Pro Wrestling Only

World Championship Wrestling Thread

Scarlet-Left

The following advertisement is set to air regularly on Turner owned networks and, with less frequency, on a select number of other large networks, during the last week of August:

Ed Weigle's voice booms out the instructions, as they appear (big, all caps, white letters stamped on a black background): "This Saturday! World Championship Wrestling! Live and in colour, only on TBS!"

The text is, then, replaced by rapid-fire shots of various big names (Sting, Flair, the Giant, Arn & Pillman, Davey Boy) snapping their heads to attention. The next shot is of Bret Hart, standing in the middle of a ring, the arena he's in is pitch black, the only spotlight is over his head. The Saturday Night intro theme plays, as the camera pans around him. He's wearing his familiar ring gear, but pale blue has replaced the trademark hot pink. As the seconds tick by, he becomes more animated, shaking one leg out, patting an elbow pad, flicking his hair back.

The image fades to black, and Weigle's voice returns. Once again, white text is stamped on a black background but, this time, the sound effect features an audible crackle as each word comes. "Bret Hart makes his WCW debut in the main event! Don't miss out! Saturday Night, only on TBS!"

The last shot is from a recent taping, Dusty Rhodes is chatting with someone (not in frame, presumably a play-by-play guy). "Two hours of live wrestling every week, baby!? You gotta' be kidding me!"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those calling in to the WCW hotline will be aware of the following developments:

• Bobby Heenan has been announced as the new president of the company.
  • The status of the World Heavyweight Championship will be addressed on the September second edition of WCW Saturday Night.
  • An exciting announcement about WCW's working relationship with New Japan Pro-Wrestling is planned for the premiere edition of WCW Monday Nitro.
  • Alexandra York has been in talks with numerous members of the WCW locker room.
  • Arn Anderson has expressed a desire to enter the tag team division.

• 2 weeks later...

02/09/1995

Raleigh, North Carolina

WCW Saturday Night

The intro music plays, along with a new video package; highlighting Brian Pillman, Sting, the Patriot and Alex Wright, with interspersed clips from the Crockett era and footage of good crowd reactions (especially children and families).

There's a very brief shot of the announcers' table.

Tony Schiavone: "Hello, everyone! You're watching world championship wrestling live on TBS!"

Dusty Rhodes: "Live and in colour, baby!"

Tony Schiavone: "Indeed, and - yes - it looks like we're going straight to the action."

Alex Wright is already in the ring for the opening match, having made his entrance whilst the intro package played. The referee is Randy Anderson. Wright mugs for the camera, playfully, as we await his opponent.

Mascara Magica makes his debut, to some cool music. His gear is pink and white, and comes with the addition of a sparkly silver cape.

Tony Schiavone: "For folks at home who may be unfamiliar with this man. He is one of the most popular wrestlers in Mexico, and he's here to showcase his tremendous skills to the world. Prepare to be impressed!"

The match begins with a handshake and after some tussling around, a lockup and some headlocks and escapes, it begins to find its purpose as a highlight package for the luchador. Wright is kept reasonably strong but doesn't get too much offence. It ends with a frog splash and Wrights gets his shoulder up just after the three count. Bell-to-bell time is eleven minutes and fifty nine seconds.

Tony Schiavone: "Now, folks, we've got to take a commercial break but don't go anywhere because, when we return, we'll hear from Sting. He's one of the team captains in the upcoming War Games match, at Fall Brawl on -

Dusty Rhodes: "Oh, at Fall Brawl, we're gonna' get an excellent War Games, I can feel it, Tony!"

Tony Schiavone: *short insincere chuckling* "Yes, that's on September the seventeenth, but tonight, we'll hear from Sting - and he'll be telling us who his teammates will be. Don't miss it, folks!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Tony Schiavone: "Okay, folks, we're back, we are on T-B-S and Gene Okerlund is standing by with Sting!"

Gene Okerlund is holding up a microphone for Sting, who's flanked by Davey Boy on his left (behind Gene) and the Patriot on his right.

Sting: " Ow! Let's not waste any time! I'm coming for you, Flair, at War Games! September Seventeenth! The people wanna' know who I'm bringing with me, well they need look no further! These are my teammates, and I guarantee they'll be more than enough for whoever the Nature Boy picks!"

Gene Okerlund: "Well, that's all well and good, but who's the fourth man?"

Okerlund is having some trouble getting Sting to focus on the camera, as the trio engage in a round of high-fives and an incoherent back-and-forth of firing each other up.

Sting: "The fourth man is someone you'll be seeing compete tonight, Gene! It's none other than... Bret Hart!"

We get a panning shot, from the ramp to the ring, Chris Adams is milling about by one of the turnbuckles. We cut to the announcers' table.

Tony Schiavone: "An explosive announcement, wouldn't you agree?"

Dusty Rhodes: "Explosive! It - certainly - is! That's a star-studded team, right there, and Ric Flair better have an ace up his sleeve, if wants to survive!"

Tony Schiavone: "Well, we'll hear from Ric Flair later on tonight. Right now, however, we've got a television title match on our hands."

The Renegade bolts down to the ring, and receives a mixed response from the crowd. The match is short, with Adams occasionally teasing the idea that he might just walk off. Renegade wins with some move or another. Bell-to-bell time is three minutes and eighteen seconds. Adams gets out of the ring and up to the back as quickly as possible, selling a bruised lower back.

Whilst the Renegade is celebrating, music plays and the Warrior runs down to the ring. He gets up in the Renegade's face and they have a stare-down and shoving match until Warrior surprises his foe with a scoop slam, which the Renegade sells like death. Warrior is, then, tossed a microphone. The crowd pops for everything he says.

The Warrior: "The Warrior has arrived to destroy the Imitator! There is no greater crime in the eyes of the gods than to mimic the life-form of another being! This man was not true to himself and must now face the consequences that come with defiling the natural order of things! Our paths will cross at the Fall Brawl and I will take your title belt as you have taken my image for yourself! You are a failed experiment and I have come to extinguish you from the pages of history!"

He drops the microphone on the Renegade and leaves, speeding off back up the entrance ramp after a lap around the ring.

Cut to the announcers table.

Tony Schiavone: "Stunning. Simply, stunning."

Dusty Rhodes: "At Fall Brawl, we get to see these two lock-up, Tony! And, I have a feeling that television title might go home with the Warrior afterwards."

Tony Schiavone: "It's certainly another exciting match-up set for what looks to be a stellar event. Another match-up we'll be seeing on September seventeenth will be the finals of the women's title tournament."

Dusty Rhodes: "I can't wait to see that one! I've seen some of the girls involved, and I know the viewers are in for a real treat!"

Tony Schiavone: "To explain, there are four places in the tournament - single-elimination - two rounds. Madusa will be facing an opponent as yet to be decided and Akira Hokuto will go up against Malia Hosaka - two amazing wrestlers from the land of the rising sun - this coming Monday."

Dusty Rhodes: "Who's Madusa's opponent gonna' be?"

Tony Schiavone: "Well, as I said, that's yet to be decided. But, we'll have a qualifying match on next week's edition of Saturday Night to determine exactly who. A relative unknown, again from Japan, called Aja Kong will be going up against the veteran Debbie Combs - a woman who, almost certainly, has to be the bookie's favourite."

Dusty Rhodes: "These women wrestlers, they mean serious business, Tony."

Tony Schiavone: "They sure do, and - okay, it sounds like Gene Okerlund is ready with Ric Flair we'll get -"

Tony is cut off, as we flip to the back. Flair is in grey slacks and a pale yellow polo shirt. He seems slightly tired.

Gene Okerlund: "I'm hear with the Nature Boy, Ric Flair. Now, the fans want to know, who are your picks for the War Games match, on September the seventeenth. Who'll your guys be?"

Ric Flair: "Well, you know, Gene, I'm really not prepared to give out that information just yet. My guys'll be top calibre athletes, you don't need to worry about that, and I've already notified the president as to who my three teammates will be. But, I just don't think it's a smart decision to hand out that kind of information to my opponents.

Gene Okerlund: "Oh, come on, now. The fans wan to know!"

Flair keeps his voice calm and quiet.

Ric Flair: "I don't, quite frankly, give a damn about what the fans wanna' know. I care about what my opponents wanna' know, and what they wanna' know is what I wanna' keep a secret until the time is right."

Gene Okerlund: "Is it Arn Anderson? Is he on your team? Are you getting the Horsemen back together?"

Ric Flair: "You'll not get me that easy, Gene. But, no, for your information, Arn Anderson will not be on my team, and there are no Horsemen. Until Arn ditches that worthless lapdog, Brian Pillman, he's pretty much dead to me, Gene."

Gene Okerlund: "Those are some very harsh words."

Ric Flair: "Well, I'm a very harsh person, and I didn't get to be the man I am today by playing softball."

Gene Okerlund: "Troubling and cryptic words from the Nature Boy. Back to you, Tony."

