Pro Wrestling Only

6:05 Superpodcast Episode #24: House of Gullen

Marc-Gullen-promo.jpg

Get it here.

It’s time for one of the most anticipated episodes of the 6:05 Superpodcast to date! On this week’s show:

• Marc Gullen, the leader of the House Of Gullen, finally joins us for a conversation about his career in professional wrestling. We talk about his famed outdoor promos, Yomamba The Jungle Savage, Teijo Khan, teaming with Terry Garvin Simms as Beauty and the Beast, and many other topics. This interview it totally awesome!
  • The final part of our discussion with Bobby Simmons, Georgia Championship Wrestling referee and office manager, talking about GCW’s “northern tours” to Ohio and Michigan, The Sheik’s role in the expansion, debunking the rumors about Tommy Rich’s NWA Title run, the truth about Jim Wilson, and more.

Plus Brian’s memories of Harry White, a classic Dennis Coralluzzo promo from Memphis as the Dennis Of The Week, the Superuniverse Top Ten, a Mike Lano update, all the usual nonsense and much more, including “Capitol Revolution: The Rise of the McMahon Wrestling Empire” by Tim Hornbaker (CA) (UK) as our Book of the Week

Time Stamps:

• Marc Gullen (0:59:05)
  • Bobby Simmons (2:39:37)

Follow the show on Twitter at @605pod as well as Bix and Brian at @davidbix and @GreatBrianLast, and also make sure to like the official Superpodcast Facebook page. To support the show, please consider using our Amazon referral link (CA) (UK), which doesn’t cost you anything extra, as well as doing a free trial of Amazon Prime or Kindle Unlimited through us, which we still get a referral fee for even if you cancel right away. You can also make PayPal donations to David and Brian. Subscribe using our Feedburner feed URL or the links below, which include our iTunes link.

• 4 months later...

Finally made it up to this point and through it. I can get through about 1.5 of these podcasts a week so it took me a while. What's amazing is that the interview actually lived up to the wildest expectations. There was almost no way that it realistically could have, but it did. And those Bobby Simmons interviews are just amazing too. I want to take a break from these for a while, but on the other hand, I kind of want to make it to the point where the Broken Matt stuff starts and see how Brian and Bix react to it.

This episode is probably a good jumping off point if you are looking to drop this from your rotation. I like Bix and I like Brian Last, but the show becomes more and more about the Top 10 and the show lengths start to get really bloated with that stuff, and if you're listening more for the classic wrestling talk as I was, and not so much about the weird fringe characters that fascinate Last, then the show really starts to go downhill. Not to say that they ignore classic wrestling talk after this point, and it's not even to say that there aren't good shows after this point (any show with Cornette is usually strong, which makes me wonder if I should just listen to Cornette's podcast), but for me, the show isn't as strong as some of their earlier efforts. I think Bix leaving also probably has something to do with that as well, as some of the guest hosts that join the show after Bix leaves aren't very good. Again, not to slag Bix or Brian, but the show became less interesting to me the more it focuses on the Top 10.

This episode is probably a good jumping off point if you are looking to drop this from your rotation. I like Bix and I like Brian Last, but the show becomes more and more about the Top 10 and the show lengths start to get really bloated with that stuff, and if you're listening more for the classic wrestling talk as I was, and not so much about the weird fringe characters that fascinate Last, then the show really starts to go downhill. Not to say that they ignore classic wrestling talk after this point, and it's not even to say that there aren't good shows after this point (any show with Cornette is usually strong, which makes me wonder if I should just listen to Cornette's podcast), but for me, the show isn't as strong as some of their earlier efforts. I think Bix leaving also probably has something to do with that as well, as some of the guest hosts that join the show after Bix leaves aren't very good. Again, not to slag Bix or Brian, but the show became less interesting to me the more it focuses on the Top 10.

While the Top 10 is pretty pointless and Bix leaving left a uge gap in the show, I still think Last is a good interview and constantly finds worthwhile subjects so I'm still on board.

yea, this show is precisely the sort of thing i imagine getting over a lot more on social media than sites like these.

it's weird because a lot of the content itself is total old-school stuff, but it's also a show that "gets" modern internet meme culture and uses it to its advantage. i love it because this is the kind of stuff i can show my friends; they will never care about the meaning of "heat segment", but show them Glen Goza and they'll want more.

what i'm mainly thankful for is that this show fills a couple unique niches:

- providing a wrestling equivalent to the Japanese "kusoge" culture in video games. that is, digging for the truly obscure & wacky garbage instead of stopping at your garden-variety Shockmasters.

- preserving the history of the 90s smart-fan scene, especially the regulars at conventions and the like.

there's also the interviews with people nobody else would consider. Polish Joe was *tremendous*, for instance.

I do think I'm going to take a break from it, catch up on some of Flair's interviews, some of Jericho's, etc, on BTS, and then come back to it later. You're always behind and that's frustrating but I'd rather have too much stuff than too little.

One of my favorite things about it is how Brian's part of the community but he's from a different area of it, a little more inside, from that 90s indy subsection, whereas Bix (and Kris) are firmly part of that DVDVR "school." It gives a different viewpoint and was one reason he and Bix balance each other so well.

Add me as another who skips the Top 10 (and has done since Bix was part of the show). I imagine if I were to tune in this week it would still consist of Brian doing his Sue the Shooter voice, some unfunny tweets from Denim Fritz, a Black Scorpion impression, lots of sound bites of Mark Gullen, Larry Nelson and Lance Russell etc. I still listen (and will continue to do so) to the rest of the show but It was easily the worst part of the podcast for me.

You guys might be too dismissive. Yes, at the end of the Bix era TGBL got a bit out of control with his Morning Zoo shenanigans aka Top 10, but already by the first show after the departure he was able to hold the show together quite well. The co-hosts have all been good, especially John McAdam. So you should at least look at the rundown, as it would be stupid to skip the interviews and the segments might be to your liking as well.

I still listen and enjoy parts of the show. I do the same thing if Stern has a celebrity interview for the most, pick and choose. Between this podcast, between the sheets, Flair, Pritchard, Austin, JR, Exile on Badstreet, etc theres literally not enough time to listen to everything.

• 1 month later...