Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Loss

I was hesitant to start this, because sometimes people have a tendency to post things here that really do deserve a thread, but I'm going to start it now. I just ask that if you really think something does deserve a thread, make a thread for it.

Also, I'm going to open a new one every month so someone can easily read from the beginning instead of having to wade through 100 pages to catch up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit, an actual TSM-sorta-spinoff that's dedicated to... wrestling? I think I might shed a tear. I didn't even know about NMB closing, the only way I could get online for the longest time was hiking down to the local library and fighting with homeless people for computer time, so other than keeping an eye on the Pit I never got to waste my days posting away like I so love to do.

So... they're pushing Mark Henry again. Um, didn't they spend the better part of a decade making him do the stupidest shit possible, trying to make him quit, since they signed him to that huge 10-year contract before realizing that he was a crappy wrestler? Why the hell did they resign him?

Also, you know that saying "you could take that match anywhere in the world"? That could really be applied to the ten minutes of awesome that was Yang/Kendrick/London vs. Noble/Daivari/Chavo tonight. Whether it occured in Madison Square Garden, or Mid-South Coliseum, or ECW Arena, or Korakuen Hall, or the National Guard armory right down the road, that energetic little sprint would've gotten over anywhere. When Daivari is by far the worst wrestler out of six guys (and he's really not bad), you know you're in for a good match.

It's funny because you wouldn't think so at all, but I've found that people like Jerry Lawler and Dusty Rhodes are more likely to capture the attention of a non-fan than someone like Hulk Hogan. I think one of the reasons people in the wrestling bubble overlook for wrestling not being mainstream is that everyone involved is seen as some type of neanderthal, and it looks silly as a result. That concept is lost on companies that think a guy has to be over a certain height or have a certain build in order to be pushed.

I wouldn't say it's so much the case now, but there was a time when HHH was pretty embarrassing from the outside looking in, because he looked like a freakin' caveman.

Steve Austin and The Rock pretty much get sole credit (sometimes Undertaker, Foley and HHH are mentioned to a lesser degree) for the success of the Attitude era. However, I think the top guys get credit to a point where the guys that were working underneath don't get the props they deserve. No one can tell me the Hardy Boyz (and Lita) weren't big draws for the company. They had fans dressing like them in the audience every week and were huge with teenagers, especially teenage girls, in a way no one working main events really was. They were an important part of the company's success. That's not to say the company would have bombed without them, but the WWF wasn't going to bomb without anyone at that point, as their biggest year ever had Austin, Undertaker and Foley out for large periods of time.

You could argue that the Hardyz are the most successful tag team Vince has ever promoted.

You could argue that the Hardyz are the most successful tag team Vince has ever promoted.

Easily. I can't think of any other team which has moved the ridiculous levels of merchandise they have. Plus, they started working for the company about a decade ago. Yeah, Jeff had his "time off", but still, they've stayed together (and stayed over) longer than any other team in modern history.

I'd not argue against that, but like every promotional boom ever, no matter where in the world it happens, there are people who create a wave and people who simply ride it and benefit of the exposure for the rest of their life.

Man..Im not saying it would have been a good idea..but there was a brief period in 02 when they could have pulled the trigger on Jeff as World Champ

On TNA's last night in Nashville, the crowd was damn near ready to riot (again) when Jarrett beat (again) Jeff Hardy to retain the belt.

Random thought of the day.

Does anyone remember the old WCW "Prime" show that aired on the now defunct Prime network (duh) back in the mid 90s. It aired Monday afternoons at 4 PM in my market. I believe the matches were just Worldwide or Pro matches shown out of order.

But the funny thing was that the show was like 1 or 2 months behind current storylines. So you would have Tony and Dusty hyping PPVs that already happened and storylines that had already ended. I remember them focusing on the DDP "benefactor" storyline that had not been mentioned on Nitro or Saturday Night in months.

I believe the show ended once the NWO angle started or soon after.

Anyone else watch or remember the show?

Random thought of the day.

Does anyone remember the old WCW "Prime" show that aired on the now defunct Prime network (duh) back in the mid 90s. It aired Monday afternoons at 4 PM in my market. I believe the matches were just Worldwide or Pro matches shown out of order.

But the funny thing was that the show was like 1 or 2 months behind current storylines. So you would have Tony and Dusty hyping PPVs that already happened and storylines that had already ended. I remember them focusing on the DDP "benefactor" storyline that had not been mentioned on Nitro or Saturday Night in months.

I believe the show ended once the NWO angle started or soon after.

Anyone else watch or remember the show?

I do remember that show. They were a week or two behind in my market.

You haven't lived until you've heard Dusty Rhodes moo to announce a main event was forthcoming.

What was messed up is they actually announced The Giant would defend the World Title at Slamboree 1996 hours before the match he won the title from Flair in aired on Nitro.

Hearing the song in a commercial started my brain to wonder how funny/awesome would it be if when HHH makes his grand return the first thing you hear is the strains of "Ode to Joy" as he comes out in full 1995 blueblood snob gimmick.

I mean, he's already went back to being DX Hunter, why not go back two more years in the time machine?

I don't want this post to be overly self-congratulatory or anything, but I do want to use it to make a point.

It used to bug me that this board didn't get a ton of traffic. However, after just catching up on a 10-page thread complaining about Non-Stick Wrestling being deleted from DVDVR, I don't think it will ever bug me again.

I'm happy running a board that's really kind of its own quiet corner. We may go through posting droughts, and some people may only stop by periodically, but I'd still say that the majority of what's here is stuff I enjoy reading, and we have minimal drama or problems.

I'd much rather have a slow board than an overly busy board with tons of crap.

Completely agree with you there, speaking from experience. While we certainly have our share of psychopathic conservatives little problems at The Pit, I still like it way better than TSM's hordes of raving n00bs. Hell, the best board I'd ever seen for wrestling discussion was Coey's old Spidertwist forum, and it was never heavily-trafficked.

As for Killings and Konnan quitting? Good for Killings, this company pointlessly buried and ignored him time and again, plus weren't exactly caring employers after his on-the-job injury. As for Konnan... meh... does anyone really care? (Yeah, it's sad that the dude's health has been so terrible and yet TNA still insists on him working, wheelchair and all, but still... it's Konnan.)

I don't want this post to be overly self-congratulatory or anything, but I do want to use it to make a point.

It used to bug me that this board didn't get a ton of traffic. However, after just catching up on a 10-page thread complaining about Non-Stick Wrestling being deleted from DVDVR, I don't think it will ever bug me again.

I'm happy running a board that's really kind of its own quiet corner. We may go through posting droughts, and some people may only stop by periodically, but I'd still say that the majority of what's here is stuff I enjoy reading, and we have minimal drama or problems.

I'd much rather have a slow board than an overly busy board with tons of crap.

Small groups are generally preferable on the internet, as it cuts down on the silliness. Shit disturbers and douchebags stick out like a sore thumb and can be culled accordingly. It's better than dealing with the smarmy, pretentious and condescending nonsense that seems to plague the bigger wrestling forums. I guess some people crave the drama, even though it's about pro-wrestling. It's better to avoid that stuff altogether, and places like this are a good refuge from it.