Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - July 29, 2020

MoS

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

In any event, the key fact of the matter is that Human Tornado, the black wrestler at whom the promo was directed, was the top babyface in PWG at the time and frequently requested that heels cut race-baiting promos on him, including the n-word. 

What kind of a dumbass wrestler does this. It's such an insult to the hundreds of black wrestlers who have legit faced racism and slurs in locker rooms their entire lives. Who told this idiot that this was a good way to get cheered?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, MoS said:

What kind of a dumbass wrestler does this. It's such an insult to the hundreds of black wrestlers who have legit faced racism and slurs in locker rooms their entire lives. Who told this idiot that this was a good way to get cheered?

10-15 years ago people really believed that we were in a “post-racial” society where only slack-jawed bigots harboured racial, gender, or sexual biases, so it would be hilarious if they said offensive things because they so obviously didn’t actually believe it.

12 minutes ago, rovert said:

10-15 years ago people really believed that we were in a “post-racial” society where only slack-jawed bigots harboured racial, gender, or sexual biases, so it would be hilarious if they said offensive things because they so obviously didn’t actually believe it.

What a load of bullshit, really. After 8 years of George Bush Jr. ? The Katrina disaster ? Really ? Come on now. As I read it this was race baiting angle by a dumb-fuck pro-wrestler, simple as that. There's no defending it. Excalibur, Owens and whoever were stupid to go along with it, it's no better than Corny telling New Jack to scare those racist rednecks in SMW.

I can't speak too much about it because I've never seen PWG, but my instant reaction is like El-P's: sounds like a dumb, shock-value gimmick, something that's as old as wrestling itself. The more shocking part, to me, is to hear that this got "over" and Human Tornado was the top face in the company. I thought PWG was supposed to be fun and goofy?

In the late 90s, here in Cleveland, there was a wrestler (Michael Hellborn) who wrestled as The BasketNazi, wore full-on Nazi gear, waved a Nazi flag, etc. It was disgusting and offensive and drew 0 dollars. But one would imagine that JT Lightning (RIP) believed it would get a reaction and that's all that matters. 

None of us should be surprised that when indie wrestling does return in front of live audiences, there will *definitely* be various heels doing an anti-mask/"Covid is a Hoax" gimmick. Or is someone already doing this and I've missed it?

3 minutes ago, DMJ said:

None of us should be surprised that when indie wrestling does return in front of live audiences, there will *definitely* be various heels doing an anti-mask/"Covid is a Hoax" gimmick.

Be glad if there won't be any *babyface* doing the whole bit...

4 hours ago, rovert said:

Ummmmm...where? The only time I've heard this kind of thing was when many Republicans and conservatives tried to say racism was over because Obama was elected. Which was just so they could be racist and have an excuse. 
Now, there was a period of time back then where comics and DJ's were doing bits that were pushing the envelope and often crossed the line. And just like any type of comedy, only really talented folks pulled it off. 
And Indy wrestlers definitely aren't talented enough. That being said, I struggle with punishing people for some dumb bit they did a long time ago. It definitely should be judged on a case by case basis. I think Excalibur should apologize and that should be the end of it. 

5 hours ago, rovert said:

5 hours ago, El-P said:

What a load of bullshit, really. After 8 years of George Bush Jr. ? The Katrina disaster ? Really ? Come on now. As I read it this was race baiting angle by a dumb-fuck pro-wrestler, simple as that. There's no defending it. Excalibur, Owens and whoever were stupid to go along with it, it's no better than Corny telling New Jack to scare those racist rednecks in SMW.

A lot of people really believed that bullshit about being in a "post-racial" society though.

The movie "Get Out" was made in part to criticize that belief. 

This is, of course, not a defense of Human Tornado and shouldn't be taken as such - he sounds like a fucking schmuck, and so are all the people who went along with it at his urging.

It’s a shame that Santana and Ortiz are with Jericho because putting them back with Kingston would be great. I’m happy he’s signed but the roster is real big right now. Working on Dark every week is one thing but they could do with that second tv show.

Also, I've seen people complaining that Darby is getting the shot but that absolutely has to play into the MJF story, surely?

Just curious when that Excalibur clip is from exactly.

It seems to be a play on the incident with Michael Richards in 2006 where he yelled the n-word at a comedy club.  Excalibur's delivery sounds a lot like what Richards did.

Not saying it's ok, but it seems like they were trying to "parody" that incident.