Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-07-14-NJPW-G1 Climax 28] EVIL vs Michael Elgin

MoeTWrestling

EVIL was pretty good with his facials and both guys' offense looked hard without being stiff, something that I apreciate a lot. It was kinda weird watching EVIL as the guy working on top against someone like Elgin. Yeah, the arm stuff was good enough , but I wish it were a heavier handicap to Elgin than it was. EVIL needs to stop doing the 'hey ref hold my opponent's leg for like five fucking hours while I do a superkick', that's a Scurllesque spot that always kills the match flow. Solid, decent match, but it could've been a lot better. **3/4.

A great big boy style battle between both men, and might I even say was the match of the night. Both guys have had matches in previous G1s, but this was on another level of chemistry I didn't know both guys had. Lots of big moves and great sequences to make this hard hitting and fast paced. Would love to see these guys tussle again for the NEVER title, ****1/4.

This very much just felt like a match that happened. Not bad mind you and the finish was really cool, but just felt very typical for both guys. Hard-hitting and chair spots from EVIL, you know what to expect. There was also some decent arm work that was sort of just forgotten.

Again, not bad. Just not really essential. **3/4.

The first time I watched this it did absolutely nothing for me. Was surprised when I saw people raving about it. When I watched it the second time, it did a little more for me, the finishing stretch was pretty good, but the bulk of the match was still pretty lifeless. Elgin has been a guy that I've really liked at different points in his career, but right now he just isn't clicking with me much at all.

Started off very nice w/ Elgin overwhelming EVIL, good shine for the man. Eventually EVIL got the control by going after Elgin's arm; I really liked EVIL's control segment after that. As soon as it was time for Elgin to make a comeback, he didn't sell the arm at all. Was hitting lariats & all just fine. Thankfully when EVIL got the control back to his name, he still went after the arm - his work over it was pretty brutal & a true joy to watch. Helluva performance from him, and Elgin was very good too outside of the no-selling. Good match, but had potential to be even better. ***1/4

Somehow pleasantly surprised to see the range of opinions on this one.  I'm likely somewhere in the middle as there was no compelling hook or storyline/selling to kick it into that next gear, but they worked a strong, compact match with an excellent finishing stretch.  Very solid outing from these two.

***1/2

They were on their way to having a really good match until EVIL went for the Banshee Muzzle after the Seated Senton in the corner. That should have been treated like a big nearfall, instead they rushed into it and blew the spot off. From there it was like both guys remembered who was supposed to win the match, un-did all their hard work and let Elgin got all his stuff in right at the death. I thought they were onto something with that arm-wrench into the guard-rail, but the match fizzled then and there.

• Loss changed the title to [2018-07-14-NJPW-G1 Climax 28] EVIL vs Michael Elgin