Tony Schiavone: "When we return, Bret Hart is in the main event!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

As soon as we return, Brian Pillman makes his entrance. He's fired up, rushing down to the ring - but not before engaging with the crowd a little - and Arn Anderson accompanies him, plodding down at this own pace. He gets a modest pop, but the crowd are bubbling with anticipation for his opponent to come out. Once Pillman is in the ring, and down from the turnbuckle he was posing on, the music hits and Bret Hart saunters down to the ring. He's wearing the black and pale blue gear he was seen with in the promotional video that had been frequently played during the commercial breaks of Turner-owned stations during the previous week. There's still a few nods to the old colour scheme, however, with pink tape on his left wrist and pink laces on his boots. He's wearing blue wraparound shades - begging for a lawsuit, which he places on a girl standing at one of the ring-side barricades.

The match starts off slow, with a lockup which Hart gets the better off. He pushes Pillman into a turnbuckle but breaks cleanly. The first few minutes are a crisp, if slightly robotic, display of technical acumen. Hart goes for a Boston Crab in the centre of the ring which worries Arn, who nibbles his thumb at ringside and paces, but Pillman manages to crawl to the ropes. He rolls out and Arn checks on him but, when Hart grabs Pillman's hair, to toss him back in, Arn backs off, showing his palms and frowning. They go back-and-forth but Hart never really loses control from more than a minute and the two go back to circling the ring quite a few times, teasing tests of strength but usually engaging with a lockup. The pace quickens after a dropkick from Pillman, which seems to come out of nowhere as they tease another test of strength. With Hart down, Brian goes through the ropes and waits for him on the apron. Just as he gets to his feet, Pillman hits him with a springboard cross body, but Hart manages to roll it through into a very close two count.

The match stays in top gear after that, with Hart whipping Pillman into the ropes once they're up and catching him with a spine-buster. It gets another two count but Hart attempts to follow it up by transitioning into a Sharpshooter. Pillman isn't prone, however, so he kicks Hart's hands away and rushes over to the ropes.

The final stretch is another springboard cross-body from Pillman but one that misses, with Hart running over to the side. With Pillman down, Hart hits an elbow drop from the second rope, which gets him another close two count. This time, however, Pillman is sufficiently fatigued for Hart to lock-in a Sharpshooter. The crucial moment comes when Brian manages to crawl towards the ropes. He can't quite reach them, but he could reach Arn's hand if his manager tried to help him. Arn appears to contemplate doing so but, ultimately, steps away and Pillman is forced to submit to the referee, who happens to be Nick Patrick. The bell-to-bell time is nineteen minutes and forty-five seconds.

After the match, Arn comes in, as Hart celebrates on a turnbuckle. He picks Pillman up, who sells not being able to stand painlessly. Once Hart is done posing, Arn confronts him. Words are exchanged, which the none of the cameras pick up but which result in Pillman and Hart shaking hands to applause from the audience.

Cutting to the announcers table, Tony appears panicky.

Tony Schiavone: "Before we sign off, we've got some very important updates to bring you, ahead of the premiere edition of Monday Nitro, on TNT, two days from now! Firstly, Harlem Heat will be challenging Dick Slater and Bunkhouse Buck for the WCW tag team championships! And, in the Main Event, it'll be Sting versus Ric Flair for the, as of right this second - I'm hearing this from the office as we speak - vacant world heavyweight championship! Don't miss it! Monday Nitro on TNT! September fourth! Two days from now!"

Dusty Rhodes: "There's no excuse to miss it! You work nights? Call in sick!"

And, we're off the air.

Excerpt from a TBS press release:

"... and we are committed to the WCW brand, also. Following the success of last night's live WCW Saturday Night programme, Turner Broadcasting has decided to increase the run-time of the highly anticipated WCW Monday Nitro to two hours. We are aiming to build a sustainable brand of family-friendly entertainment which can provide a backbone for Turner Network Television and become a profit-making powerhouse. Plans to maximise profits from the pay-per-view market are in place and they enjoy the full confidence of Ted Turner himself. Extensive plans are also in place for merchandising and licensing strategies, especially as they related to engagement from our key demographics. Details will be release as and when..."

Dated: 03/09/95

04/09/1995

Bloomington, Minnesota

WCW Monday Nitro

The intro starts up, a city engulfed in an inferno and clips of the top names projected onto the burning building; Sting, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, the Giant and Davey Boy Smith. Hulk Hogan and Vader are also featured, though there clips are shorter and explosions partially obscures the footage.

Eric Bischoff: "Welcome to the Mall of America and the first ever WCW Monday Nitro!"

Steve McMichael: "Oh, I'm pumped!"

Eric Bischoff: "Hello, everyone, I'm Eric Bischoff, joined by Steve 'Mongo' McMichael -"

Steve McMichael: "It's great to be here, for the debut of Monday Nitro!"

Eric Bischoff: "- and the new president of World Championship Wrestling, Bobby 'the Brain' Heenan."

Bobby Heenan: *eyes shifting nervously* "Yeah, yeah, let's get on with it."

Eric Bischoff: "Sure, thing, we've got a very important opening match to get to, as Harlem Heat challenge for the tag team titles. It's one of two titles matches we're bringing you, here, tonight - the other being our main event, Sting versus Ric Flair for the world heavyweight championship."

Harlem Heat are already in the ring once the camera cuts away from the announcers. As Dick Slater and Bunkhouse Buck make their way to the ring, they seem nervous and agitated. Their nerves appear justified in the early goings of the match, as Stevie Ray completely dominates Buck, throwing him around like a rag-doll. After stomping a mud-hole in him, and tagging his brother in, however, the dynamics of the match seemed to change.

Booker T has enough power to break any hold Buck can try to put on him, and to weather any strike he lands, but he can't keep up with Buck's desperation tactics. After a rake of the eyes, Buck takes the opportunity to bring the action over to his side of the ring. After goading Booker into charging at him, he dodges and lets his opponent catch nothing but turnbuckle. When it looks like Slater might be getting involved, Stevie Ray tries to come in but the referee, Randy Anderson, stops him. With the coast clear, Booker is double-teamed; Slater use the tag rope to choke him out as Buck nails him with a few closed-fist punches. It only lasts a few seconds, however, as Sherri Martel, rather than calling for the referee, takes matters into her own hands, rushes over to them, and pulls Slater's legs out from under him. He smacks his face on the ring apron and doesn't get back up.

The finish comes shortly after that, with Stevie Ray finally back through the ropes just as his partner breaks free. Ray is tagged in and demolishes one petrified Bunkhouse Buck. The bell-to-bell time is seven minutes and thirty one seconds. Harlem Heat are the new tag team champions.

Eric Bischoff: "An impressive outing for Harlem Heat."

Bobby Heenan: "They're a great team - wait, oh... what could this be?"

Ric Flair, wearing a t-shirt over his gear, walks up to the ring, without music, as Harlem Heat celebrate. The victorious trio are wary of him but allow him to join them. A crewman tosses him a microphone at his request.

Ric Flair: "I said on Saturday, ahem - woo!"

He's got a twinkle in his eye, a coy smile and he's lapping up the enthusiastic crowd response.

Ric Flair: "I said on Saturday, that I'd reveal who my teammates were when the time was right. Well, there doesn't seem like a better time than now to announce my first two picks... the world tag team champions, Harlem Heat!"

The brothers take the news well.

Ric Flair: "Oh, and, as for the fourth guy... He's here tonight and, yeah, you'll - you'll just have to wait and see about that one."

Eric Bischoff: "Very interesting comments from the Nature Boy, Ric Flair."

Bobby Heenan: "It's a great strategy; making the humanoids wait. What's Sting got on that? He gives up everyone all in one go, what's there to get excited for?"

Eric Bischoff: "Okay, we're going to have to take a short break but, when we return, the British Bulldog, Davey Boy Smith, will be in action against quite a formidable opponent. Don't go anywhere!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

John Nord is already in the ring. Davey Boy makes his entrance. He beats John Nord. Bell-to-bell is six minutes and nineteen seconds. Thank you.

Bobby Heenan, microphone in hand, comes down to the ring, whilst the Bulldog celebrates. He congratulates the man, and shakes his hand before addressing the boys in the back.

Bobby Heenan: "Well, since we've got approximately one quarter of Sting's squadron in the ring, I only need to ask the reaming three to come join him. Yeah, that's Sting and Bret Hart - well, I guess there's the Patriot as well, but this doesn't really affect him."

Davey becomes confused by that, and he asks the boss what he meant.

Bobby Heenan: "Why don't you wait and find out? Good grief!"

Sting, Hart and the Patriot come down to the ring, together, to a massive pop. They aren't given microphones.

Bobby Heenan: "I've got some big news for you guys. I - no, settle down. First off, I need to inform you that I'm vacating the united states championship, effective immediately."

Sting is taken aback by that, and Bret furrows his brow. The Patriot's brow may, or may not, also have furrowed.

Bobby Heenan: "Hey, hold on now. That's the price of admission for you to challenge for the world title. If you, wanted, I could just award the title to Flair. Do you want that? No, I didn't think so."

Sting looks angry now, but less animated. He's realised that the fix is in, and is bracing for the next blow.

Bobby Heenan: "The next thing I've got to say, affects your teammates - your would-be teammates, that is."

Bret cocks his head to the side, scowling.

