All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With Roderick Strong's debut and Nigel's imminent return, is Chris Hero the most high profile former ROH wrestler that hasn't appeared on AEW? I think Davey Richards retired again, so I don't know who is left that hasn't wrestled for Tony Khan. Austin Aries? Only reason we probably never saw Richards or Aries is because of their past transgressions with women. Where is Hero?

Concerning Davey, there was this report: https://www.ringsidenews.com/2023/03/19/davey-richards-was-approached-by-aew-for-huge-match-before-retirement/

I didn't really understand the ROH acquisition at first, however I see now that TK was a *MASSIVE* Ring of Honor fan.

It got me thinking how Punk, Tyler Black, Generico and Steen were the only ones that made it in WWE from ROH. 

4 minutes ago, NotJayTabb said:

Danielson did ok there too ;-)

I guess that's not a huge surprise, the majority of the RoH roster over the years didn't feel like the typical WWE hire. Who would have put money on Steen doing as well as he has in WWE?

LOL - Dragon, of course. My bad.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

ROH was very much the antithesis of what WWE was looking for from its beginning right up to when NXT started. 

Right. Tbf, ROH actually produced more stars for WWE than what came out of ECW (RVD, Dudleyz). If we're not counting Austin, Heyman himself was the biggest performer that WWE poached from ECW.

6 hours ago, MLB said:

Right. Tbf, ROH actually produced more stars for WWE than what came out of ECW (RVD, Dudleyz). If we're not counting Austin, Heyman himself was the biggest performer that WWE poached from ECW.

Yeah, I was about to say that 5 people from ROH making it big in WWE is a number no one would've guessed.

Speaking of ROH, Fightful Select is reporting that Punk is pitching for Samoa Joe to be his first opponent. If that's the plan, then sign me up. It's a legendary rivalry that's also a fresh matchup due to the two not having faced each other in nearly two decades. And it goes without saying that the promos would be fire.

MJF is fighting with randos on Twitter. As someone who has drunkposted here aon a couple of occasions, someone take this man's phone away. Why would you publicly admit that an event you headlined didn't draw well? (and it's not even true, Revolution did quite well, just not as well as the shows when AEW was really hot).

It'd be wise not to make too much of this considering how strong ticket sales for Wembley have been, but it is a cause for concern. It could just be a case of the market being burned out. Vegas has never been much of a wrestling town, and the fly-in crowd seems to have gravitated toward Forbidden Door and All Out. Also, with Punk's return on the horizon, DON increasingly feels like a placeholder show.

I feel TK learned the wrong lesson from Revolution. A show that did well enough and surpassed very low expectations after a really shitty build and almost zero promotion.

DoN has had a more focused build up but as of right now we only have 2 matches that can be promoted  -and both of them are below the Iron Man match for Revolution, which was already a weak (ish) selling point- and the feud that has the most stars (Elite vs BCC) still doesn't have a match that can be hyped up to boost ticket sales.

Forbidden Door and All In can sell based on the "AEW brand" and the special feel of a PPV/big show taking place in a new market. Double of Nothing is going back to Vegas with little to nothing to garner attention with 2 weeks left.

We'll see if this Wednesday we get all the main matches booked and if they make any difference in the 10 days before the show. IIRC, Revolution was able to sell enough tickets in the last week to save itself from being a failure.

57 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

I feel TK learned the wrong lesson from Revolution. A show that did well enough and surpassed very low expectations after a really shitty build and almost zero promotion.

DoN has had a more focused build up but as of right now we only have 2 matches that can be promoted  -and both of them are below the Iron Man match for Revolution, which was already a weak (ish) selling point- and the feud that has the most stars (Elite vs BCC) still doesn't have a match that can be hyped up to boost ticket sales.

Forbidden Door and All In can sell based on the "AEW brand" and the special feel of a PPV/big show taking place in a new market. Double of Nothing is going back to Vegas with little to nothing to garner attention with 2 weeks left.

We'll see if this Wednesday we get all the main matches booked and if they make any difference in the 10 days before the show. IIRC, Revolution was able to sell enough tickets in the last week to save itself from being a failure.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying but Vegas's economy is a genuine issue. Inflation and a lot of price gouging. I know someone that's travelling over this year and it is triple the price of last year flight and hotel wise. Not really a Wrestling town anymore. 

If you live in Canada you are going to Forbidden Door. European then Wembley.

In general, the show has nothing going for it so far.

Collision has been officially announced for June 17th

Miro and Andrade being part of the promotional poster, with Punk sson to be in there is too funny :lol:

There's a lot of time till College Football season but I wonder if Tony will waive the flag during those months or will he try to book "PPV on TV" type of shows.

52 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

There's a lot of time till College Football season but I wonder if Tony will waive the flag during those months or will he try to book "PPV on TV" type of shows.

That’s when you appeal to comics fans and go full CHIKARA

40 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Now I need a comp for TK and a comic book writer. Is he Zeb Wells? :lol:

Robert Kirkman? Dan Slott? There are no money mark comic book writers?

It's probably Mark Gruenwald. Fanzine writer who cares way too much about continuity.