Pro Wrestling Only

The greatest cons in wrestling history

Bix

While his first PPV WWF match was going through tables. It also looked like he was pilled up on pain killers walking to ring. I have tapes with Gino interviews where Gino is clearly coked out of his mind and can't stop sucking his teeth, Shawn eyes were far more dilated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. part of it would be that Michaels despite having the image of a pretty boy is one seriously tough dude. Let's not forget that he is a professional wrestler who has and from what I hear still does put a lot of heart into his craft. He is one of the people who are dedicated and can go past the pain barrier. I severely doubt he's suddenly fine though perhaps feeling better in 2002 than he was when he got injured.

He was hopped up on drugs.

Look at his eyes and then watch Juve's XPW interview.

Most people on drugs are willing to go past pain threshold.

I watched his comeback match about a year ago it was like watching a Violent J match, difficulty with in-ring bumps but really throws himself at the table spot.

I guess Violent J puts alot of heart into his craft too. Or it could be just the drugs.

Rick Rubin bankrolls Smoky Mountain Wrestling

Seriously, what was this all about? A successful record producer pours finances into allowing Jim Cornette to resurrect every Memphis and Mid South angle he could in Appalachian backwater towns? Granted, I loved Smoky Mountain, I just can't figure out how THE Rick Rubin wound up funding this.

He was hopped up on drugs.

Look at his eyes and then watch Juve's XPW interview.

Most people on drugs are willing to go past pain threshold.

I watched his comeback match about a year ago it was like watching a Violent J match, difficulty with in-ring bumps but really throws himself at the table spot.

I guess Violent J puts alot of heart into his craft too. Or it could be just the drugs.

I was just making a point that wrestlers are tough. They can be hurting and you just won't know it or should I say the extent of it. Kobashi is a lot more hurt than what he shows for instance. Everyone of us has been surprised at one time or another when a wrestler lists off all his true injuries. They're just tough dudes who mask it. It doesn't mean that they're fine just because you might not see it right off the bat.

It's also that heart that leads them to taking drugs to preform if need be.

Ironically enough, Kennedy's "gift" in the Shorties section of WWE 24/7 today was HBK-Austin from WM 14. Now maybe I'm used to the post-comeback Shawn, but my first thought was "Jesus, this is the most jacked I ever remember seeing him look" followed closely by "how in the fuck is he taking all these bumps?"

Granted, he seemed to be in obvious pain from the middle of the match on, but he was doing stuff like the flip in the corner bump and flying over the top to the floor on multiple occasions. It's probably a pretty safe bet that he had some chemical assistance as well, but even with all that it was pretty crazy to see him doing all this with what was a career postponing injury.

A little painkiller and steroid won't kill you. It's not being a money mark that does you in.

Ummm....what is this responding to?

The post right before mine.

Of course HBK still does painkillers and steroids. I guess that's my point.

I was just making a point that wrestlers are tough

And I was responding that if you go into any hospital you can find a guy on PCP with multiple gunshot wounds and a knife jabbed in his major artery who still manages to fight hospital staff and police trying to restrain him. I guess your PCP addict is a seriously tough dude with a lot of heart.

A little painkiller and steroid won't kill you. It's not being a money mark that does you in.

I think TomK's point wasn't that he was on "a little" painkillers and steroids. He compared him to Gino Hernandez. That's not "a little" bit of drugs...and incidentally, it did kill Gino.

And I'm still not sure what the "money mark" thing was about. I don't think that was the connection TomK was trying to draw between Michaels and Violent J.

Also seems to me that taking comical amounts of drugs to blunt pain isn't exactly tough. I realize "tough" and "crazy" often go hand in hand, but let's not think they're the same thing. Let's see a wrestler work a full major league schedule completely clean. That would be "tough". Still would be crazy, probably even more so. But that would be tough.

Rick Rubin bankrolls Smoky Mountain Wrestling

Seriously, what was this all about? A successful record producer pours finances into allowing Jim Cornette to resurrect every Memphis and Mid South angle he could in Appalachian backwater towns? Granted, I loved Smoky Mountain, I just can't figure out how THE Rick Rubin wound up funding this.

Yep, this is true. Tim Horner goes into more detail about it in his shoot interview.

I think TomK's point wasn't that he was on "a little" painkillers and steroids. He compared him to Gino Hernandez. That's not "a little" bit of drugs...and incidentally, it did kill Gino.

And I'm still not sure what the "money mark" thing was about. I don't think that was the connection TomK was trying to draw between Michaels and Violent J.

Also seems to me that taking comical amounts of drugs to blunt pain isn't exactly tough. I realize "tough" and "crazy" often go hand in hand, but let's not think they're the same thing. Let's see a wrestler work a full major league schedule completely clean. That would be "tough". Still would be crazy, probably even more so. But that would be tough.

Bob Backlund.

Michaels is legit super tough. I don't care to go back and watch that Michaels/HHH match because I didn't like it too much. And I think it's impossible to actually assess the pain level he was going through in that match anyway.

In defense of the match, I want to say I do realise it is a true thumbs up match because I've seen how it affected people watching it.

Don't get the Gino Hernandez comparison... isn't there a rumor that Gino was murdered? or is that easily debunked. Anyway on that particular comparison: One has access to the best designer drugs out there. One got pills from Mexico and snorted shitty coke. Plus the age/maturity factor. I mean Shawn was probably a coke head to the extreme at that age but maybe he had better social skills (i.e. 350 lb. mufucka whos too big to OD) and got better coke

Talking about "tough" guys in wrestling is an oxymoron to me. They're fake fighting, not trying to become a legit wrestler or a boxer or MMA guy. Most of them anyway.

Don't get the Gino Hernandez comparison... isn't there a rumor that Gino was murdered?

It's long been rumored, but the autopsy says the official cause of death was a cocaine overdose, and there's no reason that I can see to doubt that's true.

Anyway on that particular comparison: One has access to the best designer drugs out there. One got pills from Mexico and snorted shitty coke.

Both were high as kites. Source isn't really significant here.

Plus the age/maturity factor.

Maturity? Shawn Michaels has one of the worst Peter Pan complexes this side of Michael Jackson.

I mean Shawn was probably a coke head to the extreme at that age but maybe he had better social skills (i.e. 350 lb. mufucka whos too big to OD) and got better coke

I don't know what this means or what it has to do with anything, but the point TomK was trying to make was that Shawn was stoned out of his gourd at SumerSlam '02. Not really about his entire history of drug abuse, just that match.

Gino died though. Shawn was/is taking prescription pills and whatever else, fine with me. It doesn't really matter.

Do you have a point or are you just stringing together random sentences?

Tom used coked up Gino Hernandez promos and the infamous "Juvi's Juice Bar" as measuring sticks for how dilated a really drugged up wrestler's pupils were and then said Michaels' were more dilated.

Gino died though. Shawn was/is taking prescription pills and whatever else, fine with me. It doesn't really matter.

Tom used coked up Gino Hernandez promos and the infamous "Juvi's Juice Bar" as measuring sticks for how dilated a really drugged up wrestler's pupils were and then said Michaels' were more dilated.

My point is, who cares and why?

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=5424984

The why part eludes me.

The why part eludes me.

Curiosity, maybe? Does he really need a reason?