Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 13. So DR Ackerman's on. WingedEagle's back. Tim Evans is back. Sir edgar is out for this week. The mighty shodate is back.

rah

Tim Evans

WingedEagle

Jmare007

HeadCheese

dawho5

jetlag

joeg

oldbirds

Richeyedwards

shodate

Nintendo Logic

Matt D

DR Ackerman

laz

laz, you're the odd man out this week. Someone might want to double up and if not, I'm happy to do so. Mr. Ackerman, I'll have something for you ASAP. Everyone else, remember, if you can't manage something this week, let us know ASAP. If you're just going to be a bit slow, make sure to give your partner something even if you can't watch a match in time.

Ok, Matt D. I'm giving you Genichiro Tenryu vs Isao Takagi from 1990. This was at the beginning of the year just a couple months before Tenryu would leave AJPW to start SWS. He was rivaling Jumbo for the number one spot at this point whereas Takagi was only in his third year and a huge underdog going into the match. Prior to this there were issues between the two in tags with throughout the month and Takagi actually attacked Tenryu with a chair before one of his matches.

Masanobu Fuchi/Naoki Sano vs. Johnny Smith/The Tornado

A very different match from the typical All Japan style, indeed. It's from 97, but it wouldn't look out of place in 85.

We get a nice exchange of chain wrestling between Fuchi and Smith at the beginning, reminding me of shoot style. Sano did some lovely armbar sequences, and something unique and clever: an irish-whip into an armlock (sort of). We get some kicks going, and from there the build to the finish, with some mean backdrops from Sano after a nice failed powerbomb attempt spot.

This was probably an opener/mid card in the show but very much worth the watch, specially me not being familiar with most of the guys here. Good stuff.

For shodate:

meh i just do not get lawler's popularity

As language is something you are apparently working on, let me ask a series of clarifying questions:

1. Do you really not understand what people value in Jerry Lawler?

2. If you do understand, do you not think that Lawler possesses those qualities?

3. If you do understand and think he does possess those qualities, do you not understand why someone might value those qualities in wrestling in general?

4. If you do understand what people value, think that he does possess those values, and understand why someone might value those qualities in general, do you just disagree, with full understanding, that those values are worthwhile?

It's pretty clear to me what you value and while I don't necessarily agree with you, it's not hard to make the small effort to understand why you value what you value. Is that a one way street? Point being, it's hard to have a discussion with someone when it's a one-sided discussion, even if that person is an absolute expert in his side. Lawler's excellent at playing upon people's sympathies (both as a face and a heel). It's hard to have a discussion with someone who can't or won't sympathize with the person talking to him.

For shodate:

meh i just do not get lawler's popularity

As language is something you are working on, let me ask a series of clarifying questions:

1. Do you really not understand what people value in Jerry Lawler?

2. If you do understand, do you not think that Lawler possesses those qualities?

3. If you do understand and think he does possess those qualities, do you not understand why someone might value those qualities in wrestling in general?

4. If you do understand what people value, think that he does possess those values, and understand why someone might value those qualities in general, do you just disagree, with full understanding, that those values are worthwhile?

It's pretty clear to me what you value and while I don't necessarily agree with you, it's not hard to make the small effort to understand why you value what you value. Is that a one way street? Point being, it's hard to have a discussion with someone when it's a one-sided discussion, even if that person is an absolute expert in his side. Lawler's excellent at playing upon people's sympathies (both as a face and a heel). It's hard to have a discussion with someone who can't or won't sympathize with the person talking to him.

I have listened to all the GWE Casts and Listened to all that i tried to evaluate again him to see what others see in him if i can for myself see what they see in him just based on how I rate people praise his strikes i can see that but overall its not the top 20 strikers based i what i have seen aja's back fist or Kansai's or hotta's kick look like they all have a better looking Impact than Lawler's also im noy huge fan of Memphis wrestling as a whole

based iv seen of the terrories i like Mid south Chicago[kohler] and JCP

i do try and take other people views on board

minus the realism point i just judge based on pure mechanics of a match hence why i can watch matches with no sound and enjoy them things matches like Hogan vs the rock is highley overrated

external factors do not matter as much to me

i do see your side and there side but it has not changed my view

are you the dude form the Parejas Podcast

friendly side note i listed to all the gwe casts before even doing one post here fiding the pwo Soundcloud made me join here

So shodate is the refined workrate mark that most of us were during Scott Keith's heyday. That's actually very good to know.

At least he's not demanding we talk about a wrestler's prime being 28-32.

for me a prime is 24-34 but i will never force anyone to think like me

iv always thought this way

im more an executionophile and techniqueophie

since to me work rate is just amount of moves

fyi i hate the superkick a move since it has bad technique behind it HBK's being the worst

So shodate is the refined workrate mark that most of us were during Scott Keith's heyday. That's actually very good to know.

At least he's not demanding we talk about a wrestler's prime being 28-32.

fyi i hate the superkick a move since it has bad technique behind it HBK's being the worst

I only have a minute to reply right now. Yes, Stacey and I did that podcast for GWE, which was a blast.

The match that DR Ackermann gave me this week was Tenryu vs Takagi from 1/28/90.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/37083-genichiro-tenryu-vs-isao-takagi-ajpw-128/&do=findComment&comment=5838248

I wish everyone did the jumping brain kicks instead of the endless superkicks now. I think we've fallen into a worst possible reality in that regard.

This was an awesome six minute match and I kind of resent people for not making me watch it years ago. People should check it out. Grumpy Tenryu is great.

Also glad that he liked the match I gave him this week. Lawler aside, it looks like it's been a good week for match trades. Thanks, guys.

Winged Eagle, to celebrate D-Bry's return

Thanks, I'd actually bookmarked this when it was posted but haven't gotten there yet. Here's one of my favorite tags and crowds -- its not quite Kobashi & Kikuchi vs. Can-Ams from '92, but I think the entire scene draws you in in similar fashion. Also one of my favorite Liger performances.

Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Jushin Liger & Wataru Inoue from NOAH 2/17/2002.

I didn't have much expectation of shodate liking Lawler/Snowman. I picked it for him because he always talks about how important realism is to him and that match has been praised in some circles as incredibly realistic and even UWFi-esque (which I actually don't agree with, but that's neither here nor there). I was kind of hoping for more than a single sentence worth of thoughts.