Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV MSG EDITION

KawadaSmile

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the Sasha banks doc on the Network. Nothing really insightful here. It was like the anti-Moxley interview on TIJ. 

Sasha gave no reason for being burnt out or being depressed or unhappy. It was 40 minutes of her just saying how much she loved wrestling and missed it when she took 6 months off to "find herself." 

I actually like Sasha less having watched the doc. Not because she didn't come off as honest, but because I didn't find her story to be all that interesting or even sympathetic. I mean, based on this doc, she really just wanted a vacation after 7 years - which is somewhat sympathetic, sure, but also, kinda like, duh. Not exactly the makings of a great documentary. 

Also, I'm not exactly sure why more wrestlers, especially ones that have established themselves to the level Banks has, still feel like they're "replaceable" or doing their careers damage by demanding a break from the road when their contracts are up or, in Banks' case, just walking out. Sasha Banks went home for 6 months and is now back in a position that someone like Naomi or Dana Brooke have been fighting to be put in for even longer (if I'm not mistaken). Abandoning the company is actually maybe the best thing you can do for your career. 

I think Sasha is very talented and one of my favorite performers, but the documentary is a definite "skip" if you were at all curious about her reasons for leaving. Its almost Stepford Wives-ish in how "happy" she comes off despite the fact that, y'know, 6 months ago she walked out of the company for, according to this doc, no tangible reason. 

I haven't seen the doc yet but it feels to me like it's kind of a PR move from WWE to rehab Sasha in the eyes of those who questioned her motives behind leaving after Wrestlemania. I think that everyone can be sympathetic to her situation if you find out that she was depressed and/or burnt out but she didn't do anything to defuse the situation. If she would've released a statement on Twitter or something explaining why she left because she's depressed and burntout to "find herself" as she said, it could've been a completely different situation and you wouldn't hear about those alleged tantrums for dropping the WWE Women's Tag Team Titles to the IIconics. So in the end, I'm not sure if that doc has accomplished its goal the way WWE Chronicle or WWE 24 or WWE 365 usually does.