Pro Wrestling Only

Mae Young Classic 2018 thread

donsem43

So Kaitlyn was the first woman to be officially announced as an entrant of the second Mae Young Classic. Taping are going to be held on August 8th and 9th at Full Sail.

It's already been reported that Meiko Satomura will be participating. I'd also expect that both Io Shirai and Deonna Purrazzo will be a part of this as they are both expected to report to the Performance Center on July 16th. I would also expect that pretty much any of the women that are under contract, but not at least semi-regulars on TV, to be in this as well. Should be the TV debuts for Tegan Nox (aka Nixon Newell) and Kacy Catanzaro (from American Ninja Warrior.)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, donsem43 said:

Should be the TV debuts for Tegan Nox (aka Nixon Newell) and Kacy Catanzaro (from American Ninja Warrior.)

Tegan got injured on one of the NXT Download Festival shows and hasn't wrestled since.  She was supposed to take on Jinny at a Progress event on 6/10 but they had Dakota substitute for her instead.  No idea how serious the injury is or how long she'll be out for, but it'll be a shame for her if she misses this considering she'd only been back for around two months after being out a year due to a previous injury.

Really looking forward to seeing Kacy considering the reports and praise she gets on Twitter from those who've seen her at live events.

Yeah, people on Twitter are raving about Kacy a lot, saying she pretty much went from zero to Actually Pretty Good in like 6 months or so.

I am HYPED for Kaitlyn, though. She actually had some pretty nice matches in NXT back in like 2013, and to see her again in this really stacked women's division would be so good. Rooting for her.

I believe Tegan is suppose to be at the next NXT UK tapings to. They probably just decided to sit her for a bit as a precaution. I'm also guessing that Io isn't going to have a name change since they announced her as Io Shirai.

It looks like Renee Young's Twitter account may have spilled a bunch of names after her account started following a bunch of non-contracted women.

Two women who aren't listed in that article that are most likely locks are Taynara Conti and Xia Lee. Wouldn't be surprised if Jessamyn Duke or Shadia Bseiso made their debuts here too.

Casey Michael from Squared Circle Sirens also noted the WWE was interested in Hiroyo Matsumoto.

Just now, donsem43 said:

I believe Tegan is suppose to be at the next NXT UK tapings to. They probably just decided to sit her for a bit as a precaution. I'm also guessing that Io isn't going to have a name change since they announced her as Io Shirai.

It looks like Renee Young's Twitter account may have spilled a bunch of names after her account started following a bunch of non-contracted women.

Two women who aren't listed in that article that are most likely locks are Taynara Conti and Xia Lee. Wouldn't be surprised if Jessamyn Duke or Shadia Bseiso made their debuts here too.

Casey Michael from Squared Circle Sirens also noted the WWE was interested in Hiroyo Matsumoto.

Good shout on Conti, she won a qualifying match at the Full Sail tapings last night and is now official.  I hadn't thought about Jessamyn but it would be cool to see her in there and you're probably right about Xia, especially as she seems to have been appearing more than usual on the house shows recently.

I don't follow him but regularly check out Casey's twitter feed as he tends to be on the button more than anyone else when it comes to stuff like this.

Four more names were announced yesterday. Both Mercedes Martinez and Mia Yim are returning this year. Martinez fit her role very well last year. Yim's two match were both really good and she's probably the most consistent woman on the indies. Kavita Devi is also back after an impressive debut last year. It will be interesting to see how she has developed since she has hardly worked any house shows since she signed. Killer Kelly from Portugal is the one newcomer from this group. She's been a regular in wXw for the last while and worked the last NXT UK taping. I've only seen her wXw women's title against Toni Storm and while she looked a bit rough she did look like she had some potential.

Also, add Sienna and Britt Baker to the rumored list. Sienna announced that she has left Impact. Baker popped up as another new follow on Renee Young's Twitter account.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:50 AM, SirEdger said:

I'd be shocked if Madison Rayne is in the tournament, given she's working for Impact Wrestling but who knows.

But seeing Vanessa Kraven's name in this leak makes me smile. I hope she goes on a tear if she's in the tournament.

Madison had an NXT tryout in October so it shouldn't be a shock. Rayne is very well liked in Wrestling circles and professional. Even putting her marriage to Josh Matthews aside. She can come and go from IMPACT as she pleases - she did last year. She'll likely put over a NXT home ground in the first round. Madison is the master of *1/2-** Xplosion match.

Yeah, Kraven should have been in last year's MYC in my opinion. Would have been a better pick than Sage Beckett.

7 hours ago, donsem43 said:

Four more names announced today. Zeuxis, Isla Dawn, Lacey Lane, and Karen Q.

So happy to see Karen Q get the opportunity. For someone that I don't think has been in the business too long she's already pretty polished and ROH really dropped the ball by not featuring her more. For those that haven't seen it, check out her No DQ match she had with Deonna Purazzo in Women of Honor:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVw3apuZjE 

Was very early on Karen. A lot of people who play close attention thought she would be signed straight out of training school two years ago or so as WWE were on a strong Chinese recruitment kick at the time. On Twitter, I said she's a mix between a Little Miss Bossy Boots x Chris Candido. Technically sound and inherently funny in her body language.

Saying that her trainer Damien Adams is preparing like Karen will get signed and is regrouping after his other trainee Deonna Purrazzo got signed by taking on more female students.

Zeuxis should have been in the first MYC.

Isla Dawn remains very sloppy and Lacey Lane is very athletic with a unique look but extremely green. 

Cubs fan wrote up a nice little intro to Zeuxis here. She has always been someone I've should check out but never got around to. Same thing with Karen Q.

Meanwhile, WWE took care of the obvious today by announcing Toni Storm is participating.  People have dumped on Toni because of her World of Stardom reign but I feel she's had a great year. She was great in both of her short runs in Stardom and her wXw stuff has been really good as well.

20 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

So happy to see Karen Q get the opportunity. For someone that I don't think has been in the business too long she's already pretty polished and ROH really dropped the ball by not featuring her more. For those that haven't seen it, check out her No DQ match she had with Deonna Purazzo in Women of Honor:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVw3apuZjE 

I did see that match a while back. Probably my favorite WOH match so far. Karen Q is probably the sleeper of that tournament so far. I'm looking forward to see how far she'll go in the tournament.

14 hours ago, donsem43 said:

Cubs fan wrote up a nice little intro to Zeuxis here. She has always been someone I've should check out but never got around to. Same thing with Karen Q.

Meanwhile, WWE took care of the obvious today by announcing Toni Storm is participating.  People have dumped on Toni because of her World of Stardom reign but I feel she's had a great year. She was great in both of her short runs in Stardom and her wXw stuff has been really good as well.

I don't get why Toni got dumped on, it wasn't her fault the company decided to make her the champ in what was essentially a shoot situation knowing she had limited dates with them.