Bobby Heenan: "To help solidify our working relationship with New Japan Pro-Wrestling, Bret Hart and Davey Boy Smith will be heading off to the land of the rising sun, until the twenty-fifth of November. As for Fall Brawl, they won't be there. You'll have to come up with a couple of replacements, I'm sorry to say."

Heenan certainly didn't seem sorry to say it, and he sauntered off after that bombshell, out of the ring and back up to the commentary booth. Sting's Squadron are still in the ring, talking to each other and generally appearing shocked and upset as we cut away.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

A small timing miscue means we join the next match in progress. It's only been going for a minute or so, and neither woman seems to have the edge. It's Malia Hosaka going up against Akira Hokuto and, whilst the former has a speed advantage, her offence seems to pack less of a punch. Hosaka has to pull out top-rope dropkick to have the same kind of effect on Hokuto as a standing dropkick in the other direction. They go at a fast-pace, which keeps the crowd engaged, if a little quiet. An eye poke, followed up by a choke-hold and a few other illegal manoeuvres which Randy Anderson appears helpless to prevent, puts Hokuto in control and she nails Hosaka with a sit-out power bomb for the finish. Bell-to-bell time is approximately twelve minutes, and Akira Hokuto advances to the finals of the women's title tournament.

Eric Bischoff: "So, we have our first name down for the women's championship match at Fall Brawl."

Steve McMichael: "I can't help but think the wrong woman won that one."

Bobby Heenan: "You can't help but think? Mongo, you can't think, there's no, uh, helping or anything."

Eric Bischoff: "Helping or anything. Interesting."

Bobby Heenan: "Gimme a break."

Eric Bischoff: "We'll find out who'll join Hokuto next week, when Madusa gets her shot at advancing to the finals. Before that, however, her opponent will have to be decided. That match will take place this Saturday. Let's take a look."

A video plays, showcasing some licensed footage of Debbie Combs, with her voice-over talking about what it'd mean to be the first ever WCW women's champion. Afterwards, we're shown a portion of an interview of Aja Kong; it's in Japanese, with no subtitles. After a few questions, Kong becomes hostile with the interviewer, stands up and knocks the camera off its tripod.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Eric Bischoff: "Welcome back to WCW Monday Nitro, and to those of you who're just joining us, still to come, in the Main Event, is Ric Flair versus Sting for the world heavyweight championship."

Cobra makes his entrance, to a tepid reaction. He's followed by the Giant, who strides to the ring, with a deranged look on his face. Alexandra York is in tow. The bell sounds. The Giant walks over to Cobra. Cobra punches him. He doesn't care. He throws Cobra from one corner of the ring to the other. Cobra groggily makes it back to his feet and throws some wild strikes at his opponent. Giant blocks them with his body, then choke-slams Cobra to hell. Bell-to-bell time is one minute and twenty seven seconds.

Eric Bischoff: "And, now, I'm being told we've got Sting in the back. Over to you, Gene."

We cut to Sting in the locker-room, he's on his own, looking gutted and distressed.

Gene Okerlund: "Sting, do you have any comments on what just went down tonight? Are you angry about having to vacate the title?"

Sting: "No - well, I guess I am, but I'm more angry about losing some valuable members of my team. I mean, we're weeks away from Fall Brawl. It's on September seventeenth, and now I've gotta' find two guys to replace Bret Hart and Davey Boy Smith. How am I supposed to do that?"

Gene Okerlund: "This seems like a heavy blow, will it affect your performance tonight? You've still got a big title match to deal with."

Sting: "It is a heavy blow, but it won't affect my performance. I can't let the Stingers down. My fans are all counting on me to keep the title out of Flair's hands."

Gene Okerlund: "Speaking of Ric Flair, what do you think of his team, heading into the War Games?"

Sting: "It's looking pretty solid. Harlem Heat are a very skilled tag team but, taken as individuals, I don't think they could hold a candle to Bret Hart or Davey but, then, I guess that's a moot point. It's hard to say exactly what I think, Gene."

Gene Okerlund: "And we've also got that elusive fourth man? I, personally think it could still be Arn Anderson."

Sting: "Yeah, I guess Flair could be bluffing. If that is the case, then, I guess this up-coming match will serve as some proof that you can't count my squadron out just yet."

Gene Okerlund: "Back to you, Eric Bischoff."

Eric Bischoff: "The match he was just referring to is our very next contest; the Patriot versus Arn Anderson."

Bobby Heenan: "He isn't."

Eric Bischoff: "The what now?"

Bobby Heenan: "Flair's fourth man, it's not Arn."

As we cut to the ring, the bell rings and both men lock-up. It's a back-and-forth and a good clean match. Though he appears tempted at times, Arn avoids dirty tricks. He lets go of holds as soon as the Patriot gets to the ropes, he keeps his palms open, and so on. It doesn't do him any favours, however, and he loses a tightly fought contest. The bell-to-bell time is ten minutes and forty four seconds, and they shake hands afterwards.

Bobby Heenan: "Maybe Arn should just call it quits! He's lost his edge. Getting pally with Pillman must be turning his brain to mush! Ha ha!"

Heenan's enjoying himself.

Eric Bischoff: "Well, now, I think that was an impressive showing. He may not have won but he -"

Bobby Heenan: "Winning's the whole point, you numbskull!"

Eric Bischoff: "What I was going to say is that Anderson has expressed an interest in getting back into the tag team division. One loss in singles competition shouldn't be a reason to start throwing the guy a retirement party."

Steve McMichael: "I think 'the Stain' has just had a few too many glasses of whiskey tonight."

Bobby Heenan: "Boy, I sure do hate your guts."

Eric Bischoff: "When we return, we'll hear from Ric Flair, plus Bret Hart goes one-on-one against Bob Backlund."

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Gene Okerlund: "... and that Bret Hart and Davey Boy Smith won't participate in the War Games match?"

Ric Flair: "He just needs to suck it up. I have no sympathy for the man, if he wants to whine about his troubles. This is wrestling, Gene, we handle our affairs with our fists. If he's half the man he seems to think he is, he'd get two random scrubs of the street for War Games. Better yet, why doesn't he just forfeit? That's the manlier think to do, admit your scared of the Nature Boy, and that you brought some big kids in from the school down the road to fight your battles for you. It's a hell of a lot better than moping and moaning."

Gene Okerlund: "Interesting comments. It's back to the action, now, I think."

When we cut back, Backlund is getting into the ring and his entrance music has faded away. The crowd explode for Bret Hart's entranced, and he appears fully focused on the task at hand. He gives his shades to a kid standing by the guard rail but avoids much more interaction with crowd. He doesn't pose on the turnbuckle, either. He's all business, and one gets the impression, beneath the cool facade, he's worried about an embarrassing upset here.

The match starts off slow, and goes to the ground several times. After about six minutes, however, Bret gets out of a headlock and things start to pick up. He whips Bob into the ropes, hits him with a spine-buster on the rebound and rolls through for a pin. Backlund bridges out just before the three count but his own attempt at transitioning into a pile-driver is countered into a backdrop. Backlund gets to his feet, by the corner, and narrowly avoids a shoulder tackle. Instead, Bret rams into the turnbuckle and falls backwards. His opponent seizes this opportunity, like a wild man, and locks in another headlock. This time, however, he's extremely animated, wrenching back and forth and peppering Hart's back with knee strikes. Bret only escapes by pulling himself through the ropes and falling to the floor.

Eric Bischoff: "Don't go anywhere!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The two men are back in the ring, and Backlund is firmly in control. He's working over Bret's left knee, which the commentators point out he's been favouring since he fell through the ropes. The referee, Nick Patrick, comes over to hear if Hart submits but he just shakes his head, defiantly. Backlund is sitting on Bret's thigh and wrenching the lower leg as far as it'll go. A few desperate clobbering forearms to the back unsettle Backlund just enough for Hart to push him off with his right boot. Hart hits a snap suplex once they're back on their feet, he's too occupied with nursing his left knee to cover his opponent. It's at this point that Bischoff begins to question why Heenan put this match on, saying these two men could likely go for an hour, and that, at this rate, they'd be off the air before the title match. Heenan tells him not to worry, and calls him names when he brings it up again.

The finish comes after Hart is pushed away from a superplex attempt. He recovers just as Backlund, positioned perfectly by a Hart to go for a top-rope move, flashes a mad grin at the crowd and hits Hart with a flying cross-body. Hart rolls it through for the one-two-three. Bell-to-bell time is twenty one minutes and three seconds.

Eric Bischoff: "If I'm not mistaken, we're heading straight into our main event now, once the ring is clear."

Bobby Heenan: "Ric Flair versus Sting for the world heavyweight championship."

Eric Bischoff: "And, per your instruction, this will be a no disqualification bout? No time-limit? There must be a winner? We'll conclude off-the-air if need be?"

Bobby Heenan: "Will you just shut up about that?"

Eric Bischoff: "WCW Monday Nitro. It's our main event... now!"

Sting gets a big pop, and he's got a smile on his face, apparently having broken through his previous spell of melancholy. He's on the turnbuckle as Ric Flair makes his entrance, strutting in his golden robe, with a half-smirk on his face, soaking in the cheers and the boos all at once.

