Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling thoughts that probably don't deserve

Coffey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else noticed that Benoit is pandering to the crowd and mugging for the camera (in the ring and in backstage stuff) more and more recently? I think I started noticing it last summer (during the Jordan program) but I think it's clear now. I don't know if he is doing this on his own or the office told him to do so, but it's evident IMO.

Has anyone else noticed that Benoit is pandering to the crowd and mugging for the camera (in the ring and in backstage stuff) more and more recently?  I think I started noticing it last summer (during the Jordan program) but I think it's clear now.  I don't know if he is doing this on his own or the office told him to do so, but it's evident IMO.

It's been a gradual shift in Benoit since his late 2002 face turn.

Coincidentally, that's usually the time frame people say he started to deteriorate, and I once shared that viewpoint, but the more I watch him now, the more I realize he made a really seamless transition from junior to heavyweight, and now he's wrestling a main event style. Benoit still has it, it's just that "it" isn't what it used to be. Still great, will always be great.

WWE should be thanking whatever God they believe in that the Silverdome is closing. Vince wanted to run WM there next year because it's the 20th anniversary of WM3, and with the current level of interest in wrestling the turnout in a place that large would be flat out embarrassing.

Guest savagerulz

Why do you some people watch WWE anymore? I mean, this amount of whining about the WWE product on the internet is truly staggering. People complain and complain, have no hope about the product, and go on and on about how it will never be interesting and has no chance of being interesting. So why watch? I am really interested. You don't hear fans of "24" going, "It's fucking unrealistic and I hate that. The whole gimmick of the show is lame, and the writers have no hope of changing it. But I watch every week."

Guest Dangerous A

Why do you some people watch WWE anymore? I mean, this amount of whining about the WWE product on the internet is truly staggering. People complain and complain, have no hope about the product, and go on and on about how it will never be interesting and has no chance of being interesting. So why watch? I am really interested. You don't hear fans of "24" going, "It's fucking unrealistic and I hate that. The whole gimmick of the show is lame, and the writers have no hope of changing it. But I watch every week."

You have to remember that the IWC is a small, yet vocal and passionate percentage of wrestling fans. They will continue to voice their opinion no matter how bad things may be or perceived to be.

Another factor is that there is no real competition for WWE. If people don't like 24, they'll change the channel because there are other 1 hour dramas they can find to invest their time into. With wrestling, it's just WWE. You get what they produce. You aren't going to hear casual fans bitch about a bad wrestling show because they would just simply not watch it. The IWC is going to watch regardless. (at least a large percentage)

I'm not sure how many live WWE shows you've been to lately, but the fans who are just there for a good time and don't share their thoughts on the internet outnumber the smart fans by quite a bit. WWE caters to marks. They know they already have most of the smark crowd's money. The key to being a successful wrestling business is the mark's money.

Guest The Hawk of Miami

WWE should be thanking whatever God they believe in that the Silverdome is closing. Vince wanted to run WM there next year because it's the 20th anniversary of WM3, and with the current level of interest in wrestling the turnout in a place that large would be flat out embarrassing.

That won't stop them from running Ford Field.

I was watching iMPACT! tonight and thought of something I'd like to see. Abyss has James Mitchell as his manager. Basically, Abyss does Mitchell's bidding. I like Abyss being with Mitchell because it goes against Abyss' character to talk and Mitchell is a great mouthpiece. However, I don't like the whole "doomsday" think. I think it'd be fun to watch if Mitchell couldn't control Abyss. I'm not talking about Abyss turning on Mitchell, rather Mitchell not being able to dictate when and where Abyss just snaps and takes out people.

I think it'd be fun to see Abyss do run-ins during undercard matches and the like just to take out several people...just because he can. It's happened a lot in the past, with people like Sid and Scott Steiner. I just think it'd be more entertaining to see Abyss do it.

A backstage interview with Mitchell and Abyss where the interviewer is actually afraid that something might happen to him would be more entertaining to me than a backstage interview with Abyss grunting and Mitchell making thumb gestures. Especially if it involved Jeremy Borash, Terry Taylor, Larry Zybysko, Shane Douglas, etc. randomly getting assaulted.

I want to see Abyss get a world title push. :( I think he's my favorite wrestler right now. I know he's my favorite in TNA. Even ahead of Samoa Joe.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I was just watching a MSG show from '83 and had a few observations:

- I hadn't seen Billy Graham around this period. He looks absolutely awful. It's painfully clear how much steroids had destroyed his body. His skin looks scaley, not unlike a mummy. Sad, really.

- It's too bad the Grand Wizard passed away before the Rock 'n' Wrestling era got rolling. I've seen little of his stuff, but from what I have seen, he was one of the most charismatic personalities to get in the managing game.

- The general style most wrestlers were using here still bores the hell out of me.

- There's something to be said about the decreased enthusiasm for certain moves. In the Graham match, his opponent slaps a sleeper on him near the end and the crowd loses it.

In the main event (Backlund/Muraco), Backlund bases the match around a side headlock for the first eight or nine minutes. This grew tired after a while, but it was neat to see how he had the crowd in the palm of his hand, as they count along with each wrench he gave to Muraco with the move applied. As hear nears 10, he pauses for as long as 30 seconds before going on to the next one, but the crowd doesn't miss a beat and continues their count.

And while one may think that after five years as champ, people would've grown tired of seeing Backlund win or at least, stopped thinking he wouldn't win, that's not the case at all. When he finally beats Muraco, the house explodes, and you'd swear he had just won the title. He even looks like he's going to tear up as he celebrates afterwards.

Point is, it seems like if handled properly, a guy can be the champion for an extended period of time. With the hot potato mentality most belts have had for the last 10 years or so, it's tougher to pull off now, but I think it could still be done effectively with the right people and writing.

I always thought that what works in wrestling really hasn't changed since like, the 70s at least. When I hear a promoter saying that something won't work anymore, I hear it as they're too lazy/not skilled enough to pull it off.

People try to make things harder than they need to be. There's a 25 year template of what makes money in wrestling and what doesn't. Sure, sometimes it requires luck to snag the right guy at the right moment, but it's not rocket science.

Guest bravesfan

Batista had the credibility to go to a eighteen month or two-year reign with ease, which is incredible given that the creative team had tried their best to expose him in most of his matches following the Cell match with Helmsley. All I remember from his speech when he relinquished the title, was that the change seemed so premature even after nine months of holding the title, whereas Cena dropped the title at the "right time" to salvage him for Mania. With Orton and Batista on the same brand, they could've done a match at Mania XXII while keeping the crowd hot for a rematch at XXIII.

Stacy Keibler will be at the Oscars tonight. Apparently she was seen flirting with Jamie Foxx at a party last night.

You know thinking back you could really see Stacy desperately wanted to go to Hollywood a few years back. Back in 03 when Rock came back she was made fun of for "acting like a mark" around him and being in awe of his success. I think she saw what the Rock did and wanted the same thing.

I love listening to Bobby Heenan do shoot interviews, he makes everything sound so simple when it comes to getting over in wrestling. The fact that Vince could have him on the payroll helping the young guys and doesn't pretty much proves he doesn't care much about wrestling these days.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I love listening to Bobby Heenan do shoot interviews, he makes everything sound so simple when it comes to getting over in wrestling. The fact that Vince could have him on the payroll helping the young guys and doesn't pretty much proves he doesn't care much about wrestling these days.

Agreed. I was watching his 2001 shoot last week and he makes it seem so easy. I didn't realize he produced a lot of those interviews during the mid to late '80s, either. They could sure use that magical touch once more.