Pro Wrestling Only

Initial Draft Discussion

LowBlowPodcast

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talent raiding is kind of laid out in the rules.

Essentially once a month one bigger promotion will attempt to raid talent and a die will determine if they get them or not. It will switch to a new promotion each month.

When new talent becomes available, rookies get drafted by the Tier C/D promotions, while people coming back will be worked into free agency (will need to hash that out too).

I am open to suggestions and we can figure this out. Probably take this discussion to the rules thread.

Just downloaded all of the FMW songs on ditch's site. In 1999 there is a 5 on 5 Elimination match between FMW and BattlArts, holy shit!!!

Speaking of songs, I may or may not have spent a lot of time thinking about which songs to assign my new signees.

I'm thinking something SRV for Dustin Rhodes, for example.

By songs, I meant matches.............. odd.

Yeah, ECW was very good with theme music. It's awesome that you are taking that into account. I am excited for what you give to the Lightning Kid!

FMW started as Onita vs Karate Fighter Aoyagi. Frontier Martial Arts Wrestling. Maybe Hayabusa wants to "prove himself" like Onita against "real fighters." Maybe Fujiwara is like "don't worry fellas, I got this."

So Fuji wears a crown of barbed wire to the ring that he uses to headbutt/maim Hayabusa.

And imagine REGAL's facial expression after almost getting thrown into barbed wire.

FMW started as Onita vs Karate Fighter Aoyagi. Frontier Martial Arts Wrestling. Maybe Hayabusa wants to "prove himself" like Onita against "real fighters." Maybe Fujiwara is like "don't worry fellas, I got this."

So Fuji wears a crown of barbed wire to the ring that he uses to headbutt/maim Hayabusa.

And imagine REGAL's facial expression after almost getting thrown into barbed wire.

Fucking bring it!

If Hayabusa can prove himself in the Grand Slam tournament, then he can prove it anywhere.

Also if any chumps from the UWFi want to show up for the Grand Slam tournament, then they can be embarrassed by the most bad ass wrestling in the world's history.

Fucking bring it!

If Hayabusa can prove himself in the Grand Slam tournament, then he can prove it anywhere.

Also if any chumps from the UWFi want to show up for the Grand Slam tournament, then they can be embarrassed by the most bad ass wrestling in the world's history.

Are you running the tournament in September? I may have a couple of guys interested in winning your little garbage tournament, but most of them will be in training for their big fights at UWFi Late Summer Night's Dream at the Tokyo Dome. Which has nearly sold out in advance without any matchups announced and without a roster even finalized. The fans just saw the first 10 names and said "yeah, we wanna see whatever thats going to be." :)

I held off on drafting Volk Han because I knew nobody else would want him and I could land some heavy hitters early. In a world where we are trying to stay as true as possible to 1995 this might be my biggest steal in a draft where I've made like 5 steals. In addition to already being arguably the best shoot style worker ever, Volk was the #2 draw in a promotion that had averaged 7,241 in attendance (without TV but with extremely jacked up ticket prices compared to every other promotion in the world) up to this point in 1995.

And even with his credentials, Volk is at best the 5th biggest draw on my roster in 1995 depending on your thoughts about Dr Death. And that's before you start to think about Han with fresh main event level match-ups against Takada, Hashimoto, Vader, Dr Death, and soon to be Tamura. Fujiwara isn't really a draw in 1995 but I have major plans for him (as you could tell based on his introduction) and Fujiwara vs Volk Han is a dream match of sorts that can headline a smaller building (if I ever actually decide to run one) and would be a really strong mid card match on a major show of something like:

Takada vs Maeda

Vader vs Hash

Tamura vs Doc Death

Fujiwara vs Volk Han

I mean, that's a 50,000 person attendance level card in 1995 if I've ever seen it and I'm not sure any of those are the "biggest drawing matches" any of those guys would have.

Edit

But, this leaves me with only one more "Born outside of Japan" slot. I think I used them well. Han was always coming to me. I never in a million years expected Vader to fall like he did so when I had the chance there I needed to jump on it. Regal is someone I had targeted before we started because I think he'd be awesome working in UWFi and we'd get cool matches like Regal vs Vader and Doc. Doc is a weird one because he is a big star and great worker at this point, but had never worked the style. He's someone I wasn't exactly focused on selecting and debated against it, but it really felt like a value pick. There are a finite number of guys who could reasonably fit into UWFi. Doc is one of the few gaijin available who wouldn't just be able to work the style needed to be in UWFi, but he would make an impact at the box office.

But I'll be faced with some tough decisions. There is a trio of awesome Russians who could only work for me, a obvious pick who isn't any sort of name but is a great worker and is a personal favorite. There's also a pair of Fear inducing Faces who, while not having worked UWFi before, have the sort of tough guys reps that would allow either one fit nicely into the world I'm creating and would lead to a bunch of matchups that would delight me to no end.