Pro Wrestling Only

FloSlam

Grimmas

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy Dreamer posted on his FB, in advance of HoH on FloSlam this past weekend, that he spent something like $65,000 from his own savings for this FloSlam broadcast because (direct quote from the post) "the deal w/ Flo Slam is life changing if it hits. Potential millions on the table." I just don't see it. I can't get my head around these numbers and how they expect to profit like this. Venture capitalist money is great, until it's time for the return on those investments. What type of subscriber base do you think is likely here? How many people bought individual Evolve iPPVs - 2,000? The WWE has such a huge piece of this market - and they themselves, with a gigantic unquantifiable leg up on FloSlam based on brand alone, have struggled to grow their base. And that's after three years of having the network.

Even if FloSlam's rumored relationship with ROH pans out, it seems difficult for them to get enough subscribers to make this thing work. It'd be one thing if they were just a clearinghouse for content that other people were already producing, but they're paying multiple people to curate and produce content, as well as footing some of the cost of recording and livestreaming these events in the first place (evidently not House of Hardcore, judging by Dreamer's comments). It sounds like it's just another market for FloSports and they can kill it if it doesn't succeed to their expectations.The story with WWE here is strange. The probability that a random indie wrestling fan already has a WWE Network subscription is extremely high, so even if they went for a $5 premium package for indie content they would be able to out-price anyone else. It sounds like they've been interested in this prospect for a while, mentioning it in a few surveys, yet from everything Meltzer has said the WWE was caught off-guard by WWN signing with FloSlam. You'd think that Gabe would've mentioned it to WWE, especially given that the contract locks him in for 5 years.

The "rumored" ROH relationship is also just made up by fans who don't know anything about this, isn't it?

The "rumored" ROH relationship is also just made up by fans who don't know anything about this, isn't it?

When they launched they had Final Battle listed on their site, and people who claimed that they knew about it happening ahead of time through the Twitter DM pipeline (e.g. the Voices of Wrestling crew, although I'm pretty sure there were others) also claimed that Ring of Honor was part of the prelaunch rumors and was going to be announced soon.

They also had a WWE PPV listed on the site in the same manner. FloSlam claimed it was for coverage - like they were going to be writing pieces/covering results from across wrestling.

Yeah, they also have a couple shows still listed in the "results" section but it looks like that was abandoned.

The wXw multi-year deal - details not yet disclosed on live airings or what not - is a good compliment to the WWN stuff. The fact that it was reported it was a multi-year deal is comforting considering all the other times they've announced partnerships, which really are just tryouts (like OTT).

Botter had been with FloSports for quite some time prior to FloSlam so I don't (and it's just speculation) think him being replaced changes anything with their direction.

It seems like Gabe and WWN were the only ones they were really willing to shell out money for. Tommy Dreamer, who is known for getting worked by promoters, dropped $65,000 of his own money to upgrade equipment so he could be on FloSlam while other promotions like Beyond & PWX put a show or two on FloSlam but didn't agree to anything long term. Beyond still has their own service and PWX is going to do a live iPPV with Highspots Network this weekend.

It seems like promotions are trying to leverage the best deal possible out of the groups trying to create an umbrella streaming service like Highspots Network and FloSlam, then you have Powerbomb.tv still floating around out there waiting to pop up, so no one seems to be running to FloSlam to create a long term deal at this point unless they're going to get big money thrown at them like Gabe did. And hell, good for them they're smart to take a wait and see approach to FloSlam because it always seemed like a very risky business venture to me with that price point and the limited amount of customers that even exist for such a service.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the archive on WXW going to be on both? Or perhaps its only on the go-forward for FloSlam.

How has FloSlam been doing with uploading the Evolve and other archives? I read something from our friend Brandon Howard that it was a complete unorganized mess. We're a couple months in now, that's disappointing if you're an early subscriber.

The Botter thing is puzzling, Guy's been with them seemingly forever and was doing all the PR work for them only to get ousted seemingly out of nowhere and replaced by someone doing some kind of weird Twitter gimmick. Unless he shit on someone's desk it makes zero sense.

That's been the biggest disappointment for me.

Yeah, that's what I think they are missing in the whole plan. I really don't care if I see a show live. I'm not going to have the results of EVOLVE 97 spoiled on the SportsCenter bottom line, so why would I care whether it's live or not? I think the kind of subscribers they are most likely to attract generally feel the same. It's about the on demand content. That's where the potential value is, especially considering the price tag.

I can understand being live being a draw to WWE where there are millions of fans with "second screen" experience being a thing but that's not what this service should be about trying to cultivate.

• 2 weeks later...

Style Battle was last night. I think the show had much more good than bad, but is mostly skippable, outside of a fantastic match between Fred Yehi and Anthony Henry, and a couple of solid performances from AR Fox. The show was hurt by being outdoors in 40 degree weather in Florida, and I think the placement and the length of Yehi/Henry also hurt the show, as it was so good and so long that nothing could really follow it. Fred Yehi is a guy who really impressed me, and I hope he starts to break out outside the WWN family in 2017. He's really good and should be working more places.

This newer version of FIP that they are showing tonight so far is beyond weird. Gabe promoted like it was ECW with no rules and no restrictions and basically everybody swearing a lot. And they are doing some guy of angle with Uncle Johnny throughout the entire show which apparently they only just introduced a couple hours ago online. They have a really good austin Theory vs Anthony Henry where apparently the purpose was to build an angle where it seems Henry's girlfriend will have to be pimped out in order to pay a gambling debt. You have an announcer who is acting like a 10 year old who just learn swear words for the first time.

It really feels like some huge troll job by Gabe because you would think someone who worked in ECW for so long wouldn't have had such a cartoonish version of "hardcore wrestling". Gabe even tweeted out #carwreckwrestling which this show definitely was. Is that a good thing I guess that depends on your taste

I think the idea with FIP is to straddle the fence between edgy and troll, that way the company can claim either is the intent if it fails on either end. The first hour of the show was a disaster that seriously undermined what ended up being a show full of fun - if not someone dated - wild wrestling. The big takeaway from me is that Fred Yehi can wrestle just about anyone in any style and have a good match, and that the ring announcer is super ineffective even as a troll

• 2 weeks later...

With word coming out that the WWE Network will be adding ICW as the first indie to share the platform, FloSlam today announced two "lucha" promotions - Lucha Forever and PWRevolution (who I've seen advertised on FITE).

Lucha Forever debuts in April, and their article notes Will Ospreay is "creatively involved in the promotion". Their banner also prominently displays Pete Dunne, who *may* have some buzz based on a recent UK tournament, and they casually mention within their own article that he's in some title match for them on JUNE 18th (June!). No mention on social media that Dunne is a part of this, which is a marketing miss imo.

With word coming out that the WWE Network will be adding ICW as the first indie to share the platform, FloSlam today announced two "lucha" promotions - Lucha Forever and PWRevolution (who I've seen advertised on FITE).

Lucha Forever debuts in April, and their article notes Will Ospreay is "creatively involved in the promotion". Their banner also prominently displays Pete Dunne, who *may* have some buzz based on a recent UK tournament, and they casually mention within their own article that he's in some title match for them on JUNE 18th (June!). No mention on social media that Dunne is a part of this, which is a marketing miss imo.

I can tell you as someone who has done lucha reviews and compared it to other reviews, most online fans and general fans do not care about lucha.