The bell sounds and, for the first ten minutes, we get the match we expect to see from these two. Neither man has complete control, Sting seems to have the definite edge. All that changes when Lex Luger emerges. He sprints down to the ring, to surprised cheers which soon to turn to angry boos. He grabs Sting when comes up to the ropes, turns him around and pins his arms back for a closed-fist beat-down from Flair. Sting kicks Flair off him and even struggles free from Luger only to be knocked down by a forearm to the back of the head. Bret Hart limps down to the crowd's relief but Harlem Heat run after him and knock him down. Davey Boy and the Patriot come to the rescue, but can't do much for Sting, whose pinned by Flair after a vicious torture rack from Luger. Bell-to-bell time is eleven minutes and thirty-four seconds.

Flair gets his hands on a microphone and talks whilst a, now, ever-growing assortment of wrestlers duke it out on the outside.

Ric Flair: "For those who still haven't figured it out, this is my fourth man! He'll be with me at Fall Brawl, if Sting can even bear to show his face come the seventeenth. I'm the champ - I am the man, and this belt proves it! Woo! And I'm untouchable! Woo! From now on if you wanna' get to me, you gotta' get through Luger first! And that ain't gonna' happen! Woo! Ha ha! Woo!"

And, we're off the air.

09/09/1995
Atlanta, Georgia

WCW Saturday Night

Tony Schiavone: "Hello, everybody, I'm Tony Schiavone, this is Dusty Rhodes, we are world championship wrestling, and we're -"

Dusty Rhodes: "Live!"

Tony Schiavone: "- on T-B-S. We've got a big main event match for you, here, tonight, as the, newly crowned, world champion, Ric Flair, and his partner Lex Luger take on the team of Sting and the Patriot."

Dusty Rhodes: "We've got a little preview, of what's to come at War Games!"

Tony Schiavone: "That's right, Fall Brawl, on September seventeenth, we've got the date, we've got the venue, Flair has his team locked in... but Sting still has two spots left to fill."

Dusty Rhodes: "And you better believe there's a few guys in that locker room, hungry for a shot. Hungry for opportunity, baby!"

Tony Schiavone: "You think we'll see some guys try to impress Sting with their performance, here tonight?"

Dusty Rhodes: "That's exactly what I'm saying, Tony! We've got Alex Wright and Jackie Fulton in our opening contest, and I guarantee both men will be looking to get into the War Games!"

Tony Schiavone: "I have to agree with you, there. They might be nervous about the prospect of going up against the likes of Luger and Flair, and maybe even intimated by the War Games structure itself, but getting their name on that marquee, in the main event of Fall Brawl would be a massive boost to either man's career."

In our opening contest, Alex Wright takes on Jackie Fulton. Fulton gets generic rock music and comes out first. Still, it's a fairly competitive match, with Jackie getting a fair amount of offence. Wright never looks to be in serious danger, however, and picks up the win. The bell to bell time is eight minutes and twenty seven seconds.

Tony Schiavone: "We'd like to take you back to the opening match of the first ever WCW Monday Nitro. Harlem Heat, the team of Booker T and Stevie Ray, became our new world tag team champions and were then, immediately, announced as participants in the War Games match. Needless to say, they're riding high at the moment... but what about their opponents? What about the former tag team champions?"

Dusty Rhodes: "They've gotta' get themselves back in the game, baby!"

Tony Schiavone: "Well, they just might have a found a new way back to championship glory. After the disappearance of Colonel Robert Parker earlier in the month, speculation existed that they might have lost a certain intangible edge that he provided."

Dusty Rhodes: "What are you saying, Tony? Have they found the colonel?!"

Tony Schiavone: "Well, ah ha, no... but they've got themselves a new manager."

Dusty Rhodes: "Ooh."

Tony Schiavone: "Let's take a look."

A video plays, it appears to be a press conference; there's a row of white tables at the front and standees behind them promoting Fall Brawl (a logo on a black background with a fire at the bottom burning photographs from various events from the past year and the latter half of 1994), World War 3, Nitro and some sort of grape soda. Various crewmen, and fake journalists are taking their seats and a yellow text box appears, briefly, at the bottom left hand corner (it reads: "Earlier this week."), before Alexndra York walks out, followed by Dick Slater and Bunkhouse Buck.

York speaks into a microphone that's been placed on one of the tables. She awkwardly hunches over it, rather than sitting down to speak.

Alexandra York: "The York Foundation recently made history. With the debut of our most impressive signing, the Giant, we have ensured success for years to come. However, his eventual capture of the world heavyweight championship will not be down to me; he is a spectacular physical specimen who would achieve remarkable success even without the resources of our Foundation at his disposal. Today, ladies and gentlemen, I'm here to announce two additions to the York Foundation who might not be able to find a way back to championship glory without our help: Richard Slater and Baxter Golden!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Tony Schiavone: "Welcome back to WCW Saturday Night!"

Dusty Rhodes: "The hottest wrestling show in the world!"

Tony Schiavone: *short sincere chuckling* "That honour might have to go to Monday Nitro, dream. But we're a close second, nevertheless."

Dusty Rhodes: "..."

Tony Schiavone: "Right now, we're going to be seeing a very interesting match-up. Madusa will be facing the winner of this match on Monday. It's Debbie Combs against Asia Kong."

Dusty Rhodes: "Aja Kong, baby!"

Tony Schiavone: "Yes, no, that's right. She's something of an unknown. I don't suspect she'll pose much of a threat to Combs."

Debbie makes her entrance, all smiles, fawning over some kids in the crowd and generally hollering for support.

Aja Kong makes her entrance after that, to an ominous pounding trump beat.

The bell to bell time is one minute and twenty one seconds. Kong pinned Combs.

Tony Schiavone: "Oh my god..."

Dusty Rhodes: "That's my girl!"

Tony Schiavone: "Um... we... ah... we're gonna' take you back to Monday night. Some very important developments took place."

A video plays, recapping the finishes of each Nitro match, Flair revealing Harlem Heat were on his War Games team, Heenan dropping two bombshells on Sting, and clips from the main event, including the post-match brawl and impromptu Flair promo.

In our main event, Sting and the Patriot come out first. They're fired up and ready to go. Sting howls and the Patriot does a simple pose on the turnbuckle.

Flair and Luger come out to Flair's music. He struts to the ring, with a blue robe on and a massive smirk on his face, and Luger trails him, snapping at various sections of the crowd.

Ric Flair starts things off with the Patriot and, surprisingly, runs into some difficulty. His tricks work, but his holds rarely develop and his strikes don't seem to make as much of an impact. He eventually manages to tag Luger in after getting to the ropes to break a Boston Crab. Lex has far more success, displaying a clear power advantage and, even, shoving Del across the ring at one point, after a clear break in the corner from a lock-up by the latter. The Patriot tags Sting in at the soonest opportunity and he comes in like a house on fire, with a flying lariat that knocks Luger off his feet.

Just as the momentum starts to shift, however, Sting's passion gets the best of him. After battering Luger into the ropes, he fails to come away at the referee's four count and has to be pulled off. This allows Luger some brief time to plan. Once the ref is clear, he nails Sting with a clothesline.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

When he come back, Flair's been tagged in and he's chopping Sting to pieces in the corner. It doesn't help that Luger holds the Stinger's arms whenever he can get away with it. It eventually becomes too much for the Patriot and he rushes in, only to be taken right back to his corner by Nick Patrick. With the official occupied, Flair and Luger go to town on Sting. Once they think they've done enough, Flair takes him to the centre of the ring to pin him. The ref misses the lateral press, however, as he gets Del to settle down. Flair gets up to yell at the ref but, as he's berating Nick Partick's family and telling him to kill himself, Sting pops up to his feet.

An inverted DDT from Sting looks like it should seal the deal but Luger breaks up the pin at the last second. Sting immediately gets up in Luger's face, rattling him with closed-fist strikes, clearly incensed, as Nick Patrick is busy dealing with Del, who's, yet again, trying to rush over to help out. Luger is knocked through the ropes to cheers from the crowd, and the Patriot drops down from the apron to go after him on the outside. Sting goes back to pin Flair, who's still on the mat. Instead, he's caught in a small package and kicks out at three and a tenth.

Bell-to-bell is twenty minutes and forty four seconds, but it doesn't end there. As all four men continue to brawl, Harlem Heat rush down to assist their War Games partners. They scramble into the ring and help Flair beat Sting down. Del rushes into the ring but his foot is tripped by Luger and Stevie Ray takes advantage, stomping him and kicking him.

All hope is lost.

Tony Schiavone: "Wait! Look who's coming out! Look who's coming out!"

Dusty Rhodes: "Here comes the cavalry!"

Arn Anderson and Brian Pillman, like shining beacons in the dark, run down and take the fight to Flair and his evil squadron!

Tony Schiavone: "Ladies and gentlemen, this has been WCW Saturday Night, and, I'm just hearing this now, the main event, confirmed for this coming Monday, is Lex Luger taking on Sting, one on one! You don't wanna' miss it!"

