott Norton is lazy for the most part. I'll point you at his 95 match against Hashimoto. He lost that match but he so no sold Hashimoto that it was a giant "wtf" moment at the end. It was also the first Hashimoto match I saw so it took me awhile to take him seriously after that.

Norton's match against Nagata at the Big Wednesday PPV is probably the best match I've seen him in.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm watching different matches but I just don't see the laziness.

And the selling -- I don't remember one match of his where I was put off by his selling.

There almost seems to be an irrational byist against Norton and because of his "nonselling" people don't think straight when they watch his bouts. Guys, the guy is a monstor and shouldn't be bumping around like the Dynamite Kid. He's legit one of the strongest people in the world with more muscle and strength on his frame than just about anyone. He's also charasmatic and has good execution on a nice arsenal of moves. What's not to like? Eh, maybe Norton's the last true heel in the vein that he's so good that even all the smarks can't take the hate blinders off.

I'll never, ever understand this. Man, I could name over 50 Scott Norton matches that I could just throw in the VCR and have a good to great time watching them.

Norton for example is easily in my top 100 wrestler list in smarkschoice. In fact, he's pretty high up and I almost think I should put him up even higher because everyone else doesn't give the guy his due.

Watching a Kevin Sullivan in Florida comp, and finding out he used the Twilight Zone music as his theme made him that much more awesome in my book.

Makes me wonder though, when old timers say they don't watch wrestling anymore because it's not family friendly like it used to, what the fuck are they talking about? The last two days I've watched Dusty get stabbed in the chest with a spike, Kevin Sullivan drag Fallen Angel (who was wearing lingerie and knee-highs) around on a chain, Ric Flair win the "services" of Precious for one night, various people get fire thrown in their faces, yet the old timers say today's wrestling is more raunchy because we get the random diva T&A match?

Most old timers never bought into Vince's vision of wrestling and so quit watching when the alternatives ran out.

Plus necrophilia and a lot of the WWF's recent antics are completely different.

Ric Flair brought out a mannequin that he used to "practice" what he was going to do with Precious.

Taker's Ministry of Darkness stuff was Kevin Sullivan's satanic gimmick with a better budget.

World Class was doing mud matches between women before the Divas were a tingle in Vince Jr's grapefruits.

Pretty much everything WWF/E does that offends people was done years before by some territory.

Ultimately it comes down to not like the WWF way of doing things. Old school fans never liked the cartoonish nature of the WWF and hated the punchy style of match. It doesn't help that wrestling is an afterthought in the current WWF.

Old timers want wrestling. The WWF doesn't do wrestling anymore. I honestly want to vomit everytime they say "sports entertainment" instead of wrestling on the shows. I'm sure that it's not exclusive to just me.

Ultimately it comes down to not like the WWF way of doing things. Old school fans never liked the cartoonish nature of the WWF and hated the punchy style of match. It doesn't help that wrestling is an afterthought in the current WWF.

Yeah I've always noticed that but in watching tapes from several old territories there were tons of punch and kick matches throughout the business. Yet somehow the WWF was labeled as "punch and kick" bad wrestling. You can make an argument that the punches were loose and not believable but other promotions were having the same style of matches.

Guest Cam Chaos

Mickie James is my new favorite person in WWE. From the "DO YOU THINK I'M PSYCHO NOW??" to her standing over Trish with a bloody nose asking if she loves her now, she's the best heel on RAW right now.

I concur. She's been giving me an Alicia Silverstone in The Crush psycho by rejection but with conviction vibe.

I'm re-watching this AJPW 90's comp. tape and I've realized how much Jun Akiyama is out of his league as it pertains to Misawa, Kawada & Kobashi. Hell, I even think big Taue out-performs him, at least in the matches on the tape. I can't quite put my finger on why but I just don't get as emotionally attached to the match that Jun is in compared to the other workers. They're just so much above him.

Word is the final HOF entrant this year will be William Perry. The Fridge is going to be in the "celebrity wing" with Pete Rose.

Makes sense considering WM is in Chicago and Perry was in the battle royale at WM 2.

So why am I not supposed to think that the Ganzo Bomb wasn't just a botched Powerbomb?

Because if you watch the match carefully, Misawa is trying to take Kawada over with a hurracanrana. Well, he gets trapped since Kawada isn't going anywhere so Misawa is actually dangling there.Kawada just says "Mother fucker, I feel like dropping you on your head" and he does. It illustrates All Japan head dropping at its worst. That would be like calling the Tiger Driver '91 a botched Tiger Driver... but it isn't.