Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

On 3/11/2024 at 10:46 PM, Tenese Sarwieh said:

Sacrifice delivered a decent performance overall, with Nemeth/Maclin's standout performance earning a spot in my notebook. 

Much more a case of Maclin being awesome than anything else. From what I've seen of Nemeth lately, I'm not overly impressed. He really strikes me as a guy who was thought to be great "by 2008 WWE standards", which doesn't cut it in today's landscape. He's good, but he's nothing special, and has some pretty annoying traits (the sub-sub-Micheals style mixed with some Billy Gunn stuff). 

On 3/11/2024 at 10:46 PM, Tenese Sarwieh said:

However, my primary concern with TNA is the stagnation in their programming, despite having talents like Maclin, Speedball, and Something underutilized. Seeing Bailey relegated to pre-shows, 

Agreed. I've not felt the women division either lately, it seems like Jordynne has no really credible challengers, and although Ash by Elegance is actually a fun presentation, she's not gonna set the division on fire. There is some really strong matches thanks to the MCMG/Kushida/GYV/System/Ali/Rascalz/ABC/Bailey/Maclin/Alexander (although he's not been given the most exciting talent lately, and Hammerstone is definitely seriously overrated) core, but something has been kinda missing, I don't see where they are going toward, and that's the first time in a long while it has happened. Usually you get a good feel of the long and middle-term feuds. 

I wonder about Maclin too. He would be lost in the shuffle in AEW, although he would be pretty fun in ROH for a while. Gimme Maclin vs Briscoe already. In TNA, he should be boosted straight back up to the main event picture really, but losing to Nemeth is not a good sign. I wonder if TNA is not feeling the absence of D'Amore already in term of vision...  I guess the key is what they build for Slammiversary. By then things will get clearer in term of what has changed, if anything, in the booking approach. 

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched Sacrifice and thought it was a good show but haven't watched TNA since. Their TV feels very stagnant and doesn't have as much energy as the live shows do on TNA+ or the PPVs. Doesn't really help either that they do a bunch of bulk tapings in different locations every few weeks. Not terribly excited about their direction either ... Moose vs. Nemeth and Mustafa Ali vs. Jake Something at Rebellion do nothing for me unfortunately but I'm sure they will be fun matches. The Machine Guns possibly leaving too would create a big void in the roster.

Can't really complain when on the same weekly show you got matches like Josh Alexander vs Tracy Williams, Eddie Edward vs Mike Bailey and Chris Sabin vs Steve Maclin. Ash by Elegance keeps on being a fun character, Xia Brookside definitely has lots of potential. AJ Francis does what he does, that is being charismatic and talk while the work gonna be on the shoulders of a way more talented guy (in this case Rich Swann, who really needed a change, so a heel turn is welcome). Mustafa Ali has been straight awesome in every way, and the ABC/Rascalz/GYV are high quality always. Won't complain either about a TNA OG Full Metal Mayhem match between Kazarian and Eric Young. So far so good, the next PPV is shaping up nicely.

Not sold on Nemeth nor Hammerstone yet, and Kon vs PCO is a pretty shitty program, but thus far the post D'Amore product really has not changed from what it was before. I wonder what is the status of Gisele Shaw though, she hasn't been seen in a while, she is also D'Amore's girlfriend, so there. If she's done, I would hope AEW would grab her, she's good. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thus far, the departure of D'Amore hasn't affected the product. This is pretty much exactly the same week-to-week logical storytelling approach, with regular really good matches, some fun segments (Ash by Elegance has been a fun character) and really good produced vignettes (the Gresham stuff). The build to Rebellion has been effective, some promising stuff on the show, Hammerston vs Alexander 3 last man standing, Eric Young vs Kazarian in a Full Metal Mayhem (basically TLC) match of the OGs, Mustafa Ali vs Jake Something which should be spectacular. The result of the main is interesting too, I could see it going either way, with Nemeth putting over Moose before moving on to other things or Nemeth becoming the champ until Slammiversary, possibly against Alexander (depending where his booking is going with D'Amore gone, the result of the Hammerstone match will probably be a giveaway). Leon Slater & ABC vs Rascalz on the pre-show should be a killer match too.

Best place for the three of them, really. Callihan was doing stuff in MLW, but that company is a hot mess. Been enjoying Revolver lately, and it is a LOT of TNA talent anyway, he's basically a lifer. Mike Santana is a good fit for the promotion too. He would have gone nowhere in WWE. Let's see what he can bring to the table in a smaller pond. And Matt Hardy, you know what, he peaked as a character in TNA years ago, and he's now basically physically broken, so he can have way more fun doing more cinematic stuff, and this will only get some focus in TNA at this point (although apparently he's still a free agent). Totally fine with all of this.