Dusty Rhodes: "You can't miss it! You can't afford to!"

And, we're off the air.

11/09/1995
Miami, Florida

WCW Monday Night

Eric Bischoff: "Welcome to WCW Monday Nitro! We are live on TNT! I'm Eric Bischoff, this is Steve 'Mongo' McMichael -"

Steve McMichael: "- and Pepe! Say hello to everyone, Pepe!"

Bobby Heenan: *holds his head in his hands* "..."

Eric Bischoff: *yuk-yuks* "- and we're joined by WCW president Bobby 'the Brain' Heenan."

Bobby Heenan: *shoots daggers at his broadcast partners (all three of them)* "... We've got a great show for you, tonight. We've got Lex Luger in the main event, we've, um -"

Eric Bischoff: "- yes, tell us more about that, Brain. It's part of a tournament you've put together?"

Bobby Heenan: "Yeah, it's for the US title; three rounds, single elimination. Kind of a formality, though, since we all know Luger's taking it."

Eric Bischoff: "Well, there're quite a few athletes of his calibre competing as well. Two of them are in our opening match. In fact, tonight is something of a 'night of tournaments', shall we say?"

Steve McMichael: "We got Patriot versus Alex Wright. We got Aja Kong versus Madusa... and, then, we got Lex Luger versus Sting!"

Opening Match: The Patriot pins Alex Wright in eleven minutes and fifty three seconds.

Eric Bischoff: "That was an excellent match-up and the Patriot just takes. He'll be taking on the winner of our main event, next week, in round two of the united states title tournament."

Bobby Heenan: "He'll be taking on Luger. And losing."

Steve McMichael: "Lex will have to survive War Games on Sunday before that could happen, assuming he can even beat Sting tonight."

Bobby Heenan: "He should have no problem with either."

Eric Bischoff: "Speaking of Sunday, and the War Games match... 'Mean' Gene Okerlund is in the back with Sting."

Sting: "Ow!"

Gene Okerlund: "I can tell you're fired up for you match tonight, against Lex Luger but -"

Sting: "I'm ready to teach that no-good brute a lesson! No one screws the Stinger and gets away with it!"

Gene Okerlund: "It won't be the last you'll see of Luger. You'll be meeting him inside a steel cage, this Sunday, in the legendary War Games match. The question is, do have your team ready?"

Sting: "Well, you know Gene, I do! I've got Brian Pillman and a man who knows Ric Flair inside and out, Arn Anderson! There's no doubt in my mind that they'll be on the winning side!"

Gene Okerlund: "Aren't you worried by Arn Anderson's past associations with Ric Flair?"

Sting: "Me and Arn, we've had wars and, yeah, most of the time Flair's been the one leading him into battle... The difference this time, is that Flair's played all his cards. Everyone can see Luger's the only one keeping that belt around his waist. I've had a good long chat with Arn and he's opened up to me. I can't say much more, other than... I trust that man implicitly."

Gene Okerlund: "That's good to hear. Back to the ring... and back to the action!"

Eric Bischoff: "Um... we've gotta' go to a commercial break, I'm afraid."

Bobby Heenan: "Ha!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Gene Okerlund: "I'm here with the WCW world heavyweight champion, Ric Flair. Do you have any response to the Stinger's remarks?"

Ric Flair: "I sure do, Gene. I think he's fooling himself - no, screw that! Sting! I'm talking to you, directly! You're fooling yourself! Your team is cobbled together. I know you think you're a match for Luger, and I'm inclined to let you hold on to that illusion for now - since Lex is gonna' beat it out of you, tonight. But who's a match for Harlem Heat? They're the tag team champions. It ain't Brian Pillman and nobody. He's some punk whose only accomplishment came when they decided to section him and those other wimp nobodies off in that light heavyweight division. Is it the Patriot? He's been champ before, but where's his old partner? In some stripper duo, 'bout to get his ass handed to him by Dingus and Bob from Arkansas? Harlem Heat are so far higher up the totem pole, it's not even funny.

But here's the kicker, Sting. Who's a match for me? Who's a match for the greatest wrestler ever?"

Gene Okerlund: "Arn Anderson?"

Ric Flair: *snorts* "Please. He's played second fiddle to me for a decade. But if he - if you, Arn Anderson, I'm speaking to you! If you wanna' pretend you're my equal, why don't we put that to the test before War Games? We've got Saturday to do it? I'm sure Andre Junior versus the Pink Midget can be moved to Worldwide. What d'ya say? You and me, one on one, for the big gold belt?"

Gene Okerlund: "Challenge issued! Explosive comments! Back to you... Eric Bischoff."

Eric Bischoff: "Don't worry folks, we'll make sure to get Arn Anderson's response to that challenge by the end of this broadcast!"

Bobby Heenan: "That's what I've always liked about Ric Flair! He's a fighting champ! Ha ha!"

Steve McMichael: "I don't know. I think he may have bitten off more than he can chew, with that one."

Bobby Heenan: "That's right, Pingu, you don't know."

Eric Bischoff: "Right, down to the ring, we have Madusa facing off against Aja Kong. Now, Kong made a very impressive debut on Saturday, when she qualified for this match-up. It'll be interesting to see how Madusa, certainly the fan favourite to win this whole thing, deals with the challenge."

Madusa is knocked off her feet seconds after the opening bell sounds. She's tossed around the ring like a rag-doll for the first few minutes. She kicks out at two and three quarters after receiving the sit-out power-bomb that ended Debbie Combs, and immediately rolls out of the ring to recoup. It's not long before she's dragged back in by her hair, however. But, just after Kong slides back in, Madusa gets off her first offensive move (a low dropkick that knocks the kneeling Kong onto her backside). The crowd come alive with USA chants.

Bobby Heenan: "Who knew Miami people hated foreigners so much?"

Eric Bischoff: "Don't go anywhere, folks!"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Madusa, locked in a camel clutch, is screaming in agony but shaking her head whenever the referee asks if she submits. She's able to fight through the pain long enough for Kong to give up on the hold. She lets Madusa crumble to the ground and begins taunting the crowd. They respond by chanting the name of the country they're in.

When Kong turns back, Madusa is back up to her feet, but slightly hunched over, with pained and squinting eyes. Kong stares her down and slices her thumb across her throat. Akira Hokuto rushes down immediately afterwards, distracting both women. She gets up onto the apron closest to Madusa and taunts her. Madusa walks over and receives a light kick to the side for her troubles. Madusa winces but isn't knocked down or staggered by the blow. The bell sounds for the disqualification at the seventeen minutes and forty seven seconds mark.

Kong goes ballistic.

Gene Okerlund: "Arn Anderson, everyone's dying to know, what's your response to Ric Flair's challenge?"

Arn Anderson: "My answer's yes, Gene. I'd be a fool to pass up a championship opportunity like that."

Gene Okerlund: "Do you have any other comments for us?"

Arn Anderson: "Well, I would say that Flair doesn't know what he's gotten himself in to... but I've known him too long to say that. He's a very intelligent man, and he's probably got something up his sleeve."

Gene Okerlund: "And what about the War Games match, at Fall Brawl, this coming Sunday?"

Arn Anderson: "All I can say is, no matter what anyone thinks, me and Pillman, we're gonna' be the difference-makers in that match. You'll get a taste of that tonight, of course, but we're going that extra mile for the War Games match. We'll come out victorious."

Gene Okerlund: "And... we're heading straight to the ring!"

Third Match: Baxter Golden & Richard Slater defeat the American Males in eight minutes and fifty seconds.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

A video plays hyping up the War Games match, detailing the rules and chronicling its history.

Eric Bischoff: "The legendary War Games match! It's this Sunday at WCW Fall Brawl! And we take you now to our fourth contest, something of another preview of that match. Harlem Heat take on the team of Arn Anderson & Brian Pillman. It's a non-title match, but the champions can't really afford a loss of momentum, with Fall Brawl on the horizon and the former title holders once again moving into contention."

Fourth Match: Arn Anderson & Brian Pillman defeat Harlem Heat in twenty two minutes and nine seconds (including a commercial break).

After the match has ended, Ric Flair runs down and gets in Arn Anderson's face. Brain Pillman loses control and decks him, prompting Harlem Heat to jump the winners from behind. Sting and the Patriot rush down to aid their teammates and Lex Luger comes out to even the odds before a swarm of referees and road agents separate the two teams.

Eric Bischoff: "We interrupt this craziness to take you to 'Mean' Gene Okerlund. He's with the Ult - he's with the Warrior."

Gene Okerlund: "What say -"

The Warrior: "What cosmic law permits a man to paint his face when has not shown his true self to the gods in their trials and their tribulations?! If the Imitator had only known the consequences of his transgressions he would be the one to wash his face and see himself for what he is! At the Fall Brawl, there will be a reckoning which will sort the wheat and the chaff! The Imitator will leave with nothing, not even the paint on his body, and the Warrior will leave with the victory and the television title which belonged to him!"

Gene Okerlund: "Excellent. That's Fall -"

The Warrior: "Not because it is his destiny to be the television champion, for that is only a byproduct, but because it is the destiny of the Imitator to lose all of his possessions and the Warrior is ultimate tool of the fates and the judgements of the gods!"

