Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

9 hours ago, El-P said:

Not going into much details, as it would be redondant with what has already been said. Terrific show. Better than Homecoming. A nice build with a fun and varied undercard, with the multi-man spotfest (but nothing as crazy as what would follow), the Scarlett Bordeaux match which was a cool little bit as always (BTW, is Fallah getting in better shape ?), the six-men which has an excellent dynamic (gotta love Moose, although I agree the spear doesn't need that flip at the end, The North are gonna be really cool to watch, the Razcals you can do so much with them), a solid, rugged women's title match (glad Taya won too, it solidifies her as a heel champ).

Then the last half of the PPV had really four excellent (well, would have been if not for Cage's injury) matches, which all felt important. That's the thing when you only have a PPV every three months or so and you actually put some thoughts and work into the builds, when the final clash happen they feel like important matches that you will remember. Swann vs Callihan was one hell of a brawl. I guess it's not the consensus opinion, but to me Callihan is an MVP everywhere he went thus far (LU, MLW, iMPACT). He makes the feuds seem important and intense, the big matches are always memorable, he's distinctive, he's a full fledge dirty heel and he's one hell of a worker too. And Swann has improved a lot too, and this feud and match really took his game to another level. Someone mentioned how he looked dead serious during the introduction. Yeah, attention to detail.

Loved Tessa vs Gail. Tessa is so, so good. She also looks so, so much like Tully, it was obvious when they were together. I have this match above the Mania main event easily, on every level. Gail was probably thinking these were the last bumps she would ever took, so might as well go for broke. Terrific match. The post-match actually made sense to me, they really built the match as an agressive passing of torch of sorts, and it didn't come off like a "curtain wall" at all. This is the kind of stuff you'd see in joshi puroresu regularly, so yeah, more of a sport's like, enemy from different generation finally respecting each others after a war, with an antagonist kohai/senpai relationship. Anyway, great stuff.

Just like in LU, Johnny is about a hundred times better as a heel. The match would probably have been excellent, judging by what they tried to do, but it's obvious Cage was in real pain and couldn't do much after the injury. Interesting to look at the way they communicated and tried to win time, and work around it. Elgin showing up was as dull as it sounded though, the guy has zero presence or charisma. I wonder what they'll be able to do with him, but yeah, not enthralled at all by this guy signing.

Main event was batshit crazy. Fenix falling straight on his head on that insane spanish fly (most dangerous spot of the night) was scary. iMPACT will really miss the Lucha Bros, as they apparently will soon be working only for AEW and AAA. Over this last year, LAX have been the MVP's of the promotion I guess, with the two most memorable feuds and matches. No idea how long they'll be able to work that style though.

Is that the most spectacular company rehab ever, from a quality standpoint ? Speaks a lot for D'Amore, who was responsible for the best stint of early TNA in the 00's too. Yeah, great job. They deserve a ton of credit. The title of this thread was done in jest, but really, as a weekly TV show with a few PPV a year, iMPACT actually is the best american promotion today, as been for a good year I guess.

Great review.

Absolutely agreed on Callihan, so you're not alone at all in that thinking. The guy's been so strong in terms of angles and getting over his rivalries. Every feud feels real, raw, and visceral. The shit with Eddie got people talking. The stuff with Penta was simply awesome. And now this deal with Rich has shown the Edwards incident wasn't a freak accident or a happy fluke. Sami can totally help MAKE someone by way of these feuds.

I like your take on the Tessa/Gail scenario. It's what I was attempting to say, but you worded it way better & summarized things perfectly. There's a reason I didn't roll my eyes at this or come away feeling like it undid the program I had just finished watching come to a close.

I also believe you nailed the problem I had with the Elgin appearance. I mean, the Josh commentary about Twitter and shit certainly didn't help. But you're right. The guy strolled out there with all the enthusiasm of a lamp & looked like he had just rolled out of bed and thrown on some gym shorts. Impact gets A LOT of the little things right these days, but this presentation could've used a tune-up or some finer attention to detail.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to see Callihan get some love !

3 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

I also believe you nailed the problem I had with the Elgin appearance. I mean, the Josh commentary about Twitter and shit certainly didn't help. But you're right. The guy strolled out there with all the enthusiasm of a lamp & looked like he had just rolled out of bed and thrown on some gym shorts. Impact gets A LOT of the little things right these days, but this presentation could've used a tune-up or some finer attention to detail.

