Pro Wrestling Only

Initial Draft Discussion

LowBlowPodcast

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob Van Dam was left off the list, but accident. He was about to get his big push in 96, but by 95 had some fun underneath AJPW matches and had tryouts in WCW. Was a talent.

Should we wait and put him up as a rookie for that in September, or add him to the draft now?

Think a couple of WCW picks were made way too early, whilst the patriot is a solid hand think he went way too early being a 3rd round pick and Kanyon feels like a pick made knowing the future he was a jobber in 95 no way he should be picked this early

Rob Van Dam was left off the list, but accident. He was about to get his big push in 96, but by 95 had some fun underneath AJPW matches and had tryouts in WCW. Was a talent.

Should we wait and put him up as a rookie for that in September, or add him to the draft now?

I think best to put him in as a rookie. Make that more exciting. I also could not find Terry Boy/Men's Teioh or Command Bolshoi on the list, and I think they'd make interesting 'rookies" as well, unless you have other plans for them. (or unless I missed something)

Think a couple of WCW picks were made way too early, whilst the patriot is a solid hand think he went way too early being a 3rd round pick and Kanyon feels like a pick made knowing the future he was a jobber in 95 no way he should be picked this early

Patriot was a former WCW tag champion at the time, so not that big...

Kanyon was a jobber, so that is iffy. He did say he wanted to fill out his undercard, before going back to the top... but yeah, draft Tracy Smothers instead!

The main problem I am faced with is, as WCW, that I'm trying to achieve both depth and width; I need a few different divisions/scenes and they all need to have good-to-great workers. In real-life, I could just splash the cash to pull the good underneath guys away from the smaller promotions. In the game, however, I have to balance big name picks with good hands, future stars and pet projects. That's resulted in a draft list with about as much rhyme and reason to it as my GWE list (which is to say, very little).

So, if I want Del Wilkes and Davey Boy Smith, I can't just think about who's the bigger name, but who's in the most danger (with the former being available to most promotions, I 'd have to say it would be Del).

I agree, I could've waited on Del but I didn't want to push my luck after two great picks right off the bat. My worst fear would be picking a lot of big names, whilst the lower tier companies chipped away at my mid-card, and having very few people to build one or two years down the line.

Chris Kanyon is a paranoia pick, and I moved him up my list after a few of the underneath guys I was looking for got pinched; Chris Jericho, Lance Storm, Chris Candido and so on.

If you could see my plan (which, obviously, I'm keeping secret) you might understand. It suffices to say that I'm very happy that I've got Kanyon.

My main event scene is, in my opinion, very good and more than enough to carry me through to the summer of '96.

I feel like RVD should be on the list. He was only working A&B tiers as he was either AJPW or ECW. I don't think he would have been selected yet anyways.

I could easily see him in Tier C in 1995. He wasn't a name in ECW till 96 and AJPW he was very low on the card.

By the way, I am ectastic with how this draft is going!!! Terry Funk this late is a mega steal!

Grand Slam Tournament

Hayabusa

Masato Tanaka

Mike Awesome

Big Boss Man

Mr. Gannosuke

Sabu

Terry Funk

EDIT: Hakushi (almost forgot about this!!)

in a round robin tournament filled with street fights and barbed wire matches and explosions. This is going to be freaking epic!

WCW has Madusa....

Yes, I should've been more clear, I meant apart from me.

Hopefully not. I didn't put all the women in the draft, b/c I'd like to assume AJW or GAEA is still running (like AAA & CMLL & WWC are) in the background.

If it was officially stated by the other promotions, that could mean, as and when we were picking women, we'd only have to wait for each other (even though other promotions, technically could draft them).

Edit: Cleared up awful coding boobs.

Yeah, anyone on the list is available via draft rules.

I've been nice so far not picking off the USA/JAPAN list of women and focusing on the Japanese list. There is two I love on that Japan/USA list, so I think I will take the other one when you grab one of them. However, maybe I'll be nice and stick to the Japan list.

I can honestly say that every single promotion has at least a couple of crazy Fire Pro/Booking Revolution type matches that I would absolutely go out of my way to see.

I don't think WWF or ECWA have their Roster Pages up at the moment, but if memory serves they could offer up matches like Ahmed Johnson vs. Yokozuna and Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Sid... Or Dan Severn vs. Al Snow (a very intriguing match-up, given their history).

WCW can give us '95 vintage Bret vs. Pillman and Davey Boy vs. Sting...

All Japan can pit Eddie vs. Misawa or give us Kawada vs Tenryu... In 1995!

New Japan could match Hogan with Kensuke or Scorp with Hamada...

ECW could have Dustin brawl with Sandman or Owen put on a clinic with Malenko

FMW could have Hayabusa and Sabu or Funk and Bossman trying to kill one another

UWFi has endless match-ups on tap. How about Saku vs. Volk Han?

USWA: Ron Simmons vs, Terry Gordy. Barry Windham vs. Jerry Lawler. Good Lord!

SMW: How about Ricky Morton or HHH challenging Brad Armstrong for the title?!

M-Pro: El Samurai, Delfin, and Naniwa vs Ohtani, Jado, and Gedo, anyone?