Gene Okerlund: "September Seventeenth, make sure to -"

The Warrior: "What is written in the celestial stones cannot be unwritten and what is seen cannot be unseen!"

Gene Okerlund: "Back to -"

The Warrior: "We have seen your face, Imitator! Even if you did not wish it, your deception has only served to make you weaker to the powers of those who judge you! There can be no hiding from -"

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Main Event: Lex Luger pins Sting in twelve minutes and thirty one seconds.

Sting looks devastated as he walks to the back. Just as he makes it to the top of the entrance ramp, his shoulders shrunken and his face drenched in sweat and tears, Arn Anderson and Brain Pillman are there to greet him. They embrace him and tell him they'll get their payback at War Games.

Eric Bischoff: "That's all we've got time for tonight folks, but tune in to TBS on Saturday, for Arn Anderson taking on Ric Flair for the world title, and the following day, make sure to call your cable company and order WCW Fall Brawl; we've got the crowning of the first ever women's champion, we've got the Renegade defending his television title against the Warrior and, in our main event, we've got the legendary War Games match, with Ric Flair, Lex Luger and Harlem Heat taking on the Patriot, Brian Pillman, Arn Anderson and Sting!"

Steve McMichael: "I can't wait!"

And, we're off the air.

16/09/1995
WCW Saturday Night

Charlotte, North Carolina

Opening Match: The Giant pins Mascara Magica, in four minutes and thirty two seconds, to advance to the second round in the united states title tournament.

Video Recap #1: The finish of Madusa versus Aja Kong, snippets from Akira Hokuto versus Malia Hosaka, footage from a WCW magazine photo-shoot (Madusa and Hokuto, each with a hand on the new women's title, with their free hands held back as fists).

Candid Interview #1: Ric Flair talks about the main event, claims he doesn't know what's "... gotten into Arn, lately...", waivers in his tone, ultimately blames Brain Pillman's influence.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Video Recap #2: The finish of Bret Hart's debut match, Bobby Heenan revealing that Hart and Bulldog are bound for New Japan, the reveal of Luger as Flair's fourth man, clips from War Games past.

Candid Interview #2: Sit-down with Arn Anderson in his home; he wonders why whether he's already wasted his opportunities to be a world champion, claims Flair's days as a credible world champion are coming to an end "... maybe not tonight, I don't know, but he can't hold onto that title for long...", says Brian Pillman is the future of WCW and that he wants to keep the guy from making the same mistakes he did.

Hype Video: Brackets are shown for the united states title tournament, highlighting the Patriot, Lex Luger and the Giant.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Main Event: Ric Flair defeats Arn Anderson, via disqualification, in thirteen minutes and twenty three seconds when Brian Pillman interferes, leading to a stand-off between Arn, Flair, Luger and Pillman which devolves into a brawl when Sting, Patriot and Harlem Heat arrive just before the broadcast ends.

Matches promoted for WCW Fall Brawl 1995:

Jackie Fulton versus Chris Kanyon, winner advances to round two of the united states title tournament.

The Renegade versus the Warrior, for the world television title.

Madusa versus Akira Hokuto, finals of the new women's championship tournament.

Sting, the Patriot, Arn Anderson & Brian Pillman versus Ric Flair, Lex Luger and Harlem Heat, the legendary War Games match.

I am really excited to see where this all goes - Bret, Warrior, and a more involved Heenan make for a really intriguing addition to 95 WCW. One of my favorite parts of 90s WCW was the recasting and use of WWF guys in a new environment. Hart, instead of Hogan as a former WWF champ now down south in this timeframe is a cool premise. And Heenan, for various reasons, always felt like a disappointment in real life WCW. So excited to see him with something to actually do.

17/09/1995
WCW Worldwide

Asheville, North Carolina

Opening Match: Jim Duggan pins John Nord in six minutes and twelve seconds.

Hype Video #1: WCW Fall Brawl card is run down, with the reveal of a new match; the winners of the next two matches will battle in "... the Worldwide Special..." (going forward, every pay-per-view on the WCW calendar will offer a last minute chance for four "... fan favourites..." to find their way onto the card).

Second Match: Alex Wright pins Bobby Duncum, Jr. in eight minutes and eleven seconds.

Hype Video #2: A video plays which hypes up the women's and united states title tournaments, calling Fall Brawl a "... night of tournaments...".

Main Event: Mascara Magica pins Scotty Riggs in eleven minutes and forty seven seconds.

Hype Video #3: Snippets from the Warrior's two promos and the finish of the Warrior versus Chris Adams play to hype up the television title match.

Show ends.

17/09/1995
WCW Fall Brawl 1995: War Games

Asheville, North Carolina

Eric Bischoff: "Hello, and welcome, to WCW Fall Brawl 1995 -"

Dusty Rhodes: "It's War Games, baby!"

Eric Bischoff: "It certainly is, that's our main event this evening but we've got a lot to get through before then."

Dusty Rhodes: "We've got scores to settle... we've got titles on the line, baby!"

Eric Bischoff: *handsome smile* "And we'll get to see it all! Ladies and gentleman, I'm Eric Bischoff, this is 'the American Dream' Dusty Rhodes -"

Dusty Rhodes: "The one, the only!"

Eric Bischoff: "- and we are joined by the WCW president, Bobby 'the Brain' Heenan..."

Bobby Heenan: "Ha ha! Look at that, what an idiot!"

Eric Bischoff: "What?"

Bobby Heenan: "One of the humanoids brought his kid to show, poor little guy's got a sign saying 'we heart Sting'. Why would you do that to your child? Take them to a show to watch their hero get beaten to a pulp?"

Eric Bischoff: "Some would say Sting has the stronger team, all things considered."

Bobby Heenan: "What things considered? Flair's a world champ, he's got the tag champs with him and Luger's also held the world title. Can Sting say the same?"

Eric Bischoff: "Well, Sting's held the title. Arn Anderson's held several titles. Brian Pillman held the light heavyweight title and the tag titles and the Patriot was a tag champion not too long ago."

Bobby Heenan: "Yeah, but it's all in the past, ain't it? Flair's got the gold, and Sting's team are coming to the match with nothing - not an ounce."

Dusty Rhodes: "Luger ain't got no gold, either. If I were him, I'd been looking, all shifty-eyed at Flair. Where's my belt, Ric?! Where's my belt?"

Bobby Heenan: "Luger's got the US title in the bag. In fact, he knocked Sting out of contention for it."

Dusty Rhodes: "I know what it feels like to be a champ. Luger ain't got that feeling, baby. You're in for a rude awakening, if you think he's winning that tournament."

Bobby Heenan: "Well who'd you think's taking it? The Patriot? Give me a break!"

Dusty Rhodes: "I didn't say that, Bobby. I did not say that. Did I say that?!"

Dusty takes off his head-set, stands up, and begins shouting.

Bobby Heenan: "What's your problem, Dream?"

We only hear snippets of Dusty's response, as and when Heenan's mic picks it up.

Dusty Rhodes: "... you gotta'..." "... someone's gonna'..." "... I'll..."

Eric Bischoff: "Gentlemen, please. We've got a match to call!"

Dusty settles back into his seat.

Bobby Heenan: "Sheesh!"

Eric Bischoff: "This is a number one contender's match for the tag team championships. Brain, tell us how this came about."

Bobby Heenan: "Well, ordinarily, the former champions could expect a rematch. However, with the current champs unable to defend their titles tonight, I didn't want to leave this card without a space to show-case the depth of the division. So, I'm making the old champs work for their rematch."

Opening Match: the Fantastics (Bobby Fulton & Tommy Rogers) defeat Baxter Golden and Richard Slater (with Alexandra York) in six minutes and twenty nine seconds.

Eric Bischoff: "So, an interesting match-up, there. When can we expect the Fantastics to face Harlem Heat?"

Bobby Heenan: "Soon."

Eric Bischoff: "... Okay, well, folks, we're going to take a look at our main event now."

A video plays; its starts with a look back at War Games past (clips of Michael Hayes posing and taunting, a lot of clips from '92 and it ends on a shot of El Gigante carrying Brian Pillman in his arms) before moving on to clips detailing the trouble Sting has had finding a team. The last few minutes of the video are dedicated to the animosity between Ric Flair and Arn Anderson (it features clips from their interviews, their match and snippets of commentators talking about it).

Second Match: Jackie Fulton pins Chris Kanyon in four minutes and forty two seconds.

Eric Bischoff: "So, there we have it. Jackie Fulton will face the Giant tomorrow night, when we enter round two of the united states title tournament.

Dusty Rhodes: "He's mincemeat, when that Giant gets his hands on him. That's my pick to win. I think the Giant's our new united states champion, baby!"

Bobby Heenan: "Don't be ridiculous!"

Eric Bischoff: "He has been impressive, Brain."

Bobby Heenan: "I took an impressive dump last night, Eric. It still looked like -"

Eric Bischoff: "-whoa now."

Bobby Heenan: "You get the point."

Eric Bischoff: "And on that... note, we head back down to the ring."

No one is in the ring. Nothing happens.

