Pro Wrestling Only

Portland Wrestling July 1986

awesomemiz

Portland Wrestling – Episode #1

July 7th 1986 – Portland Armoury (1,000)

- The show opens with the Portland Wrestling intro.

- We go live inside Portland Armory and see Don Owen stood at the commentary desk he welcomes us to the show and introduces us to Terry Garvin as fellow commentator. We go to the ring for the opening contest.

The Spoiler (W/Classie Freddie Blassie) vs Chuck Coates.

There is a bit of stalling in the early going. Chuck Coates tries to get the crowd behind him. They finally lock up, with The Spoiler tossing Chuck to the mat. Chuck looks at the crowd in shock. The Spoiler shoves Chuck down again. Chuck tries a shoulder tackle, but bounces off the formidable opponent. Chuck hits a series of clotheslines, but Spoiler nails him with a clothesline of his own. Spoiler hits a scoop slam and chokes Chuck and tosses him into the turnbuckles. Running splash to the corner by Spoiler, Spoiler hooks Chuck in the Iron Claw for the win.

Winner: The Spoiler (3.55)

-      Following the match Blassie and the Spoiler join Don and Terry at the desk

-       

Don – Folks we have been joined by Classie Freddie Blassie and his charge The Spoiler. Mr Blassie what are your intentions here in Portland?

Blassie – Well Don we are here to take the Pacific Northwest title and all the money that comes with it.

- Blassie and Spoiler walk off.

Don – please stay tuned fans we will be right back after these messages from our sponsors.

- Messages from our sponsors -

-Back from break and we go straight to the ring and see Ron Powers and Red Tyler in the ring awaiting Sawyers.

Brett & Bart Sawyer vs. Ron Powers & Red Tyler

Brett destroys Tyler with a vicious clothesline. Bart tags in and continues to beat on Tyler with punches and kicks in the corner. Brett tags in a takes out both Tyler and Powers with a double clothesline, picking them up and knocking their heads together. Tyler rolls to the floor as Bart tags in, Bart nails Powers with a running powerslam followed by a cover and a 3 count.

Winners: Brett & Bart Sawyer. (2.56)

-      We go back to Don and Terry who inform us that on August 3rd live at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum Portland Wrestling will present Summer Gold. Part of Summer Gold will be the Big 20 Man Gauntlet for the Gold and that promotions from all over the world are sending talent to be a part of it in the hopes of becoming Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Champion. One of those men is representing International Wrestling from Canada Rick Martel.

-      We then go to pre recorded comments from Rick Martel, where he promises to take the Pacific Northwest Title back to Canada and dedicates his win to all his fans.

-      We then see a vignette on Ranger Ross where we see him military training saying hes coming to Portland soon.

-      Messages from sponsors –

-      Don announces that next weekly Superstar Billy Graham will be here next week. We then see Wayne Bloom and Johnny Ace in the ring awaiting there opponents.

The Samoas(w/the Big Kahuna Oliver Humperdink) vs Wayne Bloom and Johnny Ace

The Samoas charge the ring and attack both men throwing Bloom to the floor. Coco goes to the floor and whacks Bloom with the chair, unofficially making this a handicap match, as Bloom spends the entire match crawling around in pain. Ace does his best to fend off both opponents, but the odds are too much for Ace. Coco and Tama systematically take Ace apart, Coco hits Ace with a samoan drop as Tama launches of the top with a big splash for the win.

Winners – The Samoas (6.25)

-      The Samoas and Johnny V join Don and Terry at the desk. Johnny V issues a warning to all the tag teams that the Samoas will destroy anyone who steps in their way on the road to tag team dominance.

-      Don informs us that starting next week we will see the start of a 4 team tournament that will culminate on August 3rd and will crown the new Pacific Northwest Tag Team Champions.

-      Messages from our Sponsors -

-      We then go to the ring and see Mike Graham in the ring awaiting Tiger Chung Lee.

Mike Graham vs Tiger Chung Lee

Tiger Chung Lee jumps Mike before the bell. Mike finally gets to his feet and they both take stance. Lee snaps off a shot to the throat and puts the boots to mike. Lee toys with mike with chops and kicks in the corner. Lee irish whips Mike into the ropes ducking his head read for a backdrop but Mike sunset flips over Lee rolls him up for the surprise win. Mike quickly rolls out of the ring and celebrates with the crowd.

Winner: Mike Graham (4.25)

-      Don and Terry comment on the match and tell us that next week we will see the debut of Superstar Billy Graham as he takes on Sika and then sign off until next week.

The Spoiler with Freddie Blassie seems like a solid pairing.  I like the Sawyers in Portland, good place for them to succeed.  I noticed you got your managers mixed up for the Samoas, started with Humperdink (best choice I think) and finished with Johnny V.  Mike Graham vs. Tiger Chung Lee is very much a good TV main event.  You could do a lot worse than Mike Graham as one of your big name babyfaces.  Ending with the teaser for Graham was the right way to end the show.

Solid first effort that puts some of the pieces in place for the fans and gives you a base to build upwards from.