The one thing also that bothered me is this. Elgin's whole thing is that he's BIG Mike. He's a super powerful muscular guy who also does cool athletic spots. Problem is, when he showed up and stood before Brian Cage, he looked like MEDIUM Mike, at best. And it also happens that Cage, as freakingly roided up as he looks, also can do much more impressive athletic spots than Elgin. So there, Elgin basically comes off like a smaller, uncharismatic, lesser on every level version of Cage.

I hope they do go toward babyface Tessa vs heel Taya at Slammiversary and that they beat the shit out of each others. Could steal the show.

9 hours ago, El-P said:

I hope they do go toward babyface Tessa vs heel Taya at Slammiversary and that they beat the shit out of each others. Could steal the show.

I wonder if they need to save that one for BFG? Have Taya win another feud to solidify her and also have Tessa have a match that cements her babyface status?

Agreed with all of the last several posts. One of the things I've loved about Callihan in Impact is the logical progression from feud to feud, from Eddie to Pentagon to Swann, it's all felt really organic and smart. I think Eddie Edwards has worked similarly going from the Callihan feud into the Dreamer feud into the Moose feud seamlessly, to the Eli angle and after this weeks Impact, a Killer Kross feud feels like a natural fit.

Also agree on saving Tessa/Taya for BFG if possible. Even though it was last year's BFG match, obviously now it would have the role reversal. Whenever it happens, it should again be fantastic. Of the three big matches, I think the street fight on Impact tied the BFG match as my favorite of the series, great great stuff.

17 hours ago, Alucard said:

Agreed with all of the last several posts. One of the things I've loved about Callihan in Impact is the logical progression from feud to feud, from Eddie to Pentagon to Swann, it's all felt really organic and smart. I think Eddie Edwards has worked similarly going from the Callihan feud into the Dreamer feud into the Moose feud seamlessly, to the Eli angle and after this weeks Impact, a Killer Kross feud feels like a natural fit.

Also agree on saving Tessa/Taya for BFG if possible. Even though it was last year's BFG match, obviously now it would have the role reversal. Whenever it happens, it should again be fantastic. Of the three big matches, I think the street fight on Impact tied the BFG match as my favorite of the series, great great stuff.

Agreed. That street fight was the bee's tits - right down to the ladies' attire. Tessa was sporting the Horsemen shirt, and Taya was rocking her Perros tee. It's the little things like that which are very cool & help to buy some good will with me. Also helped that the atmosphere & the crowd were with them the whole time that night.

Here's a random thing that crossed my mind: where the hell is James Storm? Did he completely drop out of the scene after his last run with TNA? Because I'd love to see a full-blown Storm/Callihan program if I'm being honest.

I know Storm has had his critics for being inconsistent or lazy at times, but I always dug the dude's work. He's a fiery interview when he wants to be. He's a great bleeder. And he's somewhat underrated when it comes to working feuds & getting angles over.

Give them a few months to build it up, and you better believe I would absolutely be there to watch a Sami/Storm brawl.

1 minute ago, SomethingSavage said:

Here's a random thing that crossed my mind: where the hell is James Storm? Did he completely drop out of the scene after his last run with TNA? Because I'd love to see a full-blown Storm/Callihan program if I'm being honest.

He just showed up at the Crokett Cup to challenge Cabana. But yeah, Storm vs Callihan, I'd buy. Odd he wasn't picked up by MLW too for some shows.

• 2 weeks later...

On last week's episode, during Tommy Dreamer (excellent might I add) promo, he mentioned Scarlett Bordeaux first appearance on TV was portraying Beulah's niece. Anybody remembers that and when did that happen ?

That four way brawl was something to witness too. Loving the slow build toward a Tessa and Taya match with inverted dynamic. Tessa is such a great heel, but she comes off like a cool girl as a face too, so I have no issue with it. Apparently Madison will be the first roadblock for Taya, as they built her as a credible challenger.

Also, RVD looked way better than during the Mania week. It's amazing the guy never altered his look at all. Same hair-style, same airbrushed singlet on black tights with black kickpads, same exact demeanor. He's 48 now. Damn, I feel old too.

A couple of recent news items:

-Jordynne Grace has been working without a contract for the past seven months. They gave her one, but she never actually signed it. Apparently, they just realized this and have been scrambling to get her under contract.

-A technical error led to Pursuit not broadcasting the main event of the last episode. The final 15 minutes consisted of a loop of commercials.

I guess TNA is and always shall be TNA.

• 2 weeks later...

Feels like with all the AEW buzz that Impact has really slipped off people's radars, not that it was sadly on many people's in the first place...