Eric Bischoff: "No -actually, I think we're- yes, no, we're going to take a look at the women's title tournament."

Heenan shakes his head just before the video plays. It's an extended version of the video that played on Saturday; it includes footage from Debbie Combs versus Aja Kong which plays as we hear a few seconds of some audio that's been playing on the hotline for a few days (it's Madusa claiming not to understand why Akira Hokuto interfered in her match).

Eric Bischoff: "And, now, we'll head to the ring, I think... yes."

Third Match: the Warrior pins the Renegade in two minutes and twenty one seconds, winning the world television title. He is tossed a mic afterwards.

The Warrior: "The Imitator has been defeated and the gods have been appeased! He may be reborn, or he may fade away! It does not matter to the Warrior, for I have found a higher calling! This title I now hold must be made clean! It has spent too long around the waist of a man who has been judged unworthy!

This I pledge; I will take on all challengers! I will fight until I can fight no longer! The planets are in alignment and the stars have shown me the way! No other man can redeem this work of leather and metal! No other man can set it right! Can you not feel it!? Do my words not reverberate amongst you!? Can you not see that I alone will save us!?

Many powerful beings walk the hallways of the world wrestling championship! But my only equal has already left its narrow confines! Either I will carry this belt until my dying days! Or some creatures will rise through the crucible and take my place and steal my power! But there is no one at the present time who can match the warrior! There is no other favoured son!"

Eric Bischoff: "Well, how about that?"

Dusty Rhodes: "Those are fightin' words!"

Bobby Heenan: "Those are loony words."

Eric Bischoff: "Well, I think we're -yes, we're going to be joined by Alexndra York for our next match."

Bobby Heenan: "Miss York."

Heenan offers her the seat next to him.

Alexandra York: "Thank you, mister Heenan."

Bobby Heenan: "Have you not brought your computer with you?" *light chuckling*

Alexandra York: "I don't need a computer... I have a giant."

Eric Bischoff: "That you do, and we'll be seeing him in action in just a few minutes. In fact, the Giant's stocking has been on the rise ever since his debut. He's already through to the second round of the united states title tournament and I know he's factored into some of the business plans our president has been pursuing."

Alexandra York: "That's right. Soon enough, he'll be the united states heavyweight champion -"

Bobby Heenan: "- we disagree on that one." *polite, false and friendly laughing*

Alexandra York: "I'm aware of that, mister Heenan, yes. The fact remains, he's yet to be defeated... I've -yes, no, go ahead -"

Bobby Heenan: "- Miss York came to me recently, with some ideas for growing the company. She's a smart young woman, and her concept of a three-ring battle royal was too good to pass up."

Eric Bischoff: "This is the 'World War Three' I've seen the marketing material for?"

Alexandra York: "Naturally, I had my client's best interest at heart when I signed over the relevant patents to the company. I believe the Giant will soon be known as 'the King of the Battle Royal'.

Bobby Heenan: "Yep, and that's what we're showcasing here, tonight. We're going to have a two-ring battle royal."

Eric Bischoff: "Battle Bowl?"

Bobby Heenan: "No, think of this as a preview for two things; Battle Bowl four and World War Three. If the Giant can win here, tonight -"

Alexandra York: "- he will."

Bobby Heenan: "Then he'll have guaranteed his place in the three-ring battle royal, set for November twenty sixth."

Eric Bischoff: "And Battle Bowl four?"

Bobby Heenan: "Battle Bowl four, along with the Lethal Lottery, will take place on October twenty ninth, at Halloween Havoc."

Eric Bischoff: "That's... okay, that's a lot to take in... and we're off!"

Fourth Match: The Giant defeats Chris Adams, Marcus Bagwell, Bob Backlund, Cobra and Jim Duggan in twelve minutes and fifty seconds.

Eric Bischoff: "An impressive outing for the Giant. And we'll see him in action tomorrow night, against Jackie Fulton, with the winner advancing to the finals of the united states title tournament."

Alexandra York: "Gentlemen."

York leaves.

Eric Bischoff: "And, up next, we've got Alex Wright taking on Mascara Magica."

Dusty Rhodes: "I got to see these boys up close when they first tangled and I can't wait to see it again!"

Worldwide Special Match-up: Alex Wright pins Mascara Magica in fifteen minutes and twenty three seconds.

Eric Bischoff: "An excellent match-up. These young men continue to impress."

Bobby Heenan: "Yeah, you know what's really impressive?"

Eric Bischoff: "What?"

Bobby Heenan: "Losing, a whole bunch of times, ha ha!"

Dusty Rhodes: "You're talking to Bobby Heenan, Eric. He sure knows a lot about losing!"

Bobby Heenan: "I could teach you. You could do with losing some -"

Dusty Rhodes: "- you could lose an eye, talking like that. My elbow still works! It's still breaking skulls, baby."

Eric Bischoff: "Uh... So we have a match to be getting to."

The two women are already in the ring; Hokuto is wearing black and gold, to match her face-paint, and Madusa is wearing a blue two-piece. They're staring each other down. Hokuto looks unmoved but Madusa seems nervous, her jaw is wavering ever so slightly.

Michael Buffer: "Ladies and gentlemen, if I may have your attention, please. The following contest is the main event in the WCW women's title match! The winner will be declared the first ever WCW women's wrestling championship!

Bobby Heenan: *stifled laughter*

Michael Buffer: "Introducing the challenger, she is made in the USA... and... Madusa! And her opponent, from the Land of the Rising Sun, Akira Ho-ku-to!"

Ding-ding-ding, and the match is underway. They go straight into a tie-up. They don't move anywhere for the first few seconds, but they appear to be giving it all they have from the shake in their legs. Madusa eventually gets the best off things and pushes Hokuto into the corner. Randy Anderson calls for the clean break and gets it but Hokuto takes advantage, nailing Madusa with a closed fist. The ref shouts at her but she laughs him off.

Eric Bischoff: "What happens if there's a disqualification or a count-out, will the title stay vacant?"

Bobby Heenan: "There is no disqualification. There must be a winner."

Eric Bischoff: "So, really, that closed fist was legal? And Madusa didn't have to break the hold?"

Bobby Heenan: "I guess."

Madusa breaks out of a camel clutch, standing up with Hokuto on her back and then slamming her to the ground. The crowd roar they're approval, chanting "... USA! USA! ...", as the two women get back to their feet.

Dusty Rhodes: "Madusa's got the crowd on her side, tonight!"

Bobby Heenan: "As opposed to any other night, where I'm sure the humanoids would be more than willing to root for a foreigner. Give me a break."

Eric Bischoff: "Now, now, Brain. Bret Hart was treated to a warm welcome upon his debut."

Bobby Heenan: "That's a bit different, he's -"

Eric Bischoff: "- I don't think we wanna' go there."

Bobby Heenan: "To Canada?!"

Hokuto dodges a standing drop kick and immediately regains control. She tosses Madusa across the ring, by her hair. With Madusa on her back, by the ropes near the corner, Hokuto pounces, locking her opponent in stranglehold. Madusa has hold of the ropes but the ref can do nothing but count to four a few times. Hokuto mocks him. "One-two-three-four! Ha ha ha! One-two-three-four!" Pee Wee eventually just gives up. Madusa is only able to break free by pulling herself off the apron. She tumbles to the floor and scrambles over to the barricade, gasping for breath and clutching her throat.

Eric Bischoff: "I think Hokuto may take this one."

Hokuto gets onto the turnbuckle, one leg on the bottom rope, one leg on the second, and taunts the crowd as she waits for Madusa to get back in. Her opponent uses this opportunity, transitioning from crawling to a half-run/half-leap as she gets into the ring. Hokuto is caught by an explosive clothesline as she gets down from the turnbuckle. Madusa can't follow up with a pin attempt, however. She appears spent and Hokuto rises to her feet before she does.

Hokuto gets Madusa in a headlock. Though it's tight around the neck, she neglects to pull Madusa into a standing position. Hunched over, Madusa is able to fight out of it, with elbows to Hokuto's gut. A back-and-forth ensues, with both women trading an equal number of strikes and holds. Madusa seems to be being worn down far quicker, however.

They break into a round of whipping each other to the ropes. Hokuto throws Madusa into the ropes, she rebounds and transitions into an Irish Whip of her own, and vice versa. On her fifth time on the rebound, however, Madusa falters and falls, exhausted, to her knees in the centre of the ring. Hokuto capitalises, big time, and clatters her across the chest with a stiff kick. She gets a close two-count.

Bobby Heenan: "This it for Madusa! She's gonna' regret kicking out a few minutes from now."

Eric Bischoff: "She's showing a lot of guts, that's for sure."

Dusty Rhodes: "She's a fighter!"

Bobby Heenan: "She's an idiot."

Hokuto drags her across the ring, by her hair, and takes her to the ropes. There, she pulls her hair and begins taunting her in Japanese. This spurs the crowd into action. "U-S-A! U-S-A!" Madusa is crying from the pain, just a little, but she answers Hokuto with a head-butt. Hokuto's hair conceals the impact but commentators claim they can hear the thud from ringside. It knocks Hokuto loopy for a few crucial seconds. Madusa follows it up with loud palm strike to the face. Keeping up the assault, Madusa tries to kick at Hokuto's gut. Her leg is caught, the other leg is kicked away and she collapses to the canvas. Still in control of the right leg, Madusa transitions into a single-leg crab and wrenches back. Madusa screams in pain and holds the ropes for dear life.