OVW can serve up Tito Santana vs. Marty Janetty or Kevin Sullivan vs Taz!

Not sure what's going on with Rev Pro just yet... But Ian Rotten and The Headhunters in violent Indy sleaze? YIkes!

Seriously, from where I sit everyone is doing a good job of drafting, and a lot of you guys are doing a great job. Even if none of the matches I listed above eve get booked, the possibilities are almost endless. I'm looking forward to reading these write-ups.

The main problem I am faced with is, as WCW, that I'm trying to achieve both depth and width; I need a few different divisions/scenes and they all need to have good-to-great workers. In real-life, I could just splash the cash to pull the good underneath guys away from the smaller promotions. In the game, however, I have to balance big name picks with good hands, future stars and pet projects. That's resulted in a draft list with about as much rhyme and reason to it as my GWE list (which is to say, very little).

So, if I want Del Wilkes and Davey Boy Smith, I can't just think about who's the bigger name, but who's in the most danger (with the former being available to most promotions, I 'd have to say it would be Del).

I agree, I could've waited on Del but I didn't want to push my luck after two great picks right off the bat. My worst fear would be picking a lot of big names, whilst the lower tier companies chipped away at my mid-card, and having very few people to build one or two years down the line.

Chris Kanyon is a paranoia pick, and I moved him up my list after a few of the underneath guys I was looking for got pinched; Chris Jericho, Lance Storm, Chris Candido and so on.

If you could see my plan (which, obviously, I'm keeping secret) you might understand. It suffices to say that I'm very happy that I've got Kanyon.

My main event scene is, in my opinion, very good and more than enough to carry me through to the summer of '96.

I'll give way on Del, the way the draft is set up can force draft picks like that, but I have to question the viability of any plan that sees jobbers being selected in the 8th round.

Kanyon was not dropping off the draft board anytime soon he was jobber talent at best even in a tier d promotion like mine, and he's 2 years off being able to portray him as a mid-card talent, hindsight is a wonderful thing but this pick is as unrealistic as the rouge WWF picks earlier in the draft.

Vampiro pick was by far the most insane. Especially when the plan was the WWF to built around a Vampiro-Undertaker feud in early 1996.

If he really wants Kanyon in the Mikey Whipwreck role, that is cool. Yeah, this pick is out there. However, he has shown that he has a plan and everything is not out there.

Kanyon was not dropping off the draft board anytime soon he was jobber talent at best even in a tier d promotion like mine, and he's 2 years off being able to portray him as a mid-card talent, hindsight is a wonderful thing but this pick is as unrealistic as the rogue WWF picks earlier in the draft.

If I had quicker wits, I'd have thought of someone else (in fact, All Japan could probably attest to the fact that I wasn't being too bright, since my emergency replacement was much better).

Two points in my defence, however, are; first, I've pretty much filled up my main feuds/story-lines up to Starrcade (don't want to give much away, but I lucked out with my first two picks and didn't need much more after that) and, second, that I got very paranoid after the last few rounds (with guys I had above Kanyon on my list, coming off left and right).

Vampiro pick was by far the most insane. Especially when the plan was the WWF to built around a Vampiro-Undertaker feud in early 1996.

If he really wants Kanyon in the Mikey Whipwreck role, that is cool. Yeah, this pick is out there. However, he has shown that he has a plan and everything is not out there.

I missed the Vampiro pick :o, I think WCW does have a strong roster, but just feel that for a tier a promotion this is the stage to be building the mid-card, not drafting jobbers

Maybe in hindsight companies should have been giving more saves as the undercard talent for especially WCW and ECW has been decimated by smaller promotions.

I think WCW does have a strong roster, but just feel that for a tier a promotion this is the stage to be building the mid-card, not drafting jobbers.

There were two ways I could've dealt with the situation, and my sentimental side got the best of me.

So, when Jericho came off, I should've looked for a replacement but, instead, I just crossed him off my list and went down. Same with Storm, and then with Sullivan.

So (this isn't totally accurate, but a good approximation), I had Chris Jericho, then Lance Storm, then Kevin Sullivan, then a woman (I feel safer leaving the women, since there's less risk of them being stolen; with FMW as my only competition) and, then, Chris Kanyon. Instead of coming up for a replacement for the guys higher up, I just freaked out (not wanting anyone else from my list to get taken) and bumped Kanyon up my list.

I think WCW does have a strong roster, but just feel that for a tier a promotion this is the stage to be building the mid-card, not drafting jobbers.

There were two ways I could've dealt with the situation, and my sentimental side got the best of me.

So, when Jericho came off, I should've looked for a replacement but, instead, I just crossed him off my list and went down. Same with Storm, and then with Sullivan.

So (this isn't totally accurate, but a good approximation), I had Chris Jericho, then Lance Storm, then Kevin Sullivan, then a woman (I feel safer leaving the women, since there's less risk of them being stolen; with FMW as my only competition) and, then, Chris Kanyon. Instead of coming up for a replacement for the guys higher up, I just freaked out (not wanting anyone else from my list to get taken) and bumped Kanyon up my list.

Ok, Ironically i nearly did not draft Sullivan myself that early but bumped him up my list past Tito because I was worried that you or ECW would have him on your lists, and I've got plans that could really use him.