Have seen all their TV since Rebellion and think they continue to produce a rock solid, fun weekly show, however they feel like they are failing to create the kind of personal, engaging rivalries they were doing last year and which started to tempt people into giving them a chance. For the taping schedule at the ECW Arena I don't think they had Pentagon and Fenix which leaves a gap, and it feels like they aren't utilising people like Tessa and Sami Callihan as well as previously, as those have been two people that have carried feuds. Also feels like it's getting to the point that without the Lucha Bros, there is no-one the crowd buys as being on LAX's level, meaning it's harder to utilise them as a top act. Hopefully The North can be a good match up but they've already lost clean to them and have also lost to the old ECW guys which doesn't feel very forward thinking.  

A few other random thoughts...

Given how sparse the crowd was meant to be for the tapings they've done a decent(ish) job of making it look not too bad, although it's probably a worry for them that when ROH tapes TV there it looks more impressive. While I didn't like the fact they have been putting people like Dreamer and Van Dam over, I do like them recognising the history of the building to give the show a different feel.

I've never been a big Elgin guy but he's been really impressive since he arrived. For those that haven't seen them, would absolutely recommend seeking out his matches with Swann and then the tag match from this week with him and Johnny Impact against Swann and Wille Mack, it's really good and brings a fairly dead crowd to their feet.

I'm looking forward to Taya vs Rosemary...however the undead realm stuff feels way played out now. I'm not even against the presentation of it, more that it's been going on for months and months and seems to be meandering to no definitive ending.

I know they are trying to keep Tessa away from the Title for a little bit, but surely there's something better they could find than her feuding with Disco 'Bobby Riggs' Inferno.

Fallah Bahh is a really fun wrestler. I loved his title match with Aries last year, but recently he's slimmed down and is having some fun matches.

I'm not sure how much legs the 'Eddie Edwards' is a crazy person character has left, but he's an underrated MVP of Impact the last few years who basically pulls out at least a *** match every time he's out there. Does he wrestle much other places? I never seem to see him mentioned anywhere but he's a really versatile and solid performer.   

2 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

I've never been a big Elgin guy but he's been really impressive since he arrived. For those that haven't seen them, would absolutely recommend seeking out his matches with Swann and then the tag match from this week with him and Johnny Impact against Swann and Wille Mack, it's really good and brings a fairly dead crowd to their feet.

I gotta be honest with you, I was one of the biggest Impact boosters on this board, trumpeting how great they've been since Callis & D'Amore took over and urging people to give them a chance...but a lot of that went out the window when Brian Cage won the title and Elgin showed up.  I've always thought Cage was overrated, plus his goofy steroid monster meets futuristic gladiator look is SO DUMB. And I've never liked Michael Elgin one little bit. The thought of the two of them working any type of program made me cringe - never mind having it in the Main Event for the World Championship of all things.  I haven't bothered watching any of their TV since the last PPV, I only checked out the angle with Moose & The North against Dreamer, RVD and Sabu on YouTube.

Based on what you are saying I may check them out again, but Michael Elgin as a Main Event guy?  Damn, that's a hard sell.

16 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

A few other random thoughts...

Given how sparse the crowd was meant to be for the tapings they've done a decent(ish) job of making it look not too bad, although it's probably a worry for them that when ROH tapes TV there it looks more impressive. While I didn't like the fact they have been putting people like Dreamer and Van Dam over, I do like them recognising the history of the building to give the show a different feel.

I'm looking forward to Taya vs Rosemary...however the undead realm stuff feels way played out now. I'm not even against the presentation of it, more that it's been going on for months and months and seems to be meandering to no definitive ending.

I know they are trying to keep Tessa away from the Title for a little bit, but surely there's something better they could find than her feuding with Disco 'Bobby Riggs' Inferno.

Fallah Bahh is a really fun wrestler. I loved his title match with Aries last year, but recently he's slimmed down and is having some fun matches.

I'm not sure how much legs the 'Eddie Edwards' is a crazy person character has left, but he's an underrated MVP of Impact the last few years who basically pulls out at least a *** match every time he's out there. Does he wrestle much other places? I never seem to see him mentioned anywhere but he's a really versatile and solid performer.   

Agreed with all this. Eddie is greatness.

I also think Elgin has been very impressive here and as someone who used to hate Rich Swann, he's done a complete 180 in Impact. This past week's tag team main event was all sorts of awesome. Really been loving Taya's work this year as well.

