Pro Wrestling Only

Bushiroad (NJPW owners) buys Stardom

PeteF3

Everyone gets full time contracts and the idea is for them to build the brand with TV and advertising which was what helped NJPW climb out of their dark period. They seem to know how to promote wrestling so this seems like a win for everyone involved. 

Apparently, one of the reasons why Stardom turned down WWE's offer was because Bushiroad's plans were more specific while WWE's were vague (shocker, I know). Stardom was also afraid that WWE would cut down on the event schedule. Interestingly enough, WWE was hoping to also use that to induct Rossy Ogawa in the WWE HOF in 2020.

Goes back to what I said in another thread, Japanese culture is just not going to allow an American company to waltz in and do what they want.  WWE seemed to count on NOAH/Stardom being marks for the WWE name like the UK groups were and didn't expect them to ask even the most basic questions in terms of what the long term plans were. 

17 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I believe WWE's plans were "oh, we'll figure it out later." 

I always heard the original NXT UK contracts were so slapdash and rushed - basically a copy and paste of US-based WWE/NXT contracts that they broke UK and EU employment law. 

7 hours ago, rovert said:

I always heard the original NXT UK contracts were so slapdash and rushed - basically a copy and paste of US-based WWE/NXT contracts that they broke UK and EU employment law. 

It wouldn't surprise me. I believe a couple of months ago Toni Storm had worked more matches for Stardom than she had for NXT UK.

16 hours ago, sek69 said:

Goes back to what I said in another thread, Japanese culture is just not going to allow an American company to waltz in and do what they want.  WWE seemed to count on NOAH/Stardom being marks for the WWE name like the UK groups were and didn't expect them to ask even the most basic questions in terms of what the long term plans were. 

They're going to get a rude awakening when it's time to gather talent, loyalty is a biggie there. 

On 10/18/2019 at 4:18 PM, WingedEagle said:

Everything about this sounds very positive or at least promising.  Have any legitimate concerns or speculative downsides been raised?  Just curious what I may be missing.

There is a fear of raiding of the roster of other companies, especially after the incident where Giulia (one of Ice Ribbon's heavily pushed young stars) tried to jump to Stardom by quitting via text then showing up to Stardom's show on Monday. Personally, I don't see them going after companies with older rosters like OZ Academy, WAVE, DIANA, and obviously SEAdLINNNG. Gatoh Move and Marvelous are at risk with the young talent that they have but I don't know how much those companies want to grow. The ones that really have to worry are Ice Ribbon, Tokyo Joshi, and Actwres girl'Z. Those companies have a fair number of young talents and seemingly have a desire to grow.

Honestly though, WWE is a bigger risk to raiding rosters. Especially now with the Observer apparently reporting that not only is Meiko Satomura a WWE employee but that she has been one for months. With the level of connections and respect that Satomura has it's going to be hard for an established talent to turn away WWE if they pursue her. Also, if Riho continues her early success I'm sure AEW will be looking for more joshi talent as well. There always seems to be rumours of Kenny Omega and Michael Nakazawa hanging out at various joshi shows.

Giulia wanted to leave Ice Ribbon even before the Bushiroad purchase. Ice Ribbon has historically had an issue with keeping promising young talent in their promotion. Every ace they've booked with the exception of Sera Risa and Tsukasa Fujimoto left to go freelance or to another promotion. Ultimately, talent will always go where they can get more exposure and make more money.