Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #46 (May 31-June 6, 1992) (Featuring Les Moore)

bts-46.jpg

Kris & David are joined by Les Moore (Talking Sheet) to discuss the week that was May 31-June 6, 1992. We discuss the end of Randy Savage’s marriage, Stan Hansen retaining the Triple Crown, the early weeks of AAA and how EMLL & UWA are handling the situation, great Eddie Gilbert/Jerry Lawler promos, the end of Portland Wrestling, and Bill Watts’ Ten Commandments. This is a tremendous show so listen now!!!

0:00:00 WWF

1:12:04 Japan: AJPW, NJPW, SWS, W*ING, & AJW

1:41:22 Other North America: AAA, EMLL, UWA, Puerto Rico, & Canada

2:28:58 Other USA: USWA, SMW, GWF, Portland, & Potpourri

3:39:20 WCW

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of all shows on the Network!

For more on the great family of podcasts at Place to Be Nation, click here

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-46-may-31-june-6-1992-with-les-moore/

I'm about 45 minutes in and the Sid-Visine-piss test discussion is fascinating, and it only adds to the legend of Sid Eudy. A quick google confirms that this is (or at least was) a real thing, as the there's a bunch of discussion on weed forums. Here's a good one that quotes a scholarly article: http://www.marijuana.com/community/threads/visine-how-and-why-it-works.248974/. Note that the thread is 7 years old so do some more research before giving it a shot.

When was that Savage letter published? I distinctly remember reading it, but I was very much a WCW guy in mid 1992 and don't think I even bought a WWF magazine until the second half of 1993 (when a friend of mine got SKY TV and I finally had access to see the WWF). if I'm remembering right, I wonder why WWF would wait a full year to do this?

Or else my memory is a complete muddle, in which case, just ignore me!

I'm about 1.5 hours in here. It's a sort of duel edged sword. I do think Les is engaged and adds a lot. On the other hand, this has been the most bloated episode so far and a lot of that comes from a deeper-than-usual textual analysis of Meltzer, his motivations, his proclivities, his style that goes way overboard at times, sometimes because it doesn't add a whole lot to make it about Meltzer primarily instead of the story being discussed and sometimes because the points just end up pressed in the back and forth for an extra couple of minutes longer than they should be, even when somewhat valid. I get that it's Between the Sheets and how things are reported is ALWAYS an element of the show, and an enjoyable one, but so far on this episode, it's taken center stage a bit too much and way too in-depth.

throwing in my required mention of Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (basically Revenge/No Mercy but with the AJPW license and all the other major promotions) and Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium (you can customize your create-a-wrestler's AI for fuck's sake) as the best ever. i think VPW2 came out in 2000 so you can extend that grace period to the early 2000s.

also Pro Wrestling ain't even the best NES wrestling game, Tecmo World Wrestling smokes it. has Ninja Gaiden-style cinematic cutscenes for big moves!

I'm about 1.5 hours in here. It's a sort of duel edged sword. I do think Les is engaged and adds a lot. On the other hand, this has been the most bloated episode so far and a lot of that comes from a deeper-than-usual textual analysis of Meltzer, his motivations, his proclivities, his style that goes way overboard at times, sometimes because it doesn't add a whole lot to make it about Meltzer primarily instead of the story being discussed and sometimes because the points just end up pressed in the back and forth for an extra couple of minutes longer than they should be, even when somewhat valid. I get that it's Between the Sheets and how things are reported is ALWAYS an element of the show, and an enjoyable one, but so far on this episode, it's taken center stage a bit too much and way too in-depth.

Excellently put and couldn't agree more. First time I've ever just given up on an episode of Between the Sheets and it was all down to 'Les'. I know the guy is obsessed with Meltzer but can't he keep this to his own podcast? Whilst I appreciate you can't always get the likes of Prazak, Naylor, Dylan on as guests, there are times when I just wish it was Kris and Bix discussing the events, this week with 'Les' and last week with Brandon were two such occasions.

• 2 weeks later...