Still a week behind, so I have not seen the tag match yet. The Swann match was indeed excellent (Swann has truly blossomed in iMPACT/MLW), but Elgin is always capable of having really good matches because he's a good mechanic who can do a lot of stuff. The issue I have is his deliberate style and total lack of personality. He works the exact same way he did in Japan, with that "look at me I'm doing shit" kinda attitude. And he's not been better as a character on promo, with his whiny little voice and boring promos about putting people in the hospital. He's as compelling as a vacuum cleaner, so the main event scene is hurt (not like Brian Cage was that much better, but he had this goofy freaky kind of intensity, and he's more fun in the ring too).

Taya has been killing it as a heel, really solid match with Madison last week. Curious to see her against Rosemary, who's someone I'm not really big on as far as in-ring work goes, her matches have always left me kinda flat.

Yeah, Eddie is excellent, can't wait to see the Kross match, now that's one guy who should be pushed into the main event scene soon. The clear MVP for me though is Callihan, and damn, his match was Fallah Bah (who's in much better shape than before) was yet another proof of that. Enjoying the Bah/Bordeaux duo too.

Gilberti doing a Lawler/Kaufman gimmick works for me, he's really good at it too. Tessa mentioned in the Jericho podcast (really cool interview BTW) that she really likes doing intergender matches too. It's a nice way to keep her occupied doing something different, as their women roster in not that deep.

The ECW nostalgia stuff is both cool and a bit sad, because 20 years is a long time. RVD still is a freak though.

Digging them bringing in Havok for their women division, also a plus having James Mitchell being her manager. The only draw back is she's going to be tied down with the Rosemary/Su Yung stuff. Just have her be a monster and have Mithchell cut great promos. I think it would've been from them to have the working relationship with stardom instead of ROH. They could've easily filled out their tv tapings and ppvs with those fun stable trios matchs and other cool things. 

My only complaint with Impact is the use of The Rascalz, they have so much potential that has not been tapped into (especially Dezmond Xaiver). It's time for them to not be geeks or goofs and be put in a more serious role. Hopefully this program woth LAX can bring it out of them.

4 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Imagine Tessa Blanchard having some killer matches with any of the top Stardom stars as well. Their PPV crowds are hot enough to really get into the Stardom girls.

Tessa vs Momo would be excellent. She needs fresh opponents til they put the belt back on her and not be too bogged down with the intergender stuff.

It's a shame this new era of Impact being a quality product happened when they have their worst possible TV coverage. Yet they keep bringing people like TJP back and signing folks to contracts. Is their India deal that lucrative? Is Anthem more willing to take more of a bath on this than anticipated? Every time I read about another Impact signing or PPV event, I have a Joe Swanson-like "how can you afford this?" moment. 

14 minutes ago, sek69 said:

It's a shame this new era of Impact being a quality product happened when they have their worst possible TV coverage. Yet they keep bringing people like TJP back and signing folks to contracts. Is their India deal that lucrative? Is Anthem more willing to take more of a bath on this than anticipated? Every time I read about another Impact signing or PPV event, I have a Joe Swanson-like "how can you afford this?" moment. 

I think it's Anthem. They offered Jericho 5 million to come in for 4 matches before AEW happened. RVD said part of why he went back is because they have "RVD money" now.

But yeah worst possible TV... Pursuit actually replayed last week's show last night instead of airing the new episode of Impact.

There have been rumours going around for the past month or two that they have a better TV deal lined up for this Fall.  They'd better hope so.  I know the Twitch deal has reportedly worked out well for them so far, but Pursuit has been a bust.  Tons of people don't get the channel and Pursuit has been cutting off shows early, airing the wrong episodes and doing squat to promote them.  The saddest thing is, Anthem owns Pursuit, but I guess whoever they have running the channel doesn't think Pro Wrestling is a priority. They need better TV.

As long as they deliver the quality, I'm all for iMPACT throwing money away as long as Anthem is willing to do so. The episode of last week was one of the strongest TV show I've seen on a long time, with a terrific main event. I must give Elgin credit, he's got the charisma of a vacuum cleaner, but thus far he delivers in term of big TV matches (well, the fact he's working with top talent doesn't hurt). Tessa blasting Gilberti was fun. Moose & North vs the ECW Crew was cool, Sabu looked much better there than during Mania week-end. The guy can still punch better than most too. And damn I loved Eddie vs Kross, terrific garbage brawl with a classic nod-to-ECW ending which I didn't see coming but made all the sense in the world. 

So yeah, they announced Swann & Mack have signed long term deal, which is great news.

I'm looking forward to Slammiversary again, which will mark one year of me getting back into the fold of current iMPACT, with delight most of the time.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)