Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-04-02-WWE-Wrestlemania XXXIII] Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar

ShittyLittleBoots

Best sub-5 minute match ever? Yep! This was absolutely tremendous. Easily the best match of the night - loved the beginning with Brock getting too hyped up about getting some of those glorious suplexes in, which lead to Goldberg inducting him to SPEAR CITY. Freaking awesome stuff. The whole ending sequence with Brock doing a goddamn LEAPFROG & then going full beast mode was so gooood. Amazing match. ****1/2

I thought this match was good. It was what it needed to be, for sure. It was - for me - the highlight of the second half of the show for sure. I guess I had hoped for more violence given that I was not a fan of the build, but maybe i will feel better about it on rewatch (I was pretty tired by this point yesterday).

Edit: Just rewatched it and it was a little more satisfying. It was intense and got a lot into very little time. I'd probably give it ****1/4

The camera cut to Goldberg delivering the first spear on an unsuspecting Lesnar was one of the best angles the WWE has ever produced. Sure, they knew the big spots here (they were all big spots), and they made sure the production matched also. I struggle with rating shorter matches, but this easily hits **** for me and was a match I re-watched the next morning, which in itself is rare and speaks to how good this was.

I was there live and haven't rewatched on TV yet but man I loved this one. I was against this rematch from day one but they made me believe.

I honestly thought the key to the match was how quickly they got back in gear after the spear through the barricade. Many times they may have rested there or had the medical staff come out and check both guys to kill time. They got their asses right back up and kept throwing bombs. The pace was so key to make this great and they more than made up for the disgrace in MSG.

This was amazing, perfect and everything it needed to be. Just like the rest of their feud, every time they've interacted, you literally could not have asked for or dreamed up anything better. This was the best possible Goldberg vs Lesnar feud, and somehow it happened in 2016/17.

Brock hitting the suplexes and gloating and turning into the SPEAR FROM ABSOLUTE HELL...that camera angle was fucking perfection. Has there ever been a single move shot as well as that? I can't remember one off hand.

MOTN easily, well this and the ladder match which was also fun. Everything else either sucked or got bogged down or had some booking or structural issues. There was nothing wrong with this, it was the best Goldberg vs Lesnar it could possibly be.

I rewatched this and it held up quite well (I loved the Survivor Series match, but on a rewatch the lack of *content* to latch on really prevents me from labellin it as something that's more than just good and unique). However I must vehemently disagree that this is the best sub 5 minute match of all time or even a contender. That'd be a cool project to organize (and I'm willing to run in case Loss doesn't heat the PWO machine will overheat from doing that and the 2k stuff at the same time).

The match reminds me of the Ibushi-Perkins match from the CWC. It's the type of match that rules in the moment but is also not self sustainable in the long run. I think WWE has historically done a good job of not falling into that trap, although that's been changing in the last few years, whether it's Triple H's rise in power, the influx of indy guys, Cena watching PWG tapes, when the end result is basically 2009 Tyler Black matches happening as WWE main events something's broken. Now....obviously a pop-up after being hit with several suplexes is ridiculous. But did it ever work here. They constructed the perfect match in terms of their capabilities at this point. Every spot was memorable, every transition logical and complementing what they'd established in their previous matches (like Lesnar rolling out of the ring since defeat was imminent after being hit with the second spear). Lesnar's leapfrog was a stark reminder he was never so revered just for his strength but also his overall athleticism, it'd be nice if we got to see that side of him more often since that's usually when the matches are better too. A nice spectacle, but it doesn't hold a candle to something like Ikeda vs Ono for >5 minute matches. ***1/2

• 3 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2017-04-02-WWE-Wrestlemania XXXIII] Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar
  • 7 months later...

Still holds up as one of the greatest Mania matches ever. It's just about PERFECT for what they went for; a motherfuckin' heavyweight bombfest sprint & a half. Great storytelling throughout too, with callbacks & I LOVE the moment in the beginning when Brock gets some over Goldberg, but gets a bit too excited about it, which then lead to Goldberg busting out SPEARS. 4:45 full of wonderful stuff. Every second of it counts & is amazing, pretty much. ****1/2

• 7 months later...

Being just shy of 5 minutes, this is pro wrestling comfort food that I can come back time and time again. Lesnar eats a spear early and gets hit with bombs until he counters a spear with a LEAPFROG that sends Goldberg violently headfirst into the corner. Every single move is a signature move and the crowd love every second. Who would of thought Lesnar would work so well as a babyface?

★★★★¼