Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV MSG EDITION

KawadaSmile

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWE probably doesn't even realize how it makes them look like Baghdad Bob to try to claim people will starve to death when they leave, when Chris Jericho is the AEW champion and Jon Moxley will probably be in one of the headline matches on their next PPV. Also the fact that Cody is one of the ones who created the damn thing. 

But yeah, there's no life for anyone outside of WWE.

I don't watch the regular TV  but based on what I read I know Corbin has been impressing people as of late with some good showings against a number of opponents - Ricochet, Gable - and a few years ago, I think he had a match against Kalisto that was good too. 

That being said, I do find some of the praise on the previous page to be a little funny and reminiscent of the praise that Jinder got a couple years ago. I know its kinda slim pickings in the WWE these days, but it irks me to see people praising abject mediocrity. 

I'm tired of all the guys who "overwork" - like Rollins - as much as the next guy, but Corbin and Jinder pale in comparison to comparable "bigs" like Rusev and Luke Harper and its not even an argument really. Obviously Sheamus too but, probably in a couple years time (if not already), Dijakovic in NXT.

Can Corbin be really good one day? Maybe. But the anti-backlash against him is premature. He's had some good outings recently, but come on, people, he and Rollins tanked as a main event program for a reason and its not just Rollins' fault. They were both equally overexposed and have been since last fall.

21 hours ago, DMJ said:

I'm tired of all the guys who "overwork" - like Rollins - as much as the next guy, but Corbin and Jinder pale in comparison to comparable "bigs" like Rusev and Luke Harper and its not even an argument really. Obviously Sheamus too

I think ALL of those guys are good. Like, obviously, if I were to put them in order, I'd have Sheamus, Harper & Rusev above Corbin & Jinder but I liked Jinder's run & at least Cobin seems to get some legitimate heat. I'm all for WWE trying new things & just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Especially for heels. 

Also, on the opposite side of the coin of what Sek said, there's also so much wrestling as a whole out there right now - which is more accessible than ever - people are quicker to label guys as trash & write them off before giving them a real chance. Imagine a guy like Dusty Rhodes trying to come up today. 

Corbin's like the current WWE developmental system in a nutshell: he was brought up before he was ready just because he was a big guy, was put in a position to fail where he was slotted at a level above his ability. He's closed the gap between his ability and his level on the card, but the company poisoned the well on him with a lot of people. He's going to have to work twice as hard just to not be seen as the annoying authority figure dressed as a waiter. 

I miss the Modern Day Maharaja.

I was surprised how short-lived Rusev as a face was. Felt like they had something when he and Nakamura had a 20 minute main event of SDL at the end of last year but then they just switched the title right back. And of course he and Aiden's tag team getting killed off at the peak of their popularity.

11 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I'd always assumed that KawadaSmile did a lot of drugs to enjoy modern WWE so much, but that post pretty much confirms it!

10 hours ago, C.S. said:

Mods, please change his username to KawadaSmilesAtCorbin. 

7 hours ago, SirEdger said:

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

A reaction only paralleled by Elias trolling the Seattle fans (not that I am trolling, I'm allowed to have some bad takes too!).

5 hours ago, sek69 said:

Corbin's like the current WWE developmental system in a nutshell: he was brought up before he was ready just because he was a big guy, was put in a position to fail where he was slotted at a level above his ability. He's closed the gap between his ability and his level on the card, but the company poisoned the well on him with a lot of people. He's going to have to work twice as hard just to not be seen as the annoying authority figure dressed as a waiter. 

That's actually a really fair take. It's not helped that the commentary team brings up his failings constantly, reminding us of his shit performance as Constable, of how he was the sole culprit for the low ratings at the time, etc. I don't think many people would have recovered that quickly after being in his spot, because like Sek said, he was put in a position to fail. I reallyl REALLY like the dude but being put at a main event program that long wasn't a good idea. 

Compare his push to someone like Big Cass, who also seemed to be in WWE's mind for a while. They were more cautious as to not insert the dude in a main event program right away.

7 hours ago, Coffey said:

I think ALL of those guys are good. Like, obviously, if I were to put them in order, I'd have Sheamus, Harper & Rusev above Corbin & Jinder but I liked Jinder's run & at least Cobin seems to get some legitimate heat. I'm all for WWE trying new things & just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Especially for heels. 

Yeah, at some point they kinda NEED to push other people. Not everything will be a hit, but I can't blame them for pushing other people like Corbin, or even Cedric and Ricochet, when we talk about faces. Hell, who would've thought they would push Gable to the finals of the KOTR? Most of us wrote him off by the 2nd round!

7 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Yeah, at some point they kinda NEED to push other people. 

Yes, of course. 

But I think the reason they kinda need to push other people is because Vince has refused to play his hot hands and his booking has purposefully halted the momentum of otherwise strong performers.

I know he's back in the main event now, but they iced Braun Strowman. They've iced Rusev a couple times now. There have been some questionable decisions around Finn Balor and Lashley. I'm not as big a fan as others, but McIntyre has had to wear two albatrosses since his call-up (Ziggler and Shane). There was a time not too long ago when The Miz was a very, very viable option to be the top heel on RAW - a role he really hasn't played since that one WrestleMania run. I've written elsewhere at some length how underutilized Big E is (and, specifically, that a Big E/Lesnar face-off at a Royal Rumble, for example, would've popped the megaverse).

So, yeah, they need to push other people...but only because so much of the talent they have has been cooled or underutilized. Right now, in 2019, a Strowman/Rusev match doesn't sound like a PPV main event any more than a Balor/McIntyre match or a (heel) Miz vs. Big E match. But there is an alternate universe where a number of these guys were given better booking and these matches would pop off the screen. 

I don't hate Baron Corbin. Looking back at my own reviews, I've said positive things about his work in the past. But, yeah, if you look at the roster for the past 3-4 years and imagine a scenario where everybody was healthy for that whole time (including guys like Rey and Jeff Hardy who could've been sprinkled into a main event here or there, not to mention Brock and Cena), Baron Corbin is not cracking my list of 20 guys that deserve to be main eventing a PPV. 

8 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Your LOLWWE moment of the week:

You know what's even dumber? When Io was hired, people on Twitter kept joking about "how this Lo Shirai they hired was really good".

To see that happen in "real life", in a much more serious setting, is just baffling. Think about the idiotic shit Ranallo will have to say now!