Eric Bischoff: "Now, the ref can't break this, but I don't think he can accept a submission whilst they're in the ropes... is that right, Brain?"

Bobby Heenan: "I... no, I... I'm not sure it matters, it's no disqualification."

Eric Bischoff: "Well, he couldn't count a pin on the outside... so I don't think he could record a submission whilst Madusa's in the ropes."

Bobby Heenan: "In that case, would anyone submit but refuse to let go of the ropes? You're not really submitting, then, are you?"

Dusty Rhodes: "Who cares?! She's out of the ropes, now, baby!"

Madusa pulls herself through the ropes and into the second ring. She's holding the small of her back, desperately, shutting her eyes tight and baring her teeth. Hokuto spends some time in the first ring, pacing and cursing before following her out. She goes for a leg hold, of some kind, but Madusa kicks her away. When Madusa is back on her feet, the two women stare each other down again. Hokuto is breathing heavily but evenly, whereas Madusa is struggling for air. Hokuto is rolling her shoulders and nursing the beginnings of small bruise of her elbow, whereas Madusa is seething in pain and holding her back. They back away, to separate sides of the ring and get back into the first, slowly. Hokuto is the first in, naturally and she rushes over to her opponent. Once Madusa is through the ropes, she's caught in vertical suplex. Hokuto takes no chances with the cover; she pins Madusa with a knee on her chest and a handful of tights. One-two-no!

Wanting to end it, Hokuto heads up top. Madusa staggers to her feet, slowly and groggily and it looks like it's all over. In an act of miraculous desperation, however, Madusa rushes to the corner and smacks Hokuto upside the head. She follows it up with a superplex, crawls over for the pin and... it's all over. Ring the bell. She rolls away, out to the floor and slumps against the barricade, breathing hard and smiling through the pain. The title is presented to her by a crewman and she cradles it in her lap.

Sixth Match: Madusa pins Akira Hokuto in thirty four minutes and twenty seconds.

A video plays, advertising Halloween Havoc; it mainly exists to give the production crew some time to prepare, however, showing little of note. Battle Bowl IV is scheduled for the event, along with the Lethal Lottery.

Eric Bischoff: We take you now to Tony Schiavone, in the back with the first ever WCW women's heavyweight champion, Madusa."

Madusa is in the back, holding her title, she's still panting, drenched in sweat and water from a bottle she goes to every so often.

Tony Schiavone: "How does it feel to be WCW's first ever women's champion?"

Madusa: "It feels good... Tony... I'm... feeling good about my... accomplishment... I knew that... the competition... in WCW... was going... was... was going to be tough and I... I'm just thankful I got here... in time for the tournament and... yeah... I'm feeling good... it's an honour to..."

Tony Schiavone: "Hey, now, you can't -"

Aja Kong moves in front of the camera, shoves Tony away and gets up in Madusa's face. She rants in Japanese and starts becoming physical. Madusa is in no position to fight back but Malia Hosaka burst onto the scene to help. She knocks Kong out of the camera's line of sight. The camera is then roughly picked up to follow the action. Hosaka can't follow up her surprise attack with anything effective and is knocked to the ground by Kong. Tony legs it down the corridor as Kong goes back after Madusa. Rather than laying her ought, however, she simply grabs her and yells something at her before leaving. Madusa lets out a weary sigh but this, too, is cut short as another figure comes into view of the camera. Bull Nakano simply stares intently, prompting the champ to get up in her face.

Madusa: "You want this, huh? Well, get back in line!"

Eric Bischoff: "Live on TNT, tomorrow night. We've got the Fantastics challenging Harlem Heat for the tag team titles and Lex Luger versus the Patriot in the main event!"

Dusty Rhodes: "There ain't nothing else worth watching on a Monday, I tell you that!"

Eric Bischoff: "It's nearly time for our main event!"

A video plays, recapping the feud between Sting and Flair, which ends with footage of the War Games caging being lowered on occasions past. It fades to the live feed, of the War Games cage being lowered and fireworks going off. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom!

Flair's team come out first. Harlem Heat lead the procession, looking hard as nails. Sherri addresses the camera, saying something inaudible.

Bobby Heenan: "Sting sings for a rollover kite?"

Luger comes out after, focused and ready. Flair takes his time, however, sauntering up and down the entrance ramp, making sure everyone's had a good look at the title around his waist. Once they're done, Sting's team comes out. They enter as a unit, fired up, hollering at the crowd, slapping hands and backs and so on.

The Patriot is the first to enter, with Flair's team making the crowd wait. Eventually, after some mock deliberations, Flair himself wanders up to the cage door. He hangs off it, taunting Sting before he enters. "Woo." There's a devilish look in his eye. Despite that, the first period is tough for Flair. He's spends most of it began tossed around. He begs off a few times but Del doesn't fall for it.

Eric Bischoff: "With this performance, I'd say the Patriot should be challenging for the world title."

Bobby Heenan: "That's absurd!"

The Patriot manages hit a vertical suplex from one ring to the other, just as the five minute mark hits.

Nick Patrick tosses a coin, looks at and points to Sting's team. The crowd go mental.

Eric Bischoff:"Flair's in trouble!"

Dusty Rhodes: "This is gonna' be good!

Arn Anderson runs in and picks Flair up. They regard each other and Arn raises his fists, muttering curse words. Flair begs off, feigning back pain, and pleading with his old friend. The Patriot turns his back on the scene, posing for the crowd and soaking in the atmosphere as the crowd roars their approval. And then... smack! Anderson's clobbered Del with a forearm to the back. Sting and Pillman go apoplectic as the rest of Flair's team keel over laughing. Flair and Arn hurl Del into the cage wall a few times and stomp some mud-holes in him. He tries as best he can to fight back but they keep on top of him well enough. Any trouble they do have is ended by the arrival of Stevie Ray.

Dusty Rhodes: "It's three on one!"

Eric Bischoff: "This is gross."

Bobby Heenan: "This is great!"

Sting is trying to yell encouragement through the cage to his pal, but it's not doing much good. Pillman is hanging off the outside of the far wall, shouting and shaking. Flair and his men pay no heed, however. They get Del up for an assisted power bomb and Arn tosses him from one ring to the next. After that, they give him some time to recover, merely backslapping one another and taunting the crowd.

When the klaxon sounds, Pillman rushes in, fired up and ready to do some damage. He does some damage... to Del's leg. He stomps on it as he passes by and makes his way to the other ring where he's greeted with a hug from Arn and a smile from Flair. Sting starts to yell but gives up quickly. His head falls and he wanders to the far end of the cage, trying to talk to his teammate. Flair's team allow this to happen, letting the Patriot crawl over to the cage wall to hear what his captain has to say. They leave it to Booker T to drag him back to the centre. Only then do they get back to the task at hand. They each take turns battering his legs; Stevie stomps his left, Flair drops a knee on his right, Booker wrenches his left and Pillman drops an elbow on the right, held in place by Arn, from the second rope.

As the time draws near, Stevie Ray guards the door, waiting to stop Sting before he can even get going. He's nailed across the face almost immediately and the Stinger goes to town. He takes Booker down with clothesline and uses the cage roof to assist him in knocking Arn and Pillman down with dropkicks, in turn. Flair's begs off and gets a DDT for his troubles. Sting can't focus on any one person for long, and he knows this, so he rushes from man to man, getting kicks in where he can and generally just trying to keep them all down. He tries to bring Del to his feet a few times but never with any success as he has to keep rushing to someone or other to nail them with a kick or a stomp to keep them from getting up. And then... Luger enters.

Bobby Heenan: *cackles of glee* "It's all over!"

Pillman tries to jump Sting as his attention turns to the man slowly walking into the cage but Del trips him. The Stinger doesn't wait a second longer than he has to. Once both of Luger's feet are on the canvas, he rushes him and goes for another assisted dropkick. Luger catches his legs. It's all over. He hold them until Sting's upper body strength fails him and then let's him fall. It's all over. Luger's teammates, plus Arn and Pillman, all get to their feet soon enough. It's all over. They beat Sting down before splitting up; Luger, Booker and Stevie take Del, Flair, Arn and Pillman take Sting. They do as much damage as they need to to secure a submission. It's over. Ding-ding-ding. The Patriot can't bear the pain any longer.

Main Event: Ric Flair, Lex Luger, Stevie Ray and Booker T defeat Sting, the Patriot, Arn Anderson and Brian Pillman in twenty one minutes and twenty one seconds.

To close the show, Flair, Luger, Arn and Pillman celebrate at the top of the ramp. Sherri is in front of them, flanked by Harlem Heat. She's taunting the crowd when she freaks out. Her clients are both attacked from behind and go tumbling to the floor. She rushes to check on them and the broadcast ends on a shot of the four men left standing. They raise that immortal symbol; four fingers, four horsemen.