Portland Wrestling is off to a great start. It's good to see a lot of wrestlers who have been on the sidelines get a chance to shine here. Strong showing of the Spoiler. Pairing him with Blassie is brilliant. Solid tag team debuts of the Sawyers and Samoans. I always liked vignettes so I enjoyed the one here with Ranger Ross. Vignettes are such a great way to introduce a wrestler coming in. Smart move having Martel comment on the upcoming Gauntlet. It really shows the importance of your top title. Great way to end the show with Graham surprising Chung Lee. Ends the first show with a pop. 

Great debut! I'm excited to see the Spoiler in action here, he's someone you can really build around especially paired with Blassie!  The Sawyers are a great tag team that are a good fit for Portland.  The Samaoans should do well with the Big Kahuna Oliver Humperdink, I always enjoyed that persona for him. 

Portland Wrestling – Episode 2

July 14th 1986 – Portland Armory (1,000)

- Portland Wrestling Show opening.

- We go live and see Don Owen and Terry Garvin who welcome us and run down tonights show featuring Heavenly Bodies, Bugsy McGraw and in the feature match Superstar Billy Graham taking on the Wild Samoan Sika.

Heavenly Bodies (w/Luscious Johnny V) vs Chuck Coates/Alex Rizzo

- Typical Bodies squash.

Winners – Heavenly Bodies (2.35)

- Post match interview, Johnny V says that he found out moments ago that my Heavenly Bodies will take on the Sawyers next week in the Semi Finals of the Pacific Northwest Tag Title tournament. Johnny says that they will not only beat the Sawyers but they will beat whoever is the in the final at Summer Gold.

- Commercial Break –

- We come back from break and see a promo video from Ranger Ross who says he’s putting the final touches to his training ahead of his Portland Wrestling debut next week.

- Don then informs us that due to the over whelming response from wrestlers and territories around the world the 20 man Gauntlet for the Gold match for the Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Title will now be a 30 man Gauntlet for the Gold.

Bugsy McGraw vs Cody Michaels

- Basic Bugsy squash the crowd loves Bugsy.

Winner: Bugsy McGraw (3.59)

- Commercial Break -

- We come from back from break and Don interviews Big Kahuna Oliver Humperdink. Who says tonight his Wild Samoan Sika will take out Billy Graham on his path of destruction that will lead all the way to the title at Summer Gold.

- We then see a pre tape promo from NWA Mid-Atlantic’s Rip Oliver who says he’s coming to Summer Gold to take the Pacific Northwest Heavyweight and bring it back to Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling.

- Don Owen then interviews Superstar Billy Graham who declares that he will beat Sika in a few moments then at Summer Gold he will become Pacific Northwest Champion.

Superstar Billy Graham vs Wild Samoan Sika (w/Big Kahuna Oliver Humperdink)

- Power man match back and forth that ends in a DQ when the Samoa’s charge the ring and help Sika beat down on Billy Graham.

Winner – Superstar Billy Graham (10.35)

- Post match sees all 3 men just beat the daylights out of Graham until the Sawyers make the save just as we go off the air.

No problem, we're getting the gist of what you're doing so that's what matters. Like I said earlier before, it takes some time to find our groove at first and to be comfortable with the writing style as well. Things are looking good for the Gauntlet for Gold. Keep up the good work!

6 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

No problem, we're getting the gist of what you're doing so that's what matters. Like I said earlier before, it takes some time to find our groove at first and to be comfortable with the writing style as well. Things are looking good for the Gauntlet for Gold. Keep up the good work!

thanks

I will be the first one to tell you that TV squashes are the way to go.  Keeps everybody heating up even with house show losses.  The Bodies vs. the Sawyers seems like it could be a good midcard feud if you wanted to go that direction.  Ranger Ross getting his own vignettes signifies he's going to mean something within the territory.  Glad to see you're getting the wrestlers you need to run your big shows.  Rip Oliver in Portland warms my heart.  He was such a fixture there.  Graham advances, but at what cost?  And will the Samoans leave his next match be?  I for one doubt it.

I agree with the squash matches. It's a great way to keep all your talent strong on TV. I've enjoyed the Ranger Ross vignettes, they did a great job in hyping him up. Love seeing the Heavenly Bodies debut. Prichard works very well with charismatic managers ;) Cool seeing a potential Superstar/Sika feud. Portland can be a great place for these guys to really shine. Really looking forward to the Gauntlet Match. I'll be cheering Rip Oliver on LOL. You're doing a great job with the Summer Gold build.  

No idea. It's a really old iPad (getting replaced soon, most likely). It has all kinds of little quirks. Maybe it doesn't have comic sans installed? I agree that it's odd.

Looks like Miz has kindly changed to font now, anyway. It looks great. I can read it on my iPad or on my PC no problem!

I love seeing the Heavenly Bodies with Johnny V, this should make for some fun promos and interesting action.

Bugsy McGraw is a great fit here as well.

I think "Superstar" Billy Graham can really give some value to Portland and allow you to build of his history and reputation. 

Speaking of Graham, great main event against Sika!