Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite February 19

sek69

The post-show Cody promo was incredible. He's just knocking it out of the park right now. 

Booking wise, I'm not sure if they'll wrap up the MJF feud at the PPV or try to get another cycle out of it. I feel like there's definitely enough juice to keep it going a few more months.

Thought the opening battle royal was fun but man, Jack Evans deserves better than getting tossed out early like that. They should have worked that spot with Angelico and let Evans fill his time with more interesting stuff. And holy shit did Sammy Guevara ever eat that superkick like a motherfucker, it looked like it killed him. CIMA joining the Dark Order is fine with me if it means we get a prolonged CIMA TV run.

Tony crawling up to Britt Baker to avoid any more insults was a nice little running theme on commentary and Statlander is adding the things to her formula that will continue to keep her over. Shanna seems talented but is a little dry; maybe when they get that second show or the Women's Tag Division, she can begin to stand out.

I wonder if there was any planned link to The Dark Order and The Inner Circle sharing the same ringside seats...Saying that, Cobb/Moxley felt kinda flat but maybe I was building things up too much in my own head. Jericho having the time of his life at ringside was incredible though as was the post-match with Darby looking like a total superstar. I don't know if the Allin/Moxley strange, semi-alliance was planned when they had their match or if Tony Khan is secretly great at connecting dots but it added an extra layer to him coming out and going after Sammy. I have a feeling that Dustin/Hager will be a quietly fantastic match. I wonder if Cobb is staying on or not since I'm not particularly certain this was a great showcase since he was kind of an afterthought once the post-match got rolling.

The tag title match was suitably ridiculous and I'm guessing they pull the trigger on any turn next week? They're in a strange position where Page is clearly the one who should turn heel but at this point, absolutely nobody is going to boo a beer-drinking man of the people. It seems like a corner that is really difficult to book yourself out of.

That AEW cage is a thing of beauty, man. That's awesome and I hope they use it sparingly. The match was pretty fun and helped a lot by Cody getting colour early and just lawn-darting himself into that cage. The best spot (other than the moonsault) was in the picture-in-picture where Cody was dangling from the bottom rope by his feet and Wardlow was just smashing the cage into his face. MJF getting his comeuppance by Arn twice was neat and the moonsault was a crazy spot and well worthy of putting Wardlow down who didn't look half bad. He seems like a freakish athlete when you watch his training montage and the height and grace he got on the Swanton. I LOVED Tony's open-mouthed wonder at the moonsault in the post-match commentary. The biggest AEW Superfan of all is on commentary and it's fantastic.

Also, Raven was spotted sitting just behind The Dark Order when Scorpio Sky was brawling with them so AEW leaned into it on Twitter, as expected.

Not surprising with the Bucks winning the tag battle royal since it's been teased and them against Omega/Page will be nothing short of amazing.

Since he was in attendance it had me thinking if things fall through with Matt Hardy Raven would be a perfect replacement. 

Also I gotta say down the line I'd love to see s singles run from The Butcher, he has a great style and look. 

Britt Baker continues to shine in this heel role for her.

A gentlemen's three for Moxley/Cobb. 

Omega/Page was crisp crazy non stop action and I loved every single minute of if. 

The Cage between Cody/Wardlow is one of examples of why Cody in one of the big match performs today. 

Another outstanding edition of Dynamite that has me ready to order Revolution. 

Yeah, super pumped for Revolution. Genuinely excited thinking about the card!

And while multi-man tags in a go home show is usually pretty lame, the way they handled things this week, I’d be very down with an Inner Circle v. Moxley/Darby/Rhodes tag next week.

They showed Omega/Page watching tv backstage. Hmmm...

They really should just scratch the rankings idea. Great in theory, but five months in it has been meaningless. They don’t even show the rankings on television.

Solid show, but I didn't care for the tag title match or the cage match nearly as much as everybody else did. Legit felt that Statlander/Shanna was the MotN, but that might just be my Statlander mark side coming through. 

AEW needs to better space their segments and format the shows, still. The Nyla promo, especially with Statlander and Swole coming out after, would've been better served later in the night instead of right after the women's match, let the people breathe a bit. We also had two matches in an hour where the story was "hired muscle wears down babyface opponent for heel boss." At least the cage match had a memorable finish and Cody gigging, Cobb/Moxley had an extended chinlock sequence. In 2020.

Revolution is shaping up to be a fun show. Next week's main is going to be a snoozer until Page does something to fuck Kenny over.

What kind of amazes me about this show is that both Cobb and Wardlow lost clean but I don't feel at all like either of them were buried. I mean, both of them looked like powerful bad-asses and I think they both kept that aura even while taking clean pinfalls in a "henchman softens up the hero for his boss" type of role. 

AEW somehow seems to have a knack for getting guys over without always needing to have them go over. Darby Allin is probably the best example of this. I'm not sure what it is, but I am really impressed by it... [Jesse voice] and I don't impress easy. [